X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rush
    vsn has rizzen

• Oct 2008

Is Ichiro "Done"?

It has recently been announced that new Mariners manager Eric Wedge plans to remove the iconic Japanese star from his customary leadoff spot in the lineup. The move certainly makes sense from a lineup optimization standpoint, as it is generally not a prudent baseball decision to employ a leadoff man that draws so few walks.

Read Full Article on Home Page...
  • Slateman
    • Apr 2009

So Ichiro's BABIP was, essentially, league average last year?

I think the issue is that Ichiro's batting style and swing doesn't have a whole lot of power. Thus, if his speed is diminished, infielders have a little more time to knock a ball down and still get him at first.
    The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
    As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
    If only I had died instead of you
    O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• Rudi
      #CyCueto
      • Nov 2008

Thats why he is changing his batting style to be more 3-holeish.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Slateman
        So Ichiro's BABIP was, essentially, league average last year?

I think the issue is that Ichiro's batting style and swing doesn't have a whole lot of power. Thus, if his speed is diminished, infielders have a little more time to knock a ball down and still get him at first.
        Yes, but his career baseline is substantially higher. That matters much more than the league average.

And his line drive rate stayed the same, killing your 'beating out ground balls' theory.

You are polluting two threads now with your nonsense. Please justify this supposed loss of speed, based on something other than his (still impressive) total of 42 infield hits.

Comment

Working...