Clear All
  • Bigpapa42
    • Feb 2009

2012 Oakland Athletics Thread

So it begins.

0-1
  • Bigpapa42
    • Feb 2009

Figured the As would end up 0-2 against the Mariners but nice to see them take a win and show some fight in both games. Then again... its only against the Mariners. Nice to see Cepedes to deep. Still really not sure what to expect out of him this season. Actually, trying not to expect anything. But he's one of the only interesting things about this team this season so its kinda hard not to.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

Had no idea you were an A's fan.

That makes two! Phantom is an A's fan.

Colon looked good. He only had one shakey inning, plus the homer that barely cleared the wall.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
        Had no idea you were an A's fan.

That makes two! Phantom is an A's fan.

Colon looked good. He only had one shakey inning, plus the homer that barely cleared the wall.
        Been an Athletics fans since the late 80s. The Bash Brothers, Eck, all that. Almost all my sports teams, I bandwagoned onto successful teams around that time - but I was like 8 years old, so I think its okay. With the As, my interest in baseball tends to move up and down, and its been rather down for the past few years. But I decided to follow closely again this year - and no, not because of the Moneyball movie.

If Colon holds together and come close to what he did last year, he can really help. Be nice if he can chew through 200 innings but even 150 would help things out.

Comment

• FUSE
          • Oct 2008

Bigpapa, where abouts are you from? I've been an A's fan since I was about 5. So roughly 92/93'ish. I love my team despite them consistently trading players away. I could never bring myself to root for any other team. My hope is the MLB and Bud Selig get their head out of their collective asses and give the A's a decision on the stadium in San Jose so the franchise can move on. Hopefully they grant the A's San Jose.

As for the A's this season, I don't expect much, i'm guessing they will be nothing more than a .500 ballclub. Anything better than an I will be ecstatic. I'm really interested to see what Weeks can do with a full season as well as watching Cespedes adjust and progress to MLB pitching. Go A's!!!

Comment

• Bigpapa42
            • Feb 2009

I'm from the Canadian prairies, where I still live. No such thing as a "local" team in MLB, NFL, or NBA. Which is why I ended up picking teams that were just doing well at the time.

To be honest, I've gone up and down on how closely I follow baseball over the years. Didn't pay that much attention in the mid 90s, just because coverage in Canada was dominated by the Blue Jays plus it didn't quite feel the same after all the stars of the late 80s left. Started following closer again in the late 90s, but losing Giambi just really soured me for awhile. I came to realize the Yankees were a bunch of cheats, but simply taking advantage of a natural inequality that the format of Major League Baseball allowed for. Looking back, I wish I would have followed closer through the mid-00s, but I got into soccer big time and that kinda took up my attentions.

Comment

• FUSE
              • Oct 2008

Always good to hear from other A's fans. We are small, but its ok

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                • Feb 2009

Cepedes hit his 4th home run last night. So far so good. Interested to see if he slumps a bit once pitchers have more to scout him on. He's already struck out 17 times. He could end up leading the league with that... but thankfully Adam Dunn still exists for the sole purpose of going down swinging.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

I completely forgot Oakland signed Manny Ramirez.

Oakland is playing pretty decent. What is the plan for Manny? Is he going to DH every day? Does Jonny Gomes go into a straight platoon with Seth Smith?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

May 8? April 19 was the last post by an actual A's fan?

That's a bad job by Bigpapa & Phantom.

A's have a shot at this thing! This thread should be ON FIRE.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                      Probably owns the site
                      • Feb 2009

Just picked up Chris Carter in the VSN fantasy league. Let's go A's.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

A's picked up Stephen Drew for a minor leaguer.

Say what you want about Beane, but he's done a fantastic job this year.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                          Probably owns the site
                          • Feb 2009

Say what you want about Beane, but he's done a fantastic job this year.
                          What if that is what I wanted to say about him?

Comment

• FUSE
                            • Oct 2008

I posted in the random thoughts threads mostly

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                              • Feb 2009

Yeah, I fail as an A's fan. Been following games pretty close but kinda keep waiting for it to fall apart.

Comment

Working...