X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leftwich
    Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Revisiting the Curtis Granderson Trade

The New York Yankees, Arizona Diamondbacks and Detroit Tigers are on the verge of the first major trade of baseball's winter meetings, a deal that would send Tigers outfielder Curtis Granderson to New York, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

In the trade, the Diamondbacks would obtain Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy, while the Tigers would pick up Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, Phil Coke and outfield prospect Austin Jackson.
    2 years later who is the big winner of this trade the Yanks, Tigers or D-Backs?

Originally posted by Tailback U
    It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

They all won. Good trade for all involved, im not going to split hairs.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
      No longer a noob
      • Apr 2011

It's closer than I thought it would have turned out. I really liked Coke as the Yanks set-up man. I thought that was a big loss, add for the Tigers. Never thought Schlereth was any kind of good. Jackson was supposed to be better than he is, but there's still time. I thought Scherzer was on the verge of becoming a star, but he's still a solid pitcher with the potential to be a good #2 for years again. Never thought Kennedy would turn out like he did last year. With a small regression, I'd rank them:

Yanks: Mainly because Granderson didn't fall apart, like so many before him. He's arguably the best player in the deal, so it's a safe play.
      D-Backs: Edwin Jackson still sucks as much as ever, but he's not their problem anymore. Kennedy is really looking good right now.
      Tigers: Jackson and Scherzer still have the potential to be much better than they were last year. But they aren't as of right now, so they get the bottom spot. Haven't seen Coke pitch much since, so I can't comment there. And Schlereth is just another arm.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

I'd like to take this opportinity to make fun of Edwin Jackson as well. I hate him, he stinks.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
          Beautiful Like Moses
          • Oct 2008

I think its definitely the Yankees but noone really did poorly here.

Comment

• Slateman
            • Apr 2009

All the teams made out well.

I'm going to go with the Diamondbacks. Ian Kennedy was the staff ace last year, and one of the best pitchers in the NL. On top of that, they flipped Edwin Jackson for a couple of prospects, one of which was Daniel Hudson. He has turned in to a decent starter, capable of pitching 200+ innings and winning 15+ games. Both these guys are young and could be cornerstones of the rotation for years to come.

According to fangraphs, Ian Kennedy was a 5.0 WAR player and Hudson was 4.9. Granderson was 7.0

I like the Diamondbacks in this. They had plenty of outfield depth at the time. They had bullpen arms. They needed pitching.
            The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
            As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
            If only I had died instead of you
            O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
              • Sep 2024

As Slateman said, you can dissect this deal and see that the D-backs acquired Daniel Hudson as well, which makes this a great deal for them.

However, I would say that all teams made out well if you don't do that. Yankees got Granderson, who has done very well for them, though Kennedy would have been huge for them last year had they kept him. The Tigers got some young arms, and Scherzer was pretty good two years ago- lets see if he can replicate that this year.

So I'll go Diamondbacks, Yankees and Tigers. Very rare to see a three team deal work out this way.

Comment

• Slateman
                • Apr 2009

It's just really hard to compare pitchers with every day players. On the one hand, most people would say that the every day player trumps the pitcher. But Justin Verlander just won the MVP (and deservedly so).

If you include the trading of Jackson, I have to say the Diamondbacks got the better end of this deal, slightly. They got one of the best pitchers in the NL. They got a very good pitcher in Hudson. And they really only gave up some bullpen arms that are rather easily replaceable.

The Dbacks also got David Holmberg, who is only 20. Could be a capable reliever in a couple years.

Granderson is tough to beat though. Especially with the way he carried the Yankees last year. We'll see how long his power lasts. But the guy could be a very capable outfielder for a while
                The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
                As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
                If only I had died instead of you
                O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• Garrett67
                  Glory Hole Monitor
                  • Feb 2009

I will just say that I miss Granderson in the D.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                    Probably owns the site
                    • Feb 2009

If Granderson comes close to his 2011 production, it's hands down a win for the Yankees.

As for the DBacks, Kennedy is solid but he will regress a lot, and he'd be a lot worse had he stayed in the AL.

Detroit got some nice depth back but no real star power. Jackson is a good defender but offensively he's pretty limited. Scherzer has failed to live up to his potential so far but he's still got a reasonable amount of upside and has put together a good season before. Phil Coke is your classic "just a guy".

Comment

Working...