X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Senser81
    VSN Poster of the Year
    • Feb 2009

How to rate the significance of MLB records/achievements

Here is how you judge the historical significance of an MLB record/achievement...we will use Joey Votto as an example...

If ESPN has Votto as the lead story and has a stat-line heading on the bottom of the screen with "VOTTO", then:

Votto has done something like hit 5 HRs in a game or batted .400 for the season.

If ESPN has a Votto story after an NBA game 7 playoff recap, then:

Votto has done something nice, like set the team record for most RBI in a season.

If ESPN has a Votto story after the regular baseball highlights are shown, then:

Votto has done something thats historic but not really unique, like hitting for the cycle.

If ESPN has a Votto story after Chris Berman is done interviewing Barry Melrose about the 1993 NHL Western Conference Finals, then:

Votto has done something only significant to a ESPN, like (this is in the words that I read on the TV screen this morning) becoming the first player in baseball history to have a 3 HR game and have their last HR be a walk-off grand slam ON SUNDAY.
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Last night, after a full slate of Sunday games which saw two walk off grand slams, one first place team complete a sweep of the other, and the Rangers continue their offensive onslaught while continuing to bury the Angels, the front page of ESPN.com featured one baseball story, buried as like the 6th lead. That story was...

Andy Pettitte started for the Yankees.

Comment

• Senser81
      VSN Poster of the Year
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
      Last night, after a full slate of Sunday games which saw two walk off grand slams, one first place team complete a sweep of the other, and the Rangers continue their offensive onslaught while continuing to bury the Angels, the front page of ESPN.com featured one baseball story, buried as like the 6th lead. That story was...

Andy Pettitte started for the Yankees.
      LOL at this and LOL at POS Pettite. Big exclamation that Pettite's last start was in "2010!", as if we can't remember that far back in time. Its less than two years ago, who cares. Pettite can choke a dick.

Comment

• FedEx227
        Delivers
        • Mar 2009

What insignificant NFL news were they excited about?
        VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Senser81
          VSN Poster of the Year
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
          What insignificant NFL news were they excited about?
          Alshon Jeffery caught EVERYTHING in rookie camp!!!

Comment

• FedEx227
            Delivers
            • Mar 2009

Vince Young redemption story!
            VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• FedEx227
              Delivers
              • Mar 2009

But seriously one of the top five stories is about Russell fucking Wilson and the Seahawks?

Russell Wilson opens eyes at camp

There's a reason I haven't been to ESPN.com consistently in years.
              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Chrispy
                Needs a hobby
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by FedEx227
                But seriously one of the top five stories is about Russell fucking Wilson and the Seahawks?

Russell Wilson opens eyes at camp

There's a reason I haven't been to ESPN.com consistently in years.
                It is actually the 6th story

But seriously the single greatest day in EPL histor, espn2 even had the man city game and they don't air highlights until 45 mins into the show

I know its not popular in the US but cmon.

Comment

• Senser81
                  VSN Poster of the Year
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by cpollack09
                  It is actually the 6th story

But seriously the single greatest day in EPL histor, espn2 even had the man city game and they don't air highlights until 45 mins into the show

I know its not popular in the US but cmon.
                  I am very turned off by ESPN's coverage of soccer for a plethora of reasons. But its ironic how poorly they cover their own sport. Instead of covering a great game or an exciting title run, ESPN would rather show "great free kick from Ronaldo in Real Madrid's 8-0 win over Recreativo de Huelva in Copa del Rey quarterfinals!".

ESPN is for retards.

Comment

• FedEx227
                    Delivers
                    • Mar 2009

In 2012, there's absolutely no reason to go to ESPN for sports news, highlights or analysis.
                    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
                      I literally know nothing.
                      • Jul 2009

Joey Votto became the first person to hit a homerun when he wakes up at 6:43am on Sunday morning, eats Cherrios with 2% unbagged milk, takes his shower with luke warm water precisely 34 minutes after checking his Facebook.

Comment

• Rudi
                        #CyCueto
                        • Nov 2008

I saw that stat about Votto being the first player ever to hit a walkoff grand slam as his 3rd home run on a Sunday. It reminded me of all the Tim Kurkjian impression videos because that is a stat he would randomly throw out there, something completely meaningless. Back to the point though, ESPN sucks. I was apalled that they didn't show the EPL highlights until 45 minutes into the show. That shit that happened in Manchester was something you honestly see once in a lifetime in sports, but it couldn't beat out a bunch of NFL MINI CAMP NEWS.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                          Probably owns the site
                          • Feb 2009

ESPN is now running this 2-minute package on how Donovan McNabb has hired a personal QB coach and is attempting to get in shape.

*b-roll of a shirtless McNabb wading around in shallow water*

"We even made him work out at the beach!"

Comment

Working...