X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slateman
    • Apr 2009

Broadcaster ratings (radio)

Via Fangraphs/

Have to agree with what they said about the Nats broadcast team of Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler. They're a great combo. Jageler did a few games for MASN. While he greatly improved MASN, it wasn't the same broadcast on WJFK. Would be nice if MASN would do a three man booth with those two and FP. But noooo ... we're stuck with Dave Carpenter

Also, I heard an Indians game the other day while driving through Ohio. Hamilton is exciting. Even if you're not an Indians fan.
    The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
    As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
    If only I had died instead of you
    O Absalom, my son, my son!"
  • Senser81
    VSN Poster of the Year
    • Feb 2009

29. Chicago White Sox
    Broadcasters: Ed Farmer and Darrin Jackson
    Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.8, 2.9, 2.8

Three Reader Comments
    • “I do think that given that right partner, Ed Farmer would be a great guy to have on radio. His stories are relevant and charming and he just has a natural radio voice/vocab.”
    • “[Actual quote from] Jackson: ‘It’s not rocket surgery.’”
    • “[Jackson's] finest moment… was his legendary extension to Hawk’s pre-game staple: as usual, Hawk began his segue to the first commercial break with, ‘So sit back, relax, and strap it down,’ at which point Darrin added, ‘Whatever you do, just don’t strap it on.’”

Notes
    Many commenters note that, while quite capable when he served as the color commentator alongside John Rooney, Farmer is less well suited for play-by-play work, which he’s adopted since Rooney’s departure from the booth. Many commenters note that, if the pair have a charm, it’s off the odd-couple variety. Other readers refer to that same dynamic as “hating each other.”

Don't know how these asshats didn't clinch the #30 spot, but I guess #29 will do. I tune in just because they are so terrible. The other day when the Tigers were killing the Sox, Farmer complained for 2 innings that every time Tiger pitcher Phil Coke threw a pitch, it was a balk. Not an exaggeration, Farmer literally complained after every pitch. "He's rolling his shoulders...thats a balk". It was one of the worst things I've heard on the radio. Not only was it annoying, Farmer was wrong. If its part of Coke's delivery, and he does it every time the same way, he can't be charged with "simulating" his delivery when its actually his delivery.

This is now several years ago, but one of my reporter friends got into a shouting match with Farmer before a White Sox game. Farmer was slightly tipsy and bragging how he made a kid's day by signing his baseball, and my friend told Farmer that the kid probably had no memory of Farmer's mediocre MLB career. Farmer became irate, screaming "You couldn't hold my jock!". Ridiculous.

Comment

• FirstTimer
      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

I liked when Farmer and Stone were together. Stone seemed to be able to keep Farmer concentrated on his job(play by play) while Stone had all the analytical stuff down. With DJ next to Farmer I think Farmer thinks DJ is a moron(he is) so Farmer tries to do everything for the broadcast.

Comment

• Leftwich
        Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Joe Angel has an amazing radio voice but he doesn't show a lot of excitement other than when he calls a homerun. I don't care for Fred Manfra though.

Originally posted by Tailback U
        It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

Howie Rose was short changed because of his partner last year.

Comment

• Goober
            Needs a hobby
            • Feb 2009

:heart: Bob

2. Milwaukee Brewers
            Broadcasters: Bob Uecker and Cory Provus
            Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 4.9, 3.9, 4.8

Three Reader Comments
            • “When I first moved to Milwaukee I was expecting Uecker to be in full Harry Doyle mode, which turned out not to be the case at all. True, Uecker is hilarious at times, but he takes pride in calling an accurate and informed game.”
            • “WTMJ (Milwaukee’s radio network) could pair a jelly bean with [Uecker] and this broadcast would still rate a 5/5.”
            • “Provus was really good by himself and was perfect playing off of Bob. I’m really going to miss him, Minnesota is lucky.”

Notes
            With the departure of Provus to Minnesota, Joe Block has assumed Uecker’s off-innings, although the broadcast is dominated (and positively so) by Uecker’s presence. A number of respondents take pains to note that, while Uecker is certainly capable of irreverent flights (ahem), they are not necessarily a priority for him.

Comment

• MvP
              a member of vsn
              • Oct 2008

I guess I don't hate John Sterling as much as everyone else does. Suzyn Waldman, on the other hand, really has no business having that job.

Comment

• SethMode
                Master of Mysticism
                • Feb 2009

I've really come to enjoy the Phillies radio guys this year thanks to my lack of TV. They are much MUCH better than the TV douches.

The "note" though about the recurring criticism about L.A. being hard on umpires isn't strong enough. He takes umps to task on a daily basis, to the point where it used to kind of be funny to now where you begin to think anything thrown to the Phils is a ball, anything thrown by the Phils is a strike.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

John Sterling is a self parody. I also think he is well aware of how bad he is.

Comment

• Villain
                    [REDACTED]
                    • May 2011

Charlie Steiner is great fun, but not with Rick Monday.

[youtube]8az6m8qgYeI[/youtube]

[youtube]ko8qNUNpm3k[/youtube]

I'd like to see how Charlie does with someone more energetic. He makes good, exciting calls. He knows how to ramp it up when big plays are happening. Rick Monday is too old-timey baseball and he's so boring. Old-Timey baseball is great when it's Vin Scully telling you a story about some player from the 1955 Cincinnati Reds that no one but him remembers, but he's just like Juarn Uribe. It's not great when you're falling asleep at the wheel because Rick Monday's drolling on and on about the importance of a good lead at second.
                    [REDACTED]

Comment

• strahanfan92
                      Meat
                      • Aug 2009

Listened to Jon Miller on Thursday for the first time all season, just beautiful man.

Comment

• MvP
                        a member of vsn
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                        John Sterling is a self parody. I also think he is well aware of how bad he is.
                        I think this is why he doesn't bother me. I've never taken him seriously.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                          2011 Poster Of The Year
                          • Mar 2009

For you guys who have never heard Reds Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman call a game, just picture me calling a Rams game during the Spagnuolo era.

Brennaman is the most soulless, angry broadcaster imaginable. He will rip anybody, anytime. In some ways it's good, because he's far from a homer and famously took Ken Griffey Jr to task for his laziness to the point Griffey tried (unsuccessfully) to get him fired, but it can be a real grating listen when things are going badly and you are already in a bad mood.

His son is starting to get the same way on the TV side. Thom Brennaman is a great pro when the Reds are winning, but turns into a whiny, angry vag when the Reds are losing.

Comment

• Goober
                            Needs a hobby
                            • Feb 2009

Joe Block was talking about fangraphs and pitch f/x data on the Brewer radio broadcast today.

My dick might have moved.

Comment

Working...