Cubs Close to Trading Ryan Dempster to Dodgers (Braves Turned Down)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Cubs Close to Trading Ryan Dempster to Dodgers (Braves Turned Down)

Not official or completed yet but here are the rumors

This would be purely a rental unless Dempster signs an extension with Atlanta. Chicago has not gotten his permission on the trade yet, which they need.

Randall Delgado is said to be the piece heading to Chicago if they can match the money and get it done.

11:05pm: The Cubs are asking the Dodgers for minor league pitcher Allen Webster as the centerpiece of a Dempster trade, …

• NAHSTE
    Probably owns the site
    • Feb 2009

Deal is either off, or was never on to begin with.

Odd. Keith Law and Mark Bowman are usually pretty solid on this stuff.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Could still happen, but I do find it hard to believe just Delgado would be going in a deal, despite the new rules for FA compensation. Though I think that deal would be a fair one for both sides.

Comment

• NAHSTE
        Probably owns the site
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
        Could still happen, but I do find it hard to believe just Delgado would be going in a deal, despite the new rules for FA compensation. Though I think that deal would be a fair one for both sides.
        That's a tremendous deal for the Cubs, they should take that and run. 5 years of service time in exchange for 3 months? They should do that.

I'm still hoping it falls through, because I'd much prefer to go after Greinke if we're giving up Delgado.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by NAHSTE
          That's a tremendous deal for the Cubs, they should take that and run. 5 years of service time in exchange for 3 months? They should do that.

I'm still hoping it falls through, because I'd much prefer to go after Greinke if we're giving up Delgado.
          I agree about Greinke, but chances are the Brewers wanted more than just Delgado. If it ends up being a straight up deal for Dempster, I'd take that deal and run instead of giving up Delgado and another prospect for Greinke.

Comment

• Slateman
            • Apr 2009

The teams are waiting on Dempster's approval
            The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
            As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
            If only I had died instead of you
            O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
              • Sep 2024

50/50 chance of a deal happening according to Heyman.

Comment

• Villain
                [REDACTED]
                • May 2011

11:05pm: The Cubs are asking the Dodgers for minor league pitcher Allen Webster as the centerpiece of a Dempster trade, …

Dempster Prefers Dodgers To Braves

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 24, 2012 at 12:43pm CST]

12:43pm: Dempster doesn’t want to be traded to the Braves right now, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. Instead, the right-hander hopes to be dealt to the Dodgers. While the Dodgers had interest in Dempster and were considered by some to be the favorites to acquire him, they didn’t reach an agreement with the Cubs. Chicago would lose leverage with the Dodgers if Dempster rejects a trade to the Braves, his second choice.
                [REDACTED]

Comment

• NAHSTE
                  Probably owns the site
                  • Feb 2009

Fuck that shit then, cut the cord. We wanted him to start tomorrow, at this point we need to move on.

Comment

• TheImmortalGoud
                    No longer a noob
                    • Jan 2011

Rotoworld

According to FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi, the Cubs have asked for Allen Webster in exchange for Ryan Dempster.

Webster, 22, has a 4.06 ERA and 85/35 K/BB ratio in 88 2/3 innings this season at Double-A Chattanooga. Baseball America ranked him as the Dodgers' second-best pitching prospect this past winter, behind Zach Lee.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                      Giants in the Super Bowl
                      • Mar 2009

Updated the title...the Braves are done here after Dempster said he'd prefer LA.

Sounds like LA is the Cubs' only option to move Dempster.

Comment

• Villain
                        [REDACTED]
                        • May 2011

Dodgers have all the leverage in the world on this one. They might really be able to pull this one off without giving up much. Dempster really wants to be with Ted Lilly again if he can't play out the season as a Cubbie.

And yeah, I wouldn't imagine him re-signing if he does indeed come to LA. I expect him to return to Chicago in the Winter.
                        [REDACTED]

Comment

• Villain
                          [REDACTED]
                          • May 2011

And there's this now:

Buster OlneyVerified ‏@Buster_ESPN

As of now, Cubs' plan is to keep Dempster and make qualifying offer to get a draft pick -- unless offers improve. Not close to LAD deal yet.
                          Jon MorosiVerified ‏@jonmorosi

If #Dodgers can't complete deal for Dempster, they have Zack Greinke and Josh Johnson on their list, as well, sources say.
                          [REDACTED]

Comment

Working...