X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

No Bartolo Colon thread yet?

I, for one, am shocked that another player got popped for testosterone. I thought the game was clean.
  • FedEx227
    Delivers
    • Mar 2009

Offseason stem cell therapy and a huge turnaround (ye old 2nd career peak) is in someway related to PEDs.

Man. What a world.
    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Maynard
      stupid ass titles
      • Feb 2009

fat people need steroids

Comment

• Glenbino
        Jelly and Ice Cream
        • Nov 2009

2nd Bay Area player popped this month... Let's not forget that the A's of the 80s and Barry Bonds are the most lasting images of the steroid era to many fans and that BALCO HQ was located in that area.

Ryan Vogelsong... Carlos Beltran... Cody Ross and Aubrey Huff from two seasons ago :iseeyou:

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

Not to be racist or anything, but over the course of MiLB and MLB testing a large number of the guys getting caught are latino. It doesn't mean they are the only ones doing it, I just think they are the group of players who know and care the least about avoiding getting caught.

There is no incentive for these guys not to take the risk, because they have nothing to lose either way. They want to make money and get their family set up for life. They came from nothing and they are just trying to cash the fuck out. Nothing wrong with that, but it's the cold reality.

Since they didn't have sportswriters blowing smoke up their asses about the "respect for the game" and "playing it the right way" like we all did growing up, they don't necessarily buy in to the ideal that baseball is a sacred institution that is all right and virtuous and blahblahblah ... They don't give a shit about that, nor should they. They are trying to escape the 3rd world, and getting paid a crapton of money to play baseball is the means to that end.

For most of these guys, the potential shame of getting caught does not outweigh the potential financial gain. Melky Cabrera will be back in 50 games, and then sign a pretty nice deal in free agency. He cost himself some money by being caught, sure, but not as much as he would have cost himself by remaining a fat slap hitter putting up -1.0 WAR every season. For Bartolo Colon, this might end his career, but he pocketed a nice deal of extra change from whatever it was he was able to do to his body to squeeze out 1.5 more seasons of useful baseball playing. A few extra million in exchange for a 50 game suspension, and stern lectures from the keyboards of crusty old white dudes ... not a bad deal.

I'm not even sure I have anything else to recommend in terms of solutions, I'm just laying out the cause and effect relationship here. This game will never be totally clean, and neither will any other sport where they keep score and play for money.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
            Beautiful Like Moses
            • Oct 2008

When's AJ Pierzynski's test coming back?

Comment

• FedEx227
              Delivers
              • Mar 2009

I said it during the Melky thing, he HAS to be on something. Only waiting.
              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Maynard
                stupid ass titles
                • Feb 2009

why does everyone get mad when players juice up but nobody seems to care when MLB juices the ball

Comment

• FedEx227
                  Delivers
                  • Mar 2009

Level playing field if all the balls are juiced?
                  VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• EmpireWF
                    Giants in the Super Bowl
                    • Mar 2009

They don't have TRT in MLB?

Comment

• FUSE
                      • Oct 2008

Both Colon and Melky are dumbshits, luckily for the A's they have a bunch of depth at SP and have 3 guys that they can just slide back in

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

When the news that Colon did some sort of stem cell therapy to come back, I knew it was only a matter of time. Sad, because I always liked Colon and was pulling for him to make a comeback.

Will be interesting to see how many other Oakland and SF players who could be on PEDs.

Comment

Working...