Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Mets set to offer $100 million to David Wright

The New York Mets will attempt to retain third baseman David Wright "for life" by offering a contract worth approximately $100 million, CBSSports.com reported.

Wright, 29, has a $16 million team option on his contract for 2013 that the team almost certainly will pick up. Unless Wright agrees to an extension, he could be a free agent after next season.

Both Wright and the Mets have expressed a desire to work out a long-term deal that could keep the six-time All-Star in Queens for the rest of his career. However, that would not only require the Mets to offer him a nine-figure deal, but also to convince him they are set up to win long-term.

Wright had a strong first half this season before tailing off after the All-Star break. He finished with a .306 average, a .391 on-base percentage, a .492 slugging percentage, 21 homers and 93 RBI in 156 games.

In nine major league seasons, all with the Mets, Wright has a .301 average, 204 homers and 818 RBI.

The Mets have another key player heading into the final year of his contract. R.A. Dickey, who this year became the team's first 20-game winner since Frank Viola in 1990, has a $5 million club option for 2013.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-...2971--mlb.html
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Hopefully he takes it because there was some talk, he could get more. Apparently, he wants to stay (as long as he doesn't get an insulting offer) and the Mets gotta keep him.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

Best 3B in franchise history, will end up a Mets icon, have to keep him around for life.

Comment

• NAHSTE
        Probably owns the site
        • Feb 2009

Yeah, the Mets have to do this. No brainer move.

Comment

• Slateman
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
          Hopefully he takes it because there was some talk, he could get more. Apparently, he wants to stay (as long as he doesn't get an insulting offer) and the Mets gotta keep him.

[IMG]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1160371/NickeasToss.gif.opt.gif[IMG]
          He should be able to. Zimmerman got 100 million. Wright is a better hitter than Zimmerman and a better baserunner. Defensively, I'd say Zimmerman is better, but Wright can actually stay healthy so I'd say that's a wash. Zim got an 8 year/120 million deal. Beltre got 5/80. I'd say if they want to keep Wright, they have to at least match Zimmerman's deal.
          The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
          As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
          If only I had died instead of you
          O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
            • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Slateman
            He should be able to. Zimmerman got 100 million. Wright is a better hitter than Zimmerman and a better baserunner. Defensively, I'd say Zimmerman is better, but Wright can actually stay healthy so I'd say that's a wash. Zim got an 8 year/120 million deal. Beltre got 5/80. I'd say if they want to keep Wright, they have to at least match Zimmerman's deal.
            Yep, it will be interesting to see if that does go down, because you could always make the argument that the Mets will be ready to compete once more when Wright is just past the peak of his career, so is that kind of deal worth it for him. From my perspective, from all that the Mets have gone through in recent seasons, you've got to keep that face of the franchise.

Comment

• EmpireWF
              Giants in the Super Bowl
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
              Yep, it will be interesting to see if that does go down, because you could always make the argument that the Mets will be ready to compete once more when Wright is just past the peak of his career, so is that kind of deal worth it for him. From my perspective, from all that the Mets have gone through in recent seasons, you've got to keep that face of the franchise.
              Make no mistake, short of David Wright giving an interview in which he mimics John Rocker, if the Mets allowed him to walk into free agency, the fan backlash towards ownership and Sandy Alderson would be like that of ancient villagers with pitchforks.

Comment

• Slateman
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                Then I have to wonder if he's not more valuable in trade. You're admitting the Mets won't be good for at least 4-5 years, why spend so much on a guy that won't be good when you're ready to compete? Especially since he would probably net you a nice return this offseason. They got quite a bit for Beltran, I imagine they'll get more for Wright.
                The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
                As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
                If only I had died instead of you
                O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

Working...