X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leftwich
    Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Shohei Otani

I just heard about this kid a few days ago. He's apparently some 18 year old japanese pitching prodigy being courted by the Japanese leagues and a few MLB teams.

High school pitcher Shohei Otani, 18, is being courted by every NPB team and at least three Major League teams, reports WEEI.com's Alex Speier. The Red Sox, Dodgers and Rangers have all sent representatives to Japan to meet with Otani, and Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News notes that the Orioles also have interest in the right-hander.

Despite his young age, Otani is already 6'4" and 190 pounds and owns a fastball that has been clocked in the 99-100 mph range. MLB teams wouldn't have to pay a posting fee to sign Otani as he isn't contracted to any Japanese pro team.
    OCTOBER 19TH: Otani is set to decide between playing in MLB and staying in Japan on Monday, according to a …

I think he needs to bulk up...a lot.

What do you guys think of him?

Originally posted by Tailback U
    It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Needs to bulk up of course to make it as a starter, but he's got the ability it seems. No posting fee will be huge for a team like the Orioles to possibly be in on it.

Comment

• Slateman
      • Apr 2009

I'm betting that MLB will quickly squash any team going after him. There's an understanding between MLB and the Nippon leagues to not poach Japanese players before they play in the Nippon Leagues.

That being said, with the development of Yu Darvish, I think teams will be very interested. He'll be a helluva lot cheaper with no posting fee.
      The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
      As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
      If only I had died instead of you
      O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• SuperKevin
        War Hero
        • Dec 2009

Japanese High Schooler looks to jump straight to MLB

Japanese high school pitcher Shohei Otani says he will pursue a career in Major League Baseball instead of turning professional in Japan.

Japanese HS pitcher Shohei Otani, 18, is skipping a professional career in Japan with the intent to play in America. He's a 6'4" righty who has thrown 99-100 on his fastball.

Does he go into the amateur draft or international free agent pool?

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

He can sign with any MLB team since he's over 16 years old and not signed to a pro Japan contract.

Comment

• 1ke
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
            • Mar 2009

Heez a Jap, Japs can do anything.

Comment

• Slateman
              • Apr 2009

No posting fee either
              The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
              As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
              If only I had died instead of you
              O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• SuperKevin
                War Hero
                • Dec 2009

If I were an American HS player I'd be pissed when this kid gets like 7 years 50 million as a FA and I'm forced to fall under the draft salary pool

Comment

• Villain
                  [REDACTED]
                  • May 2011

Shohei Otani Sweepstakes

Not nearly as exciting as Darvish, but it's a teenage Japanese pitcher throwing 100mph.

Find all the latest MLB news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Shohei Otani, an 18-year-old right-hander, was expected to be one of the top picks in Thursday’s Nippon Professional Baseball Draft. But he has suddenly decided to take a different route.

According to the AP, via NBCSports.com, Otani “will pursue a career in Major League Baseball instead of turning professional in Japan.” He has already caught the attention of scouts from several major league teams, including the Red Sox and the Dodgers.

The 6-foot-4 starting pitching prospect will naturally draw comparisons this winter to the Rangers’ Yu Darvish, but he actually throws harder. Otani was clocked this summer between 99 and 100 mph, though his command reportedly needs work.

“I think I will start in the minor leagues but I want to challenge in the majors,” Otani told the Japanese media on Sunday. “It’s been my dream since entering high school.” He would be the first player to ever jump from a Japanese high school to the professional ranks in the United States.
                  Footage of him throwing:

[youtube]jQvbx3SvMdY[/youtube]

Teams interested include Bosox, Rangers, Doyers, O's...
                  [REDACTED]

Comment

• Villain
                    [REDACTED]
                    • May 2011

For reference: 161kph is about 100mph, 155kph is about 96...
                    [REDACTED]

Comment

• Glenbino
                      Jelly and Ice Cream
                      • Nov 2009

It will be interesting to see what a Japanese 18-year-old pitcher looks like. Maybe he'll actually be developed to not nibble when he gets ahead in counts.

Comment

• SuperKevin
                        War Hero
                        • Dec 2009

Like I said in the other thread (that I started but I'm not bitter), I'd be pissed off if I was an 18 year old American HS pitcher who is forced to play for whatever team chooses him at a draft contract slot when this kid can pick his destination and make like 50 million

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by SuperKevin
                          Like I said in the other thread (that I started but I'm not bitter), I'd be pissed off if I was an 18 year old American HS pitcher who is forced to play for whatever team chooses him at a draft contract slot when this kid can pick his destination and make like 50 million
                          There was another thread as well. Merged them all together, and it seems Lefty started the first one.

I do agree with your point, but what are you going to do? Until it becomes more than just a one-time exception, I'm OK with it. It's a little bit countered as it's an awfully high risk move for a team to make, but from the player's perspective, I get it.

Comment

• SuperKevin
                            War Hero
                            • Dec 2009

Question, how come Canadian players fall under the draft and not international free agency?

Comment

• Villain
                              [REDACTED]
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by SuperKevin
                              He can't make that money (at least not yet). New restrictions in CBA won't allow it.
                              [REDACTED]

Comment

Working...