X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrispy
    Needs a hobby
    • Dec 2008

Source: A-Rod keen on Miami

DETROIT -- What began as a casual, joking conversation between New York Yankeespresident Randy Levine and Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria about the possibility of Alex Rodriguez playing for the Marlins may develop into serious trade talks this offseason, according to a source with knowledge of the conversation.

According to the source, Levine and Loria discussed the possibility of A-Rod playing in Miami, his hometown, but characterized it as a joke between old friends.
    According to the source, Loria said, "Alex is Mr. Miami, it would be great if he played here for us."

To which Levine is said to have replied, "You can have him."

A second source with knowledge of Rodriguez' thinking said the likely only place Rodriguez eventually would accept a trade to is Miami. Rodriguez has five years and $114 million remaining on his contract, not including milestone home run bonuses.

The conversation between the Yankees and Marlins was initially reported by Keith Olbermann on his MLB.com "Nerd Blog." Variety also reported the news.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said he has had no trade talks regarding Rodriguez with anyone and described the first report as "false."

Levine refused to comment on the conversation with Loria, and when asked if he would look to shop Rodriguez in the offseason, he said, "That's something we would need to discuss."
    Appearing Sunday on Ian O'Connor's show on ESPN New York 98.7 FM, Levine told O'Connor the following regarding A-Rod's future as a Yankee:

"That's like one of those questions: Where's the stock market going to be in 2017? Who's going to be president on Nov. 15?" he said. "If I had a crystal ball to predict all of that stuff, I'd be a lot smarter than I am. I'm not going to go there."

Rodriguez has been marginalized in the Yankees' lineup this postseason. He is 3 for 23, including 0 for 18 with 12 strikeouts against right-handers, and repeatedly has been benched and pinch-hit for in the playoffs.

"For all our fan base: Let's root for Alex, the contract is what it is, and he's there, and we hope he gets hot," Levine told O'Connor. "It's part of what we deal with all the time, just like any other contract."

It isn't unprecedented for Levine, along with ownership, to lead a deal. Two winters ago, the Yankees signed Rafael Soriano.

The question that still needs to be answered is how much of the contract the Yankees would be willing to eat. The Marlins may want the Yankees to take reliever Heath Bell, who is owed $27 million over the next three seasons. He could have some use for the Yankees, because Soriano may opt out of his contract after this season.

Bell could provide insurance for Mariano Rivera's return as the team's closer. If Rivera is fine, Bell could team with David Robertson to set up Rivera.

What began as a casual, joking conversation between New York Yankees president Randy Levine and Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria about the possibility of Alex Rodriguez playing for the Marlins may develop into serious trade talks.

I'll leave this right here...........
  • jms493
    • Feb 2009

of course he is....no income tax.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

ARod has played his last game as a Yankee. They wouldn't even use him as a PH last night.

Comment

• IamMedellin
        Everything Burns...
        • Nov 2008

A-Rod and his All-time talent/Mental midget-ness fascinates me

Comment

• FedEx227
          Delivers
          • Mar 2009

Girardi totally showing his ass during this entire thing.
          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Slateman
            • Apr 2009

Please, Baseball God, if you're up there, I need this. You fucking owe me after the Nationals collapse. This is payment.

Seriously though, A-Rod with Ozzie could not possibly be more hilarious.
            The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
            As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
            If only I had died instead of you
            O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• Rudi
              #CyCueto
              • Nov 2008

The women in Miami are more attractive than the 2 he was hitting on in Game 1 anyway.

Comment

• FedEx227
                Delivers
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Slateman
                Please, Baseball God, if you're up there, I need this. You fucking owe me after the Nationals collapse. This is payment.

Seriously though, A-Rod with Ozzie could not possibly be more hilarious.
                Ozzie won't be there next year.
                VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Villain
                  [REDACTED]
                  • May 2011

In theory, he could take a pay cut in order to facilitate the deal and still have the same amount of cash in his bank account because of the lack of income tax in Florida. His money will also go further down there. Plus the weather is nice and the media in Miami doesn't give a shit about MLB.
                  [REDACTED]

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                    Highwayman
                    • Feb 2009

I guess A-Rod has finally caught on to the retirement home like accommodations the Miami Marlins have. This is where players come to not give a fuck, it seems.

A-Rod would fit right in.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                      Giants in the Super Bowl
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                      ARod has played his last game as a Yankee. They wouldn't even use him as a PH last night.
                      No doubt about it. There's no way in hell he can come back in 2013 when they don't have enough faith in him to give him an AB in October ahead of Eric Chavez and company.

Comment

• kmanharris
                        Seven
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jms493
                        of course he is....no income tax.
                        As a professional athlete you get a W-2 from every state you play in and have those states withhold tax. Sure, he will have less overall tax because 80 or so games will be played in Florida but you get my point.

Comment

• Slateman
                          • Apr 2009

If you make 100 million, do you give a shit about state taxes?
                          The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
                          As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
                          If only I had died instead of you
                          O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• NAHSTE
                            Probably owns the site
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                            Not pinch-hitting A-Rod or Swisher for Ibanez there is one of the worst decisions ever. Girardi is fucking terrible.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                              2011 Poster Of The Year
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                              Not pinch-hitting A-Rod or Swisher for Ibanez there is one of the worst decisions ever. Girardi is fucking terrible.
                              I can understand Swisher because Swisher basically hasn't gotten a postseason hit since he was in Oakland, but yeah, say what you want about ARod, but that's quite the bullet off the bench that went unused.

Comment

Working...