Jays sign Melky Cabrera to two-year deal, looking at Jim Tracy as next manager.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woy
    RIP West
    • Dec 2008

Jays sign Melky Cabrera to two-year deal, looking at Jim Tracy as next manager.

The Blue Jays have officially announced the signing of Melky Cabrera to a two-year, $16MM contract. Cabrera is represented by the ACES …

The Blue Jays have agreed to sign Melky Cabrera to a two-year, $16MM contract, Enrique Rojas of ESPNdeportes.com reports. ACES represents Cabrera, who must pass a physical for the deal to be completed.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

• Rudi
    #CyCueto
    • Nov 2008

That seems like such a steal to me. When you see Torii Hunter getting 26M over 2 years, then Melky only getting 16 it's pretty wild. Sure you get the PED baggage, but if he is able to produce anything semi close to what he was doing this year that is a hell of a bargain.

Jays lineup is looking pretty nice with Reyes, Bautista, Edwin, Melky, etc. And their roto is probably the second best in the division as of now. Will be interesting to see how this team plays out.

Comment

• Slateman
      • Apr 2009

The question will be can Melky be good without PEDs. Or at least w/o getting caught.

I also wonder if he's a clubhouse issue. The Giants didn't seem to want him back even when he was eligible.
      The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
      As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
      If only I had died instead of you
      O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• Rudi
        #CyCueto
        • Nov 2008

FWIW MLB TradeRumors pulled this story off the site...

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

@JonHeymanCBS

hard to judge reported melky/jays $16M/2 yr deal. if hes star of kc/sf, terrific. if he's zaftig loser of atl, waste of $
          #analysis

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

Brett Lawrie be RAKIN in 2013.

Comment

• FedEx227
              Delivers
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
              #analysis
              Lulz.

If he's good, he'll be good. If he's bad, he'll be bad.
              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Rudi
                #CyCueto
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by FedEx227
                Lulz.

If he's good, he'll be good. If he's bad, he'll be bad.
                That's the type of top notch analysis we get from your White sox blog. You need to update it...we need to know what players are hitting the batting cages this off-season

Comment

• FedEx227
                  Delivers
                  • Mar 2009

Dudes are resting. I aint got no scoopz right now.
                  VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                    Beautiful Like Moses
                    • Oct 2008

I have slight worries about how hes going to perform when he returns back clean, and after that lay-off. It may have fucked with his mental. If hes anywhere close to what he was prior to the suspension tho I will be quite pleased. I see potential for disaster here, but im cautiously optimistic. I didnt think he'd get a lot of money considering the situation, but in the full scheme of things it could turn out to be a bargain.

Comment

• chicubs2003
                      Noob
                      • Sep 2012

Not a bad signing, well see how he is without the steroids..

Does anybody know if he got a world series ring or not?
                      sigpic

Comment

• killgod
                        OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                        • Oct 2008

who needs steroids, we got fans in white shirts

Comment

• trojan49er
                          Something Clever
                          • Jun 2009

Dude was a career .267 hitter before his breakout year with the Royals where he also added more HRs than any other year in his career. IMO smart money says he was juicing that year and just didnt get caught until last season. If he does come back truly clean, I doubt he looks like the Melky Cabrera that won the All STar Game MVP or even the Melky Cabrera that the Giants signed in the first place. I think its far more likely he'll return to the form he demonstrated the first 5 years of his career.

As for the locker room issues, I dont think he was a problem, I just think his getting busted galvanized the rest of the team and the lineup really came together. It was almost like the team said, "well, we can either give up now and pack it in for the year or we can man up, make the adjustments we need to make and shock everyone when we win the division." Honestly, the Giants as a team looked better without Cabrera. I think the fear was that throwing him back into the mix in the middle of the playoffs would screw with the teams chemistry.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

Melky will probably miss at least a 1/3 of the season with injuries.

SRS.

Comment

• Woy
                              RIP West
                              • Dec 2008

The Toronto Blue Jays have narrowed their managerial search down to Jim Tracy and Jim Riggleman, ESPN.com reported Saturday.

The Toronto Blue Jays have narrowed their managerial search down to Jim Tracy and Jim Riggleman, ESPN.com reported Saturday.

The job opened up when John Farrell left to be the Boston Red Sox’s new manager a month ago.

Tracy resigned as Colorado Rockies’ manager in October after the club finished 64-98.

Riggleman has been managing the Cincinnati Reds’ Class AA affiliate in Pensacola, Fla. He stepped down as Washington Nationals’ manager in the middle of the 2011 season when general manager Mike Rizzo refused to discuss a contract extension with him.

Toronto made a splash during the week when it agreed to terms with free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera and made a big trade with the Miami Marlins.

The Blue Jays got shortstop Jose Reyes, right-handers Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle, catcher John Buck and utility player Emilio Bonafacio for shortstop Yunel Escobar and a few prospects. The league is reviewing the trade.
                              One step forward, two steps back if they do hire Tracy.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

Working...