Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Dan Haren to Nationals

Per Rosenthal on MLB Network, one year, $13 million deal
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

How the hell is he only able to get a 1-year deal? Unless he requested it so he could get more money next year..

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Originally posted by EmpireWF
      How the hell is he only able to get a 1-year deal? Unless he requested it so he could get more money next year..
      Health concerns- I believe it's his arm or shoulder. His ERA jumped a whole point from his five year average last season. So yeah, this is definitely a ploy to get a bigger deal next off-season, and going to a hitter-friendly park will only help him with that.

Comment

• SuperKevin
        War Hero
        • Dec 2009

It worked for Edwin Jackson

Comment

• Goober
          Needs a hobby
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
          Really dude? It's almost as if you don't follow anything in sports outside of New York.

Comment

• Rudi
            #CyCueto
            • Nov 2008

That's still a lot for money for a 1 year deal.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

I think Haren is going to bounce back and be fine. I think the Angels made a mistake.

Comment

• Slateman
                • Apr 2009

Gotta wonder how healthy he is if the Red Sox passed on him due to health concerns.
                The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
                As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
                If only I had died instead of you
                O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• Woy
                  RIP West
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Rudi
                  That's still a lot for money for a 1 year deal.
                  Unless it's just a ridiculous amount of cash for a team that can't afford it or the player just really sucks, there's no such thing as a bad one-year deal.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• Villain
                    [REDACTED]
                    • May 2011

Basically the cost of a qualifying offer. That + buyout = his 2013 salary if Angels held on to him.
                    [REDACTED]

Comment

• NAHSTE
                      Probably owns the site
                      • Feb 2009

Angels should have kept him, espeically if the alternative was trading a useful reliever for Tommy Hanson.

Comment

• Goober
                        Needs a hobby
                        • Feb 2009

Due to the multiple injury issues, age, declining velocity, wear and tear on arm, etc. this is more money then what I would have been comfortable giving Haren. But it is a safer gamble for the Nationals then it is for most teams. Washington signed him to be their fourth starter, while other teams who were interested wanted him to be their #2, or even ace.

Comment

• Glenbino
                          Jelly and Ice Cream
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Goobyslayer
                          Due to the multiple injury issues, age, declining velocity, wear and tear on arm, etc. this is more money then what I would have been comfortable giving Haren. But it is a safer gamble for the Nationals then it is for most teams. Washington signed him to be their fourth starter, while other teams who were interested wanted him to be their #2, or even ace.
                          That would be a terrible ace... He barely played last year and actually seemed to wear down despite not seeing much action.

Like someone said before there are no such thing as bad deals but I'd rather take the risk on a younger Hanson.

Comment

• Goober
                            Needs a hobby
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Glenbino
                            That would be a terrible ace... He barely played last year and actually seemed to wear down despite not seeing much action.

Like someone said before there are no such thing as bad deals but I'd rather take the risk on a younger Hanson.
                            While his performance was subpar, he still managed to start 30 games...

Comment

• Glenbino
                              Jelly and Ice Cream
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Goobyslayer
                              While his performance was subpar, he still managed to start 30 games...
                              He'd thrown 215+ innings every year since 2005 until that point. I would tend to think of things like a 40 inning dip to your inning count for the past 6 years coupled with back problems and an xFIP that hit four runs for the first time in his career last season are all warning signs if his age and velocity dips weren't enough.

Still, if anyone can hide him it's the Nats in a pretty solid rotation and he'll have the familiarity of pitching in the NL again (not to mention the bump from switching leagues). I'm not upset that the Angels chose not to give him $16 mil and the #3 rotation spot but I wouldn't be too upset to see Haren prove me wrong at this point either.

He's on a fun NL team and he put in work for the Angels and didn't cause problems. I wish him all the best.

Comment

Working...