X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goober
    Needs a hobby
    • Feb 2009

Jeffrey Loria needs to fire his Public Relations Staff

Outside the Lines examines Jeffrey Loria's public relations campaign to try and win back angry Marlins fans.

Keith Law owns the marlins guy.
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

I fulfilled my promise in the new ballpark last year. It didn't work. So what do you do? Go back again and lose more games? We needed to do something to beef up the organization.

We have some very exciting young players here. We need to bring them along and develop our own stars, or else we're going to be a last-place team forever.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2013/st...-2012-promises
    Oh Loria, you shyster you.

Comment

• SuperKevin
      War Hero
      • Dec 2009

If he wants to win back Marlins fans he should offer to pay them each 100 dollars. I'm sure he can afford the 2400 dollar loss

Comment

• Youk
        Posts too much
        • Feb 2009

Beef up the organization? You keep the core of your team and try to build the rest of it. Blowing up the team after one year is a terrible idea. Even the shitty Mets gave the Mo Vaughn, Jeromy Burnitz, Roberto Alomar, Derek Bell team a couple seasons. He's been going out and trying to fix the public's perception of the team, but he's just attracting attention to the team. The best thing for him would have been to take a backseat and let some other news stories come out to overshadow the team. There is nothing he could say that could fix it right now, besides have a winning ballclub.

EDIT: I'm less than a minute into this and I'm laughing. It's going to be a disaster. "Yea, I'm disappointed, last year wasn't great." No shit, no one is disappointed because of the results, everyone is disappointed because of the dismantling of the team. The Marlins couldn't even grab the Blue Jays top prospect.

He doesn't know half of the players.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          Highwayman
          • Feb 2009

Loria should fire himself.

Donald Sterling would like to thank Loria for becoming the worst owner in sports. Nevermind that he's a fucking cunt of a dude, too.

Comment

• Goober
            Needs a hobby
            • Feb 2009

I don't remember where I read it but, supposedly if Loria sells the team before 2015 he has to split the profits with the city of Miami. That was part of the stadium agreement. Wouldn't be surprised if the team goes up for sale in two years though.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Here is what I don't get about this whole ordeal.

These Marlins "fans" weren't going to the games last season, the place was always empty. Clearly nobody cares. So why all the uproar about tearing apart a team that not only nobody cared about or bought tickets to see, but also stunk? If the people of Miami cared so much, why couldn't they be bothered to come even close to filling the place up?

Loria had a losing team and an empty stadium. So he traded away his most expensive players. What am I missing here? I understand the guy is a cock, but in this case is he really wrong? Remember too, that they didn't throw in the towel right away last season. They traded for Carlos Lee (I know, but that's not the point) and made a half ass effort to get back in the race before they traded Hanley and gave up.

Comment

• Youk
                Posts too much
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD

These Marlins "fans" weren't going to the games last season, the place was always empty. Clearly nobody cares. So why all the uproar about tearing apart a team that not only nobody cared about or bought tickets to see, but also stunk? If the people of Miami cared so much, why couldn't they be bothered to come even close to filling the place up?

Loria had a losing team and an empty stadium. So he traded away his most expensive players. What am I missing here? I understand the guy is a cock, but in this case is he really wrong? Remember too, that they didn't throw in the towel right away last season. They traded for Carlos Lee (I know, but that's not the point) and made a half ass effort to get back in the race before they traded Hanley and gave up.
                Yea, that makes sense, but I'd say a lot more of the uproar is media based rather than fan based. This isn't like the Cincinnati Bengals having fans marching in a pregame protest parade, this is just a ton of articles written about the situation and how bad it is, with some fan interviews.

Yes, ticket sales were absolutely terrible last season, but they will be even worse this season, though the difference being that the payroll is so low that it won't really matter. Is that how a team should operate, or should the owner make a small investment, a loss for a season or two, hoping that the team will turn it around and sell tickets? Big names are not going to work in Miami, you need to have the wins coming. To be honest, that might not even be true. I know Tampa still has huge attendance problems, even though they had consistently been competing for the AL east title, and been playoff bound. That attitude could also be down in Miami! But just having big names that never produced a good on the field product will not work for a team that does not already have a solid fan base. They need to to to create one, not just give up on that after the season.

What you said makes complete sense, though. My biggest issue wold be with the Marlins saying the have championship caliber players. Come on guys. The Blue Jays wouldn't even give you their best prospect for Reyes, Buehlre, and Johnson, but the Mets grabbed him for Dickey and Thole. Don't sugar coat this as a championship team, even in 2-3 years. Tell me the truth, that the teams who are winning right now have young talent that is homegrown, mixed with free agents (even though they had that before...), and they need a place to start. There's a better PR plan.

Comment

• Goober
                  Needs a hobby
                  • Feb 2009

Relative to the rest of MLB, the Marlins ticket sales were terrible last year. But when compared to the typical Marlins year, they had great sales. Highest attendance since 1997. Obviously attendance is going to plummet this year, I'm looking forward to seeing just how bad it is. I'm hoping they draw 2004 Montreal type numbers.

Loria has burnt every bridge he had in Miami, and I really don't see him being able to improve the situation.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Goobyslayer
                    Relative to the rest of MLB, the Marlins ticket sales were terrible last year. But when compared to the typical Marlins year, they had great sales. Highest attendance since 1997. Obviously attendance is going to plummet this year, I'm looking forward to seeing just how bad it is. I'm hoping they draw 2004 Montreal type numbers.

Loria has burnt every bridge he had in Miami, and I really don't see him being able to improve the situation.
                    I agree, I would love to see games where there are clearly 500 or so people in the place, but they announce 8,000. I always enjoy that.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                      Probably owns the site
                      • Feb 2009

Because they are paying for the stadium.

Comment

Working...