Wily Peralta. What is this schmucks deal? Poor makeup?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goober
    Needs a hobby
    • Feb 2009

Wily Peralta. What is this schmucks deal? Poor makeup?

The Brewer's #1 prospect this year has been pretty terrible despite a live arm.

4.99 K/9, 3.62 BB/9, 52.9% ground ball rate, 5.58 ERA, 4.59 FIP.

Despite a good groundball rate, and strong stuff (average fastball velocity is 94.5 mph (third highest among all starting pitchers this year), Peralta has struggled. He can't strike anyone out. He has been prone to the big inning, and doesn't appear to have the mental fortitude to recover after working himself into a tight spot.

What would you guys do with him? Send him down to AAA to figure it out and hopefully improve his confidence? Or keep him in Milwaukee to continue plodding away. It should be noted that the Brewer's season is over, so winning is not the objective. Peralta's long term development as a pitcher should be the focus here.

I know it is taboo to post about your own team. But I thought this would be an interesting case study on young pitching development.
  • SuperKevin
    War Hero
    • Dec 2009

His problem is he plays for the Brewers

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

I'm a firm believer in letting a young starter take his lumps in the majors, assuming the team is not in a position to win.

Comment

• Goober
        Needs a hobby
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
        I'm a firm believer in letting a young starter take his lumps in the majors, assuming the team is not in a position to win.
        I think this is usually the case, but what about cases such as Peralta's where it's clear he has a very poor mental makeup? Is there a solution for that? Do you just hope for the best? How does he ever recover if he's getting beat down every five days, with really nothing to boost his confidence?

When I watch Peralta pitch it's always the same thing. At the first sign of trouble it's, "here we go again," as he immediately falls apart.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Goobyslayer
          I think this is usually the case, but what about cases such as Peralta's where it's clear he has a very poor mental makeup? Is there a solution for that? Do you just hope for the best? How does he ever recover if he's getting beat down every five days, with really nothing to boost his confidence?

When I watch Peralta pitch it's always the same thing. At the first sign of trouble it's, "here we go again," as he immediately falls apart.
          If he's mentally fragile, sending him packing to AAA won't help either.

Slap him on the back, tell him to keep working hard, and see if he can make some improvements.

Comment

• MVPete
            Old School
            • Mar 2008

This feels very similar to Henderson Alvarez last year, where his K/9 was extremely low with a decent fastball but the Blue Jays had no choice to keep him in there because of injuries to their other starters. He was a great case for a guy that needed more work on his off speed and breaking ball pitches but they needed a body.

Comment

• Goober
              Needs a hobby
              • Feb 2009

Since I made this thread Peralta has made three starts, 21.1 IP, 1 ER, 19 K, 8 BB.

Much better, he has cut his ERA by a full run.

Comment

• strahanfan92
                Meat
                • Aug 2009

Wily has been stellar in July.

Comment

• Woy
                  RIP West
                  • Dec 2008

Wily's July performance even brought Moneyman out of hiding!

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

Working...