Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Pedroia, Red Sox talking $100 million extension

BOSTON -- Last month, general manager Ben Cherington said it was only a matter of time before the Red Sox renewed talks that began last winter with Dustin Pedroia regarding a contract extension for the second baseman.

That time has come. No sense in waiting to see what kind of dollars new agent Jay-Z commands for his hottest baseball client, Robinson Cano, who is entering free agency after the season.

According to a major league source, the Red Sox made a formal offer to Pedroia and his New York-based agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, over the All-Star break in New York, where Pedroia coincidentally replaced Cano in the American League lineup after the Yankees second baseman was struck by a pitch.

Yahoo! Sports reported the deal could be in the $100 million range and average more than $20 million a year, which by annual average value would make Pedroia the second-highest-paid middle infielder in the game's history, eclipsing the $18.9 million per-year average Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter had in the 10-year, $189 million deal he signed in 2001. (Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was still playing shortstop when he signed a 10-year, $252 million deal with the Texas Rangers in 2000.) However, Cano is expected to seek more in both dollars and years than Pedroia.

Pedroia said after Boston's 4-2 win over the New York Yankees on Friday night that he had nothing to say about the status of the negotiations, although he embraced the idea of remaining with the Red Sox, the team that was derided in some circles for making the former Arizona State star its first pick of the 2004 draft (65th overall).

"This is all I know," said Pedroia, who will turn 30 on Aug 17. "These guys are my family. If it got to that point, it would be great."

Cherington wrote in an email that he had no comment.

On Thursday, Red Sox principal owner John W. Henry said there was no urgency to getting a deal done with Pedroia, who was the AL's rookie of the year in 2007 and the league MVP in 2008, and is playing at a similar elite level this season, posting a line of .316/.394/.434 (BA/OBP/SLG) while making just one error at second base.

Last month, Cherington talked about the club's desire to extend Pedroia, who has played in all but one of the team's first 98 games this season despite tearing the ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb on Opening Day while sliding headfirst into first base against the Yankees -- with a six-run lead.

"Speaking generally about Dustin, he's certainly a guy we think very highly of, and he's a huge part of the organization, not just this team. He represents a lot of what we're all about," Cherington said.

"It's our sincere hope he's here for a long time; that's all I can say. We've got a good enough relationship with Dustin and his representatives that those conversations will happen over time. At the right time, we'll just have to see down the road what comes of it."

Pedroia is being paid $10 million this season and has another $10 million owed him in 2014, the last year of the six-year, $40.5 million deal he signed after his MVP season. There is an $11 million club option in 2015, with a $500,000 buyout.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...on-report-says
  • Goober
    Needs a hobby
    • Feb 2009

This seems unnecessary, they have Pedroia signed for two more years (through his age 32 season). I'd wait and see how his health is in a few years before locking in his mid thirty seasons.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Highwayman
      • Feb 2009

That is going to be one gross contract.

Comment

• Goober
        Needs a hobby
        • Feb 2009

Deal is done, although it's not as bad as what was reported a few days ago. I was under the impression that this would be a 5 year, 100 million deal; but it is actually for 7 years, 100 million. Which is a lot more manageable (average salary). I still think it was hasty to sign him now, but Pedroia is a damn good player and a franchise like Boston can afford it, even if it will likely provide negative value at the tail end.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Goobyslayer
          Deal is done, although it's not as bad as what was reported a few days ago. I was under the impression that this would be a 5 year, 100 million deal; but it is actually for 7 years, 100 million. Which is a lot more manageable (average salary). I still think it was hasty to sign him now, but Pedroia is a damn good player and a franchise like Boston can afford it, even if it will likely provide negative value at the tail end.
          It's also not improbable that Pedroia can still put up an above average season or two near the back end either. For the player who has essentially taken over as the face of the franchise, it's a much better deal certainly over seven years.

On a related note, is this the end for Jacoby Ellsbury after the season?

Comment

Working...