Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Peavy dealt to Red Sox

The White Sox have traded starting pitcher Jake Peavy to the Red Sox in a three-team trade, the Red Sox have announced.

Peavy heads to the Red Sox, infielder Jose Iglesias goes to the Tigers and outfielder Avisail Garcia is headed to the White Sox. The Tigers are also sending the Red Sox reliever Brayan Villarreal. Additionally, there are three lower-level prospects headed from the Red Sox to the White Sox, pitchers J.B. Wendelken and Francelis Montas and infielder Cleuluis Rondon.

Peavy, 32, is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 76 strikeouts in 80 innings this season. He's a three-time All-Star and won the 2007 NL Cy Young award.

Peavy was set to be one of baseball's elite pitchers for quite a while until a serious lat injury in 2010. Since then, he's struggled with injuries but generally been effective when healthy. A rib injury forced him to miss about six weeks recently, but he's 2-0 with a 4.15 ERA in two starts since returning.

Peavy was scheduled to start Tuesday initially, but was scratched from the start Tuesday morning, signaling that a deal was about to go down. He'll now join Jon Lester, Ryan Dempster, John Lackey and Felix Doubront (at least until Clay Buchholz gets back) in the Red Sox rotation.

Iglesias, 23, is hitting .330/.377/.410 with 10 doubles, two triples, 1 homer, 19 RBI, 27 runs and three stolen bases this season. He's a slick fielder with nearly all his minor-league experience coming at shortstop, but for the Red Sox this season he's spent considerable time at third base and even a few games at second, too.

The move of Iglesias seems like insurance for Jhonny Peralta, who has been connected to the Biogenesis scandal and many believe will be suspended within the next few days. Had the trade deadline passed and then Peralta been suspended, the Tigers wouldn't have been left with any real good options. Now they'll have the ability to plug Iglesias in at shortstop -- and it's a marked improvement defensively -- should Peralta be suspended. If Peralta does dodge a bullet, Iglesias makes for a good bench player and great late-innings defensive replacement at shortstop or third base.

Garcia, 22, is hitting .241/.273/.373 with three doubles, a triple and two homers in just 88 plate appearances this season. He's spent most of the season in Triple-A, where he hit .382/.414/.549 with seven doubles and five homers.

Last season for the Tigers, Garcia hit .319/.373/.319 in 51 plate appearances and served as a useful part-timer in the postseason.

Villarreal, 26, has a 4.56 ERA, 1.51 WHIP and 86 strikeouts in 75 career innings. He's only made seven appearances this season and been torched twice, so his ERA in only 4 1/3 innings is 20.77.

Wendleken, 20, is 2-0 with a 2.81 ERA in Class A. He was the Red Sox 13th rounder in 2012.

Montas, 20, is 2-9 with a 5.70 ERA in Class A.

Rondon, 19, is hitting .277/.328/.353 with four doubles, a homer and five steals in 36 Low-A games.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...from-white-sox
  • Villain
    [REDACTED]
    • May 2011

This one is taking me a bit of time to digest.

White Sox send:
    Peavy to Red Sox

Red Sox send:
    Jose Iglesias to Tigers
    Wendelken, Francellis, Rondon to White Sox

Tigers send:
    Avisail Garcia to White Sox
    Brayan Villareal to Red Sox

So Peavy brought in 4 young players (one who can play in MLB now), not a terrible haul even if none of them are all that sparkling. At a very fast, raw numbers glance, Wendelken doesn't look like too shabby of a prospect. Montas has 10.1 K/9 in his age 20 season. Rondon's stats look awful, but he's only a teenager. Of course, this is analysis after reading a whole zero scouting reports - maybe a Red Sox fan who plays closer attention to these kids can say if they have low ceilings or something.
    [REDACTED]

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Highwayman
      • Feb 2009

Peavy netted a decent haul...

Top 5 Team Prospect and three other lotto tickets.

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
        I literally know nothing.
        • Jul 2009

Why did we trade Garcia?!?! I had high hopes for him. Fuck.

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Fappin Raptor
          Why did we trade Garcia?!?! I had high hopes for him. Fuck.
          The more I keep reading about this new guy the more I'm liking the trade.

Comment

• Goober
            Needs a hobby
            • Feb 2009

Yeah hard not to get excited about a guy with no bat.

Comment

• Villain
              [REDACTED]
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Goobyslayer
              He's got more of a bat than Peralta will while he's suspensioned. Plus you know he's got to have about 6x more defensive range than Peralta, so that should at least help make up for having a 1B/DH at third base.
              [REDACTED]

Comment

• Goober
                Needs a hobby
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Villain
                He's got more of a bat than Peralta will while he's suspensioned. Plus you know he's got to have about 6x more defensive range than Peralta, so that should at least help make up for having a 1B/DH at third base.
                True, but I think Detroit fans like Fappin will probably be disappointed here as they are likely scouting the stat line right now.

Comment

• Villain
                  [REDACTED]
                  • May 2011

#suspensioned

[REDACTED]

Comment

• kyhadley
                    Carefree
                    • Oct 2008

Pretty good, brief scouting report of the Red Sox players involved:

At what cost Jake Peavy (and Brayan Villarreal)?

The Red Sox made a bold move to acquire one of the top starters on the market, and perhaps the best one who is under team control for multiple years. So, what was the price?

Foremost, of course, was shortstop/third baseman Jose Iglesias. Iglesias was pulled in the ninth inning of Tuesday’s 8-2 Red Sox win over the Mariners for defensive replacement Brandon Snyder. He went 1-for-3 on Tuesday, and while he has struggled considerably in recent weeks, the 23-year-old proved a huge contributor for the Sox this year, at one point recording an 18-game hitting streak and a run of 27 straight games on base while hitting .411/.458/.532 through the Fourth of July.

But starting with a West Coast road trip, he cooled considerably over the subsequent 21 games leading up to the trade, hitting .176/.215/.176 during that stretch and raising questions about whether he could remain in an everyday big league role. Still, he’s hitting .330 with a .376 OBP and .409 slugging mark, a performance that is little short of extraordinary given his minor league track record and the impact that it allowed him to have in combination with his dazzling defense at third and short. He affords the Tigers insurance if they should lose their starting shortstop, Jhonny Peralta, to suspension for his connection to Biogenesis.

Rondon, 19, was hitting .277 with a .328 OBP, .353 slugging mark and five steals in 36 games as a shortstop and second baseman with Lowell. He’s athletic and a strong defender, but his limited offensive projection suggests someone with the profile of a future big league utility player rather than a starter.

Montas, 20, is the hardest thrower in the Red Sox system, regularly touching the high-90s and even 100 with a power fastball and, at times, a wipeout slider for Single-A Greenville. However, because of his up-and-down control and lack of a third pitch, he projects as a future reliever. He was 2-9 with a 5.70 ERA, 10.1 strikeouts per nine and 3.4 walks per nine in the South Atlantic League.

Wendelken, 20, has a chance to make the most impact of any of the three lower levels prospects. He was a nice find for the Red Sox in the 13th round of the 2012 draft, emerging as a South Atlantic League All-Star this year in his first pro season (after signing last year for $100,000).

The 20-year-old is 2-0 with a 2.81 ERA, 7.6 strikeouts per nine and 2.8 walks per nine in 64 innings spanning 26 relief appearances in Greenville. He’s worked solely out of the bullpen for Greenville, though there have been times that he’s shown a three-pitch mix that suggested the potential to start.
                    The power of Audacy #1 Creator of original, premium Audio content 200 Million monthly listeners 2 Billion annual podcastdownloads 60 Million monthly

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
                      • Jul 2009

I understand he isn't going to keep hitting like he is, but his defense will greatly help out Fister and Porcello. I'm not worried about the offense, we have plenty of that. And if/when Jhonny gets suspended, it'll be a better replacement than Worth.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                        Probably owns the site
                        • Feb 2009

Tigers pitchers have the 4th highest GB rate and also the 4th highest BABIP allowed, so yeah, Iglesias will have a huge impact with his glove.

Comment

• Sven Draconian
                          Not a Scandanavian
                          • Feb 2009

This is a good trade for Detroit for a few reasons:
                          1) Jhonny is about to be suspended and Ramon Santiago blows.
                          2) Igleasias will help out Cabrera at 3rd.
                          3) Igleasias is a league minimum guy for 2.5 seasons now. Looking into the near future they need to resign Scherzer plus Jackson, Fister and Porcello are going to get expensive and / or extensions. They also need to find a new second baseman or extend Infante. Even if he is a relative weak starting player, saving the money is a big deal right now.

Comment

Working...