Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Athletics acquire Alberto Callaspo

The Angels have traded infielder Alberto Callaspo to the Athletics, reports CBSSports.com's Danny Knobler. The Angels will get back infielder Grant Green.

Callaspo will take over at second base for the A's. He's played exclusively at third base this year for the Angels, but he has experience at second, having played 1,773 2/3 innings in 217 games at second in his career.

Callaspo, 30, entered Tuesday night hitting .253/.323/.348 with 13 doubles, five homers, 36 RBI and 32 runs.

Heading into Tuesday, A's second basemen were collectively hitting .254/.320/.340 with 23 doubles and two homers. So the lines are a bit similar, but keep in mind that Jed Lowrie -- now the everyday shortstop -- hit well in 95 plate appearances, skewing things a bit.

Also of note: Callaspo is a switch hitter while lefty Eric Sogard struggles against left-handers (.184 average against heading into Tuesday).

Callaspo is a career .273/.334/.380 hitter.

Green, 25, was 0-for-15 in his debut stint in the majors with the A's this month. The 25 year old was a fairly highly-touted prospect in 2010 and 2011, but his stock has fallen considerably the past few years. Still, he's hitting .325/.379/.500 with 27 doubles and 11 homers in 87 Triple-A games this season -- albeit in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League -- so there's some talent in there.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...o-to-athletics
  • Villain
    [REDACTED]
    • May 2011

Great trade by Angels.
    [REDACTED]

Comment

• Glenbino
      Jelly and Ice Cream
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Villain
      Great trade by Angels.
      You think? We really needed a pitching prospect and I thought this guy was only coming in because we were moving Aybar/Kendrick which didn't happen. Now I have no idea what's going on.

Comment

• Villain
        [REDACTED]
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Glenbino
        You think? We really needed a pitching prospect and I thought this guy was only coming in because we were moving Aybar/Kendrick which didn't happen. Now I have no idea what's going on.
        Even swap for a 25 year old who had been raking in the PCLOL, I think it's a good move. Maybe you need pitchers more than infielders, but you still get a young guy under control that can be developed as he's approaching his "prime" years.
        [REDACTED]

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          Highwayman
          • Feb 2009

Has Grant Green actually found a position yet?

Comment

Working...