Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Angels have not contacted Trout on long-term deal

Mike Trout's agent says there have been no discussions between the star outfielder and the Los Angeles Angels about a long-term contract.

Trout, 22, is nearing the completion of a second consecutive outstanding season with the Angels. Trout's agent, Craig Landis, told the Los Angeles Times that his client, whose salary this season is $510,000, will patiently wait for a lucrative contract offer.

"I'll answer one question on contract talks -- there have been no discussions," Landis told the Times. "Obviously, Mike's future is extremely bright. We'll be patient. Mike's a young guy. However it goes, he's going to make a lot of money and be a great player."
    Trout is batting .324 this season with 26 home runs, 92 RBIs, 33 stolen bases and a league-leading 108 runs. He owns a 9.1 WAR (wins above replacement) and is on the verge of leading the majors in that category for the second straight year.

Trout burst onto the scene last season, when he was a unanimous choice for the American League Rookie of the Year and runner-up to Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera for the league's MVP award.

But despite Trout's record-setting 2012 campaign, the Angels opted to renew his rookie deal -- worth just more than $482,000 -- at the standard rate of $510,000, which is just $20,000 more than the league minimum.

Trout, who will not be eligible for salary arbitration until 2015, told the Times that he has come to accept Major League Baseball's salary structure for young players.

"It was one of those things where [the Angels] own you, they can do whatever they want, and you have to accept it," Trout told the newspaper. "Everyone goes through it. I'm waiting patiently -- my time will come."

Although he told the Times that he "loves" playing for the Angels, Trout also indicated that he would be open to signing with another team when he becomes a free agent after the 2017 season.

"It's about time to start looking for a house," Trout told the paper. "I'm trying to see what direction my career takes me. Do I want to buy a house out here or some other place?"

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...-term-contract
  • SuperKevin
    War Hero
    • Dec 2009

While Trout is unreal, can you really blame them? Seemingly every big long term deal they have done in the past decade has blown up in their face. Keep him cheap while you can and hope there is some loyalty left in 2015.

Comment

• Glenbino
      Jelly and Ice Cream
      • Nov 2009

Bullshit. He's the only reason for watching this awful team.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 4

Comment

• FedEx227
        Delivers
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by SuperKevin
        While Trout is unreal, can you really blame them? Seemingly every big long term deal they have done in the past decade has blown up in their face. Keep him cheap while you can and hope there is some loyalty left in 2015.
        The difference though is the other long term deals they've signed have been guys at or approaching age 30. Trout's only 21. You can sign an 8-year deal tomorrow that coincides with his peak.
        VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Glenbino
          Jelly and Ice Cream
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
          The difference though is the other long term deals they've signed have been guys at or approaching age 30. Trout's only 21. You can sign an 8-year deal tomorrow that coincides with his peak.
          15 years $375 million

Make it happen

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 4

Comment

• Goober
            Needs a hobby
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SuperKevin
            They're not going to avoid a ten year deal with Trout. Either he signs it now, or he signs it in four years when he becomes a free agent.

Comment

• BiggaAdams
              • Jul 2009

Paying him now will save them millions. If this guy hits the market, you're looking at 30 mil per year.

Comment

• Villain
                [REDACTED]
                • May 2011

Originally posted by BiggaAdams
                Paying him now will save them millions. If this guy hits the market, you're looking at 30 mil per year.
                You're probably looking at 30/year anyways.
                [REDACTED]

Comment

• BiggaAdams
                  • Jul 2009

No way he gets 30 mil a year before free agency. Makes no sense for team to pay him that now. They could just keep him cheap if that was the case and take their chances in free agency.

Comment

• Villain
                    [REDACTED]
                    • May 2011

I meant if they wanted to lock him down for a long-term extension. If you want to play the arbitration game until you lose team control, then yeah it'll be cheaper.
                    [REDACTED]

Comment

Working...