X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goober
    Needs a hobby
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MVPepe
    Barnes is a 4th OFer at best and Lyles a 5th starter. This trade didn't make sense for either team when it went down, might of had a little something to do with MLBPA telling the Astros they'll be monitoring their spending habits.
    Is this serious? I don't remember. If I were an owner, I would tell the MLBPA to eat a bag of dicks if they were unhappy with the money I was spending.

Comment

• Youk
      Posts too much
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Goober
      Is this serious? I don't remember. If I were an owner, I would tell the MLBPA to eat a bag of dicks if they were unhappy with the money I was spending.
      It is serious. The Astros have publicly told them that they refuse to change their team's course. However, with a payroll hovering around $30 million last year, I'm sure they got rid of a couple players that were not key pieces to the future in order to have the MLBPA back off. Funny enough though, I did read that the payroll additions didn't convince the MLBPA that they were legitimately trying to win and spend as much as they could.

Anyways, right now it looks like a good trade, but let's hold judgment for a bit to see how long this lasts.

Comment

• NAHSTE
        Probably owns the site
        • Feb 2009

I remember my first time thinking a replacement level player on the Rockies was for real 6 weeks into the season.

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
          So Luhnow, the genius, trades a 23 year old starting pitcher under team control until 2018, and a cheap OF under team control until 2019, for an established bum who makes over $7M and will likely make over $10M next year.
          Fowler has reached in 18 straight and is currently slashing .271/.378/.394. That's good for a 121 wRC+, .348 wOBA, and pretty close to his career (.269/.366/.421) and 2013 figures (.263/.369/.407).

#productofcoors though amirite

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Goober
            The Astros are defrauding the city, the fans, the league, and are also involved in a cable TV dispute.

This is also not the first time the owner has been involved in fraudulent activity.

What they are doing is unethical, and has been for three or four years. Why MLB hasn't made a move to remove the entire ownership group & braintrust is beyond my understanding. Aside from the dirty business, the Astros tanking has influenced pennant races and is bad for competitive balance.

Comment

• NAHSTE
              Probably owns the site
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
              The Astros are defrauding the city, the fans, the league, and are also involved in a cable TV dispute.

This is also not the first time the owner has been involved in fraudulent activity.

What they are doing is unethical, and has been for three or four years. Why MLB hasn't made a move to remove the entire ownership group & braintrust is beyond my understanding. Aside from the dirty business, the Astros tanking has influenced pennant races and is bad for competitive balance.
              This is something on which we can agree.

Comment

Working...