Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Choo has 7 year, $130 million offer from Texas

According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, the Rangers have made a seven-year contract offer to free agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo. The deal is worth less than the $153 million the Yankees gave Jacoby Ellsbury last week.

Choo, 31, has already rejected a six-year offer from Texas according to Sullivan. The two sides sat down for a two-hour meeting at some point prior to this week's Winter Meetings. Even though the offer is smaller than Ellsbury's, perhaps around $130 million, it is said to be strong enough for Choo to consider.

In 154 games for the Reds this past season, Choo hit .285/.423/.462 (143 OPS+) with 21 home runs and 20 stolen bases. He would give the Rangers a second big left-handed bat to pair with Prince Fielder and complement the right-handed Adrian Beltre.

The Rangers had a roughly league average offense this season (99 OPS+), before 27-home run man Nelson Cruz became a free agent. Fielder will improve the offense and so would Choo, substantially at that.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...nyear-contract
  • Sharkweather
    • Jul 2009

Could be a pretty fun team to watch next summer, sign me up.

Comment

• Villain
      [REDACTED]
      • May 2011

Why hasn't he accepted that yet?
      [REDACTED]

Comment

• MVPete
        Old School
        • Mar 2008

If this happens then the other teams in the division should trade everything for a left hander to face Choo and Fielder.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Villain
          Why hasn't he accepted that yet?
          A Reds beat writer said the inside word is that some team is mulling an EIGHTH year, which would seal the deal.

Jocketty after meeting with Boras one last time: "I think it's time to move on."

He Seinfeld gif'd the meeting.

Comment

• Villain
            [REDACTED]
            • May 2011

8 years.

[REDACTED]

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Landing spots are drying up. This feels like Michael Bourn all over again.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                Landing spots are drying up. This feels like Michael Bourn all over again.
                The eighth year ploy may have cost Choo some money for sure. I won't disagree with the Bourn statement either.

Comment

• Slateman
                  • Apr 2009

Signed it. There are rumors that the Yankees were offering more money
                  The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
                  As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
                  If only I had died instead of you
                  O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Slateman
                    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...llion/4156805/

Signed it. There are rumors that the Yankees were offering more money
                    Not rumors, fact. They offered 7/140.

People talking about the lack of state tax in Texas swaying him, but Choo wasn't going to New York anyway. Joey Votto, who had gotten close to Choo during last season, did an interview on MLB Radio and said that Choo is very private and going to NY would blow him up in Korea even bigger than he already is, and that was something he was likely not interested in.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                      • Sep 2024

People talking about the lack of state tax in Texas swaying him, but Choo wasn't going to New York anyway. Joey Votto, who had gotten close to Choo during last season, did an interview on MLB Radio and said that Choo is very private and going to NY would blow him up in Korea even bigger than he already is, and that was something he was likely not interested in.
                      Choo also lives in Texas, and about a half hour from their spring training location. All played into why he went to Texas. I could not see Choo in a large market like NY or LA.

Comment

• Slateman
                        • Apr 2009

I don't think the extra 10 million would have covered the taxes.
                        The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
                        As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
                        If only I had died instead of you
                        O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

Working...