• Villain
    [REDACTED]
    • May 2011

Rays Re-sign Loney

[REDACTED]
  • RyanLeaf16
    #DoSomething
    • Feb 2009

Great deal for the Rays. Loney was looking for 3yrs ~$27 mil initially. I'm happy to have the 1B situation cleared up. Most local guys thought AF was going to end up trading for someone and that the Rays were out of the Loney sweepstakes.

With everyone in tow right now, the Rays payroll is at about $78.5 mil per DRaysBay. This includes who is on the roster as of now. Still could see things happen with Price that would drop that number, depending on return players, by $8-13 million.
    Maddon & Friedman: Pissing off the AL East since 2008

Comment

• MVPete
      Old School
      • Mar 2008

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Never thought I would see celebration for re-signing James Loney

I also had no idea the Rays had a payroll pushing $80 million. Peter Angelos better start spending some of his money before they catch up to him.

Comment

• Hasselbeck
          Jus' bout dat action boss
          • Feb 2009

3 for 21 is the Rays equivalent to the Cano deal.

But I love this. Good job Rays
          Originally posted by ram29jackson
          I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• RyanLeaf16
            #DoSomething
            • Feb 2009

Apparently $5 mil of that total is a signing bonus. So the actual salary is only 3 for $16 mil. AF and JM really liked him and per AF he really liked it in Tampa and JM said he was a tremendous fit in the clubhouse. Sounds like Loney may have signed for a slight discount with the Rays. Most reports prior to this were that the Rays wanted to keep him but felt he was out of their price range. So this signing was a very pleasant surprise.
            Maddon & Friedman: Pissing off the AL East since 2008

Comment

• Lanteri
              No longer a noob
              • Feb 2009

Man, you know you're desperate for some stability at a position when the prospect of having James Loney signed on for three years is considered something to be excited about.

Playing devil's advocate here: Loney had a career year, yet managed a whopping .778 OPS, not to mention post-ASB .700 mark. He's cashing in one good half year. I guess I just don't get thrilling nature of the signing. Sure, it's relatively cheap and he adds some value with his glove, but this signing just strikes me as remarkably "blah".

Comment

• Slateman
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Lanteri
                Man, you know you're desperate for some stability at a position when the prospect of having James Loney signed on for three years is considered something to be excited about.

Playing devil's advocate here: Loney had a career year, yet managed a whopping .778 OPS, not to mention post-ASB .700 mark. He's cashing in one good half year. I guess I just don't get thrilling nature of the signing. Sure, it's relatively cheap and he adds some value with his glove, but this signing just strikes me as remarkably "blah".
                Agreed. However, what other options are there at first base for the Rays?
                The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
                As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
                If only I had died instead of you
                O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• Villain
                  [REDACTED]
                  • May 2011

Things to think about with Loney and this deal:

1. Great defense
                  2. The 1B market absolutely blows and doesn't look great going forward from here
                  3. It's not a lot of money, even if it's a lot for the Rays. It shouldn't be too difficult to trade him if he ends up blocking a better 1B option. Especially considering how front-loaded the deal is with that signing bonus.

I am a Loney optimist so I still hold hope that he has it in him to be good with the bat for a whole season. I've seen half-seasons of production from him as a Dodger and now as a Ray. If he can't put it together, hopefully the numbered points ease that blow a bit.
                  [REDACTED]

Comment

Working...