Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Tanaka has partially torn UCL

Yankees ace Masahiro Tanaka has seen three different doctors, general manager Brian Cashman said on a conference call Thursday (via Yankees.com), all of whom said he has a partially torn ulnar-collateral ligament in his right elbow. None of the three recommend Tommy John surgery, though, the club announced, so instead Tanaka will have a platelet-rich plasma injection and rehab for six weeks.

If this doesn't help him recover, Tommy John surgery would then be a possibility.

This is a serious blow to the Yankees and it could get even worse if Tanaka has to go under the knife. The 25-year-old right-hander is 12-4 with a 2.51 ERA (159 ERA+), 1.01 WHIP and 135 strikeouts in 129 1/3 innings this season. The Yankees are 13-5 in games he starts and headed into Thursday night 33-39 when he doesn't start.

CC Sabathia and Ivan Nova are already out for the season while Michael Pineda is also on the disabled list.

That leaves the healthy members of the Yankees rotation as Hiroki Kuroda, Brandon McCarthy, David Phelps and Shane Greene.

Tanaka signed a seven-year, $155 million deal with the Yankees this past offseason, and the Yankees also had to pay a $20 million posting fee to the Rakuten Golden Eagles -- Tanaka's NPB club.

After an amazing start to the season (11-1, 1.99 ERA), Tanaka has gone 1-3 with a 4.25 ERA in his last four starts.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...ithout-surgery
    Terrible break for both parties, but I think it would be best to do the surgery now. Some pitchers can pitch with a partially torn UCL, but eventually need the surgery. He's got six weeks of rehab, then has to rebuild arm strength, so how much of the season is really left at that point?
  • Slateman
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
    Terrible break for both parties, but I think it would be best to do the surgery now. Some pitchers can pitch with a partially torn UCL, but eventually need the surgery. He's got six weeks of rehab, then has to rebuild arm strength, so how much of the season is really left at that point?
    Enough to do the rehab and make a few spot starts at the end of next season. I agree, he should just get the surgery. He comes back next season at the All Star Break.
    The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
    As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
    If only I had died instead of you
    O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• MVPete
      Old School
      • Mar 2008

Someone needs to make a graphic with all the pitchers that went down this year with their expected return dates next year, this is unreal lol.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by MVPete
        Someone needs to make a graphic with all the pitchers that went down this year with their expected return dates next year, this is unreal lol.
        Yesterday the injury news kept coming too, with Philips and Molina announced to be out for a lengthy period of time.

Comment

• Slateman
          • Apr 2009

He apologized on Twitter
          The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
          As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
          If only I had died instead of you
          O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

Working...