Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Joe Maddon out as Rays manager

Manager Joe Maddon has exercised an opt-out clause in his contract with the Rays and is leaving the organization effective immediately, the team announced. Owner Stuart Sternberg released the following statement:

“Joe Maddon has exercised an opt-out in his current contract, a contract which was not scheduled to expire until after the 2015 season. We tried diligently and aggressively to sign Joe to a third contract extension prior to his decision. As of yesterday afternoon, Joe enabled himself to explore opportunities throughout Major League Baseball. He will not be managing the Rays in 2015. Joe has been our manager for nine seasons, and the foundation of success laid during his tenure endures. We thank him for all that he's meant to the organization.”
    Maddon recently shot down speculation he would leave the Rays to join former GM Andrew Friedman with the Dodgers, saying "I'm a Ray, I've said it all along, I want to continue to be one." As Sternberg said in his statement, Maddon's contract was set to expire after next season and they were working on an extension.

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports Maddon is not considering the Dodgers at this time. He was able to opt-out of his deal as soon as Friedman left and Heyman says there were some "contentious" days between the Rays and Maddon since that happened.

During his introductory press conference last week, Friedman told reporters Don Mattingly will "definitely" return as manager of the Dodgers in 2015. Mattingly's contract runs through the 2016 season.

The Rays went 754-705 (.517) under Maddon from 2006-14. He led the team to two division titles, four postseason appearances and the 2008 AL pennant.

Maddon will have no shortage of suitors now that he's available. The Rays have a manager in waiting in bench coach Dave Martinez.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...ve-immediately
    The Rays have done so much with so little financial resources, and Friedman and Maddon were huge parts of that. As an Orioles fan, I can't say I will complain, but I also hope the Rays don't fall back to oblivion either.
  • dope
    Allons-y!
    • Feb 2009

it's a pipe dream but i'd love to see him come to minnesota.

Comment

• dave
      Go the fuck outside
      • Oct 2008

Maddon is going to find a job faster than a hooker in the Red Light District.
      My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• dope
        Allons-y!
        • Feb 2009

as it stands minnesota is the only one who is currently without a manager, but again it's a pipe dream. i've heard mostly just chicago cubs are the destination for him.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

The Cubs are rumored to be more than willing to pay off Renteria to make a run at Maddon. He's not the type of manager that the Twins typically look for, either, so I can't see that being a fit for them in practice, while on paper it makes more sense than not.

Comment

• GopherGuy
            Noob
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by dope
            as it stands minnesota is the only one who is currently without a manager, but again it's a pipe dream. i've heard mostly just chicago cubs are the destination for him.
            From what i am reading it is more then a pipe dream. xd

Comment

Working...