X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obst
    RIP West
    • Oct 2008

Report: 76ers Interested In Iverson

The 76ers are thinking hard about signing free-agent guard Allen Iverson, according to a report.

Iverson, according to Stephen A. Smith, decided to retire earlier this week.

"It's being seriously considered," a Philadelphia team official told Smith in an article for FoxSports.com.

Conversely, a team official told ESPN.com on Friday that the 76ers will not consider signing Iverson in the wake of an injury to guard Louis Williams.

Williams will miss eight weeks of action with a broken jaw.

According to Smith, coach Eddie Jordan is among those within the organization that support signing Iverson.
  • Big C-Dub
    M-V-P!
    • Jun 2009

DO IT!!!

that's funny because the other day I started a 76ers chise on 2K with AI back on the team
    Last edited by Big C-Dub; 11-28-2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• FedEx227
      Delivers
      • Mar 2009

Ugh, that team already plays the wrong style basketball AI will only make it 40 times worse.

We have a bunch of really quick, long, good transitional guys... so let's do some sweet half court sets!
      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Proof21
        Go Big Red!
        • Mar 2009

Let him finish his career there.

Comment

• Tengo Juego
          Posts a lot
          • Jun 2009

We'll see where this goes. I'm not going to get excited until theres more than just "interest rumors." But I'm rooting for this to happen lol.

I'd love to see A.I. back in Philly. I dont know how much this changes how Philly plays as an offense. I haven't watch a full game of NBA basketball in quite some time. But teams not taking a chance on A.I. (especially bad teams) is absurd. Fuck your opinion on A.I. the man call play ball. Better than any player on that Philly, Memphis, New York, Detroit roster.
          Last edited by Tengo Juego; 11-28-2009, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• BUCK3YE5
            CP 2K12
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Tengo Juego
            Fuck your opinion on A.I. the man call play ball. Better than any player on that Philly, Memphis, New York, Detroit roster.
            In his prime: yes.
            Currently: No.

Comment

• Obst
              RIP West
              • Oct 2008

Were currently 2nd to last in attendance and our second leading scorer is out 2 months, it wouldn't be bad at all to bring him back for just this year.

Comment

• Tengo Juego
                Posts a lot
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by BUCK3YE5
                In his prime: yes.
                Currently: No.
                Has he played currently? What are you basing your current statement on? Detroit? Blind hatred? Age?

From what I saw in the few short appearances he had in Memphis, Iverson can still play.

Comment

• FedEx227
                  Delivers
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Rajon-Rondo
                  I don't think you realize just how good AI actually is. Considering he hasn't really had to be "the man" in over two years. I bet he'd be a 28 PPG scorer if he were on a team like the Knicks or Sixers.
                  Teams like the Knicks don't need a dude dropping 28 and hogging the ball though. That doesn't get them closer to a championship. Right now this Knicks team is basically an audition for who stays on the team next year, that's about it... they don't need Iverson, especially if he wants to be a giant asshole about playing time and "his role".
                  VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Tengo Juego
                    Posts a lot
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
                    Teams like the Knicks don't need a dude dropping 28 and hogging the ball though. That doesn't get them closer to a championship. Right now this Knicks team is basically an audition for who stays on the team next year, that's about it... they don't need Iverson, especially if he wants to be a giant asshole about playing time and "his role".
                    Iverson wants to win. And if you want to win, you should start him. How can anyone blame him? He was signed to do what? Sit on the bench and watch Memphis lose games?

Is Ray Allen playing a reduced role because he too is 34? Fuck no. His scoring has declined, but no one says shit, because he plays for a winning team.

Philly adds a guy who can score 20 points and dish anywhere from 6-12 assists a night, and they can make a run in the East.

What does Louis Williams do, that Iverson cant? Or Mike Conley?!

Comment

• FedEx227
                      Delivers
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Tengo Juego
                      Iverson wants to win. And if you want to win, you should start him. How can anyone blame him? He was signed to do what? Sit on the bench and watch Memphis lose games?

Is Ray Allen playing a reduced role because he too is 34? Fuck no. His scoring has declined, but no one says shit, because he plays for a winning team.

Philly adds a guy who can score 20 points and dish anywhere from 6-12 assists a night, and they can make a run in the East.

What does Louis Williams do, that Iverson cant? Or Mike Conley?!

No, they can't. Philly is not a very good team. They aren't built properly for what they want to do.

And if he wants to win maybe he shouldn't go out of his way to tell people he wants to start and doesn't want to come off the bench. He could absolutely help a good team if he was instant offense off the bench. Iverson, on the other hand is a stubborn idiot who refuses to do that. Also, using Ray Allen as an example is pretty funny. He's absolutely an example of a guy taking a reduced role for the good of his team. His scoring is down almost 11 points from his days as a Sonic, while taking like 100 less shots throughout the year.
                      Last edited by FedEx227; 11-28-2009, 09:35 PM.
                      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Tengo Juego
                        Posts a lot
                        • Jun 2009

No, they can't. Philly is not a very good team. They aren't built properly for what they want to do.

And if he wants to win maybe he shouldn't go out of his way to tell people he wants to start and doesn't want to come off the bench. He could absolutely help a good team if he was instant offense off the bench. Iverson, on the other hand is a stubborn idiot who refuses to do that. Also, using Ray Allen as an example is pretty funny. He's absolutely an example of a guy taking a reduced role for the good of his team. His scoring is down almost 11 points from his days as a Sonic, while taking like 100 less shots throughout the year.
                        Iverson was asked to take a reduced role for who? OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay?

Ray Allen is taking a reduced role for Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.

Comparing the starting lineup from the Philly championship run with Iverson, to the lineup today...

C Dalembert
                        F Brand
                        F Iguodala
                        G Iverson
                        G Williams

00-01
                        C Mutombo
                        F Tyrone Hill
                        F George Lynch
                        G Iverson
                        G Snow
                        (6th man Aaron Mckie)- Had to mention him. He was a pretty big help.

Like I said, I haven't watched much NBA basketball in a long time. But on paper, the Sixers can compete with Iverson. Hell they can compete without him.

Comment

• FedEx227
                          Delivers
                          • Mar 2009

When you sign a deal with a young team you should assume that there may be times where you're going to have to come off the bench ala Memphis. The point of you being in Memphis was to sell tickets and to score. They aren't asking him to be their cornerstone, they are asking him to score some points and shut his mouth. They didn't want him taking shots away from 22-24 year olds that are attempting to develop their game. I don't blame them.

I love the "I don't watch, but here's why you're wrong" thing. It's pretty awesome. Since you don't watch let me catch you up on a few things.

Elton Brand is done and is averaging 11.5/6.5 or something a game. The Sixers have a ton of long athletic fast guys, but for some reason play slow-it-down half court basketball which has really hurt Iggy, Young and a number of the Sixers players. They are a well below mediocre team this year. Adding Iverson does not change that. In fact adding Iverson only adds to their problems. Yes, they'll get the increase in scoring, but it's not enough to give them over the hump in the East. If anything they'd grab an 8th seed and get pounded in the first round.

Plus are you really going to compare 00-01 Iverson to 2009 Iverson?
                          Last edited by FedEx227; 11-28-2009, 09:55 PM.
                          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Tengo Juego
                            Posts a lot
                            • Jun 2009

When you sign a deal with a young team you should assume that there may be times where you're going to have to come off the bench ala Memphis. The point of you being in Memphis was to sell tickets and to score. They aren't asking him to be their cornerstone, they are asking him to score some points and shut his mouth. They didn't want him taking shots away from 22-24 year olds that are attempting to develop their game. I don't blame them.

I love the "I don't watch, but here's why you're wrong" thing. It's pretty awesome. Since you don't watch let me catch you up on a few things.

Elton Brand is done and is averaging 11.5/6.5 or something a game. The Sixers have a ton of long athletic fast guys, but for some reason play slow-it-down half court basketball which has really hurt Iggy, Young and a number of the Sixers players. They are a well below mediocre team this year. Adding Iverson does not change that. In fact adding Iverson only adds to their problems. Yes, they'll get the increase in scoring, but it's not enough to give them over the hump in the East. If anything they'd grab an 8th seed and get pounded in the first round.

Plus are you really going to compare 00-01 Iverson to 2009 Iverson?
                            Nope. I didn't say compare 01 Iverson. I said compare the rosters. And I never said you were wrong. I just have an opinion. And you dont like it.

Iverson can run. I dont see how adding Iverson doesn't change that at all. Who is the coach in Philly right now?

Nevermind. Eddie Jordan.

I remember Iggy and AI playing well together. I just dont see how he would make it "40 times worse."
                            Last edited by Tengo Juego; 11-28-2009, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• FedEx227
                              Delivers
                              • Mar 2009

Former Wizards coach Eddie Jordan.

He runs a lot of Princeton sets which is a lot of ball movement and backdoor cuts.
                              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

Working...