Is KD35 and Westbrook= KG and Starbury circa 96-99??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
    Its not about what the media thinks as much as its about protecting your players. Hopefully, the benching doesn't create other issues, but people should remember that the NBA is a players' league and this OKC team won't win on the level that people expect them to without him.
    Brooks job depends on winning basketball games. Maynor was playing well and gave them the best chance to win the game. If Westbrook can't handle that then fuck him.

Comment

• ralaw
      Posts too much
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
      Isn't it about winning games? Maybe nobody is giving Westbrook enough credit here. He probably gets it.
      IMO it isn't about just winning games, but also building a team and understanding what is going on around the team...Westbrook has taken a lot of heat this post season for doing what he's been doing all season....and the team is still winning, so I don't see the issue.....Durant has been the leading scorer in the league for the past two seasons with Wesbrook at PG, so I don't see the issue. Hopefully, after the benching Westbrook and Brooks are on the same page, but Brooks should be careful with that going forward.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
        Brooks job depends on winning basketball games. Maynor was playing well and gave them the best chance to win the game. If Westbrook can't handle that then fuck him.
        To be fair, we've seen coaches win and still get run out of town by the players. This happens in the NBA frequently. Paul Westhead/Magic Johnson. Byron Scott/Jason Kidd. Etc.

Comment

• ralaw
          Posts too much
          • Feb 2009

In a black and white world I can understand that; however, as I said the NBA is a players league and any coach that says, "fuck him" about his star player won't be there long. I wonder if Brooks would have done that with Durant? Probably not.

Comment

• FirstTimer
            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
            In a black and white world I can understand that; however, as I said the NBA is a players league and any coach that says, "fuck him" about his star player won't be there long. I wonder if Brooks would have done that with Durant? Probably not.
            But Durant's a far better player and how many time is OKC a better team without Durant on the floor?

Last night the Thunder were clearly rolling along and playing better down the stretch with Maynor in. Why would Brooks risk losing the game jst to appease Westbrook and protect him from the media?

You can keep saying it's a players league but like all leagues it's a "win now" league first and foremost. Brook's job is to get his team to win games. People in the OKC organization understand that.

To be fair to W2B point as well Magic was most likely the best player in the league at the time of the Westhead fiasco and is on an entirely different level than Westbrook is and ever will be.

The Byron Scott situation is different as well. Wasnt NJ barely a .500 team when he was fired?

Comment

• ralaw
              Posts too much
              • Feb 2009

But Durant's a far better player and how many time is OKC a better team without Durant on the floor?

Last night the Thunder were clearly rolling along and playing better down the stretch with Maynor in. Why would Brooks risk losing the game jst to appease Westbrook and protect him from the media?
              I guess that is where we differ....I probably see Wesbrook as being closer to Durant than you do....and obviously Brooks..LOL

I understand what you're saying and I actually agree with it, but if I was Brooks I'd just be careful about it. Its a tough situation though, because the team was rolling, but how many teams would bench their 2nd team All-NBA player in crunch time of a playoff game? If Westbrook was cool wit it then no harm, no foul.

Comment

• manchild24
                Kyle got fired
                • Nov 2008

Ive said before I wasnt a Durant fan but I am now. I can watch him play any day of the week. Durant is the star and Westbrook is the number 2 guy there. he is always is going to be overshadowed by Durant and probably will be the scapegoat. Kid is going to be a "star" Id take him any time on my team.

If they can keep just these two guys together OKC is going to be good for some time.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                  My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                  • Mar 2009

I don't think you're giving Westbrook enough credit here, ralaw.

Everything I've seen from interviews suggests he's fine. Don't get suckered in by the ESPN hype machine.

Comment

• Wrath
                    Football IQ is High
                    • Feb 2009

Mo you hit the nail on the head here. I was thinking the same thing while watching Westbrook jack random 3 pointers all over the court. OKC should have played the Heat in the finals but their ego's and lack of experience may have cost them. This is Starbury KG reborn for sure.

Comment

• Mogriffjr
                      aka Reece
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Wrath
                      Mo you hit the nail on the head here. I was thinking the same thing while watching Westbrook jack random 3 pointers all over the court. OKC should have played the Heat in the finals but their ego's and lack of experience may have cost them. This is Starbury KG reborn for sure.
                      Thing is with the talent these two guys have, they shouldn't have stretches of bad offensive play. But much like the Heat I believe, they get stuck with star syndrome...they want to be the hero and the defense can key in on one or two guys, Durant and Westbrook. It's why I feel Harden is so important to that team.
                      Originally posted by Nick Mangold
                      Wes Welker is a great player. He's really taken advantage of watching film. If we don't keep a Spy on him, he could really open the Gate.

Comment

Working...