X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

The NBA game is...

...all about wings and bigs. The Point Guard position is overrated and having a good or even great one isn't a prerequisite to a championship team. If the PG is your best player, you aren't a championship winning team.

Last team to win the 'ship with the PG as the best player? Isaiah on the Pistons in 1990? I'm reaching there...we might even have to go back to the Dennis Johnson led Sonics in 1979 to get the real answer to that question...

Fuck Point Guards, overrated trash.
  • Sigona
    Posts too much
    • Aug 2010

All about the big men. Size matters.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
      Beautiful Like Moses
      • Oct 2008

This is a point guard league ATM tho, altho I do understand what you're saying. The PG position has never been deeper or better then it is right now in the NBA, and it is the most talented player pool of any other position.

Comment

• ralaw
        Posts too much
        • Feb 2009

The PG is still important, but when you have the best two players in the league on the same team it makes needing one less important.

Comment

• longhornfan
          Carpe Diem
          • Mar 2009

Tony Parker was the finals MVP back in 07. That would be a bit of a stretch though too.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
            This is a point guard league ATM tho, altho I do understand what you're saying. The PG position has never been deeper or better then it is right now in the NBA, and it is the most talented player pool of any other position.
            There is a lot of point guard talent...unfortunately, when they are the best player on their team, they ain't winning shit. And, in pro sports what separates the good from the great is championships.

You need wings and bigs. The Heatles are going to win a 'ship with fuckin Super Nintendo Chalmers @ PG. Lakers won it with Derek Fisher.

Having a top PG is overrated and unnecessary for success in the pro game. Its the running back or wide receiver of positions in the NBA.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              Highwayman
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by longhornfan
              Tony Parker was the finals MVP back in 07. That would be a bit of a stretch though too.
              So was Chauncey Billups on that Pistons squad, but that doesn't mean they were the best more even most important player on that team for them to win a title.

Like I said, you gotta go back to Isaiah in 1990 or even as far back as Dennis Johnson in 79 on that Sonics title team.

Comment

• G-men
                Posts too much
                • Nov 2011

well when the Heat have Lebron who can probably run the point as well as anyone on that roster, it really isnt a need.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

The league is all about athletically freakish wing players right now. The best players in the league fit that mold. Kobe, Lebron, Durant, etc.

It was a big man league for decades, but that's over. It ended when big men stopped learning big man skills, and coaches at the younger levels stopped teaching guys how to play with their backs to the basket. Everyone wants to play with small man skills now.

The PG was never really the focal point of winning in the league.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                    Highwayman
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by G-Men
                    well when the Heat have Lebron who can probably run the point as well as anyone on that roster, it really isnt a need.
                    Missing the forest for the trees...this just isn't something THIS YEAR, this is something that I've stated has happened twice in 30 years.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                      The league is all about athletically freakish wing players right now. The best players in the league fit that mold. Kobe, Lebron, Durant, etc.

It was a big man league for decades, but that's over. It ended when big men stopped learning big man skills, and coaches at the younger levels stopped teaching guys how to play with their backs to the basket. Everyone wants to play with small man skills now.

The PG was never really the focal point of winning in the league.
                      The league needs another Shaq, Hakeem, or a Duncan/Robinson to put these shrimps back in their place.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

Step one is eliminating the three point line at all levels below college.

There is absolutely no reason 12 year olds should be jacking up three balls.

Second, I would narrow the lane at all levels below college to get the post players closer to the hoop.

Bases aren't 90 feet apart in youth baseball, and you don't pitch from 60ft 6 inches in little league. Why are they playing adult basketball at the youth level?

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                          Beautiful Like Moses
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                          Step one is eliminating the three point line at all levels below college.

There is absolutely no reason 12 year olds should be jacking up three balls.

Second, I would narrow the lane at all levels below college to get the post players closer to the hoop.

Bases aren't 90 feet apart in youth baseball, and you don't pitch from 60ft 6 inches in little league. Why are they playing adult basketball at the youth level?
                          Well in relation to this, the 3-pt line obviously isnt as far back for the kids, and ive ever been to gyms where the key is much smaller.

Comment

• manchild24
                            Kyle got fired
                            • Nov 2008

is boring with all these high pick and rolls. I want dunks and I want guys shooting the lights out of the rim from all over the place

As far as the point goes, the Heat are a different animal. I could bring the ball up court and win. If you dont have someone that run the team, they dont have to score 20 but keep the team in control and take care of the ball. Who the hell is the Heat's Big? Talent wins

yeah you need a big man to keep the everyone honest to get the ball inside and yeah you need a shooter so the D doenst pack the lane on your Big. My god some of you are taking a basic concept and twisting it. Just like you need toilet paper after a shit.

Comment

Working...