Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffx
    • Jun 2009

Charles Oakley on the Knicks

Thank you Oak, for preaching the truth! This current group of 'Knicks' will never win anything. We have a brain-dead owner, a fraud coach and soft players who wouldn't know defense if it bit them in the ass.

To say that Charles Oakley doesn't mince words is a dramatic understatement, especially when you consider that he's one of a very select few with the cache to bust Michael Jordan's chops.
  • young2rice
    Rockstar
    • Mar 2009

Neither did Oakley in New York

*troll face*

^^^ Fixed Link Finally!

My Band's Myspace - Validus

Comment

• EmpireWF
      Giants in the Super Bowl
      • Mar 2009

Oakley saved by far his harshest assessment for Isiah Thomas, whose specter still hovers over the franchise long after he was supposedly deposed.

“I don’t even understand how he got a job with management,” said Oakley. “He had nothing to do with the Knicks. Then he talked bad about the Knicks. If I see him, he’d better turn around and walk the other way.”

Comment

• FedEx227
        Delivers
        • Mar 2009

Definitely need advice on winning championships from some 1990s Knicks players.
        VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
          Definitely need advice on winning championships from some 1990s Knicks players.
          Not about that. About being tough on the court.

Comment

• FirstTimer
            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

And that 1990's toughness on the court won Oakley and the Knicks how many rings?

Comment

• FedEx227
              Delivers
              • Mar 2009

What did being tough guys do for them?

If you want to say that their gimmicky offense, lack of focus on defense on purpose and say that doesn't lend itself to long term success then say that... Don't posture about how much tougher and rough you were when you didn't win shit.
              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• EmpireWF
                Giants in the Super Bowl
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
                What did being tough guys do for them?

If you want to say that their gimmicky offense, lack of focus on defense on purpose and say that doesn't lend itself to long term success then say that... Don't posture about how much tougher and rough you were when you didn't win shit.
                1990s Knicks made the playoffs ever year, the finals twice. Lost the conference finals twice. Won the first round series 9 times. They never won the ultimate goal but god damn did they make it more than a laugher.

Team hasn't won a playoff series in over a decade, haven't won a playoff GAME in over a decade. In the past ten seasons, they've only made it twice.

I'll take the 90s Knicks over that shit anytime.

Should've been able to beat Houston. For fuck sake, they lost by 2 points in game 6 before Starks horrendous performance in game 7. 2 for 18 from the field/ 0 for 11 from behind the fucking line. If even Ewing drops in a few more buckets (he was 7 for 17 and 3 of 6 from the free throw line).

Comment

• FirstTimer
                  Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF

Team hasn't won a playoff series in over a decade, haven't won a playoff GAME in over a decade. In the past ten seasons, they've only made it twice.
                  Ok and that relates to toughness how? The Knicks have had incompetent boobs in the FO and terrible coaching during this time as well.

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                  I'll take the 90s Knicks over that shit anytime.
                  Those teams were flat out more talented than pretty much every Knicks team this decade. Were they "tougher" sure? But guess what else? They were just flat out better at the game of basketball from the top of the roster down.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                    Giants in the Super Bowl
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                    Ok and that relates to toughness how? The Knicks have had incompetent boobs in the FO and terrible coaching during this time as well.

Those teams were flat out more talented than pretty much every Knicks team this decade. Were they "tougher" sure? But guess what else? They were just flat out better at the game of basketball from the top of the roster down.
                    Because they had shitty players from the Shandon Anderson's to the Howard Eisleys to Tim fuckyou Thomas and the rest.

I guess it's too much to ask a pro team to commit to defense like they do offense.

With D'Antoni as coach though, it's to be expected. Which is why the Knicks will not win anything in this system.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                      2011 Poster Of The Year
                      • Mar 2009

Knicks fans are whiners.

D'Antoni finally turned this shit franchise back around, got them to the playoffs, and has them on the right path. Knicks fans should be excited, not bitching about a lack of defense. When you have a coach like D'Antoni (who is an elite coach, btw, that would be unemployed for about 10 minutes if the Knicks canned him), there is no point complaining about defense because he does not win that way, and he isn't going to change - nor should he, because he's a proven winner.

It reminds me of Rams fans who used to bitch about Martz and his lack of a running attack, ignoring the fact that he had All Pro QB's and WR's and won 12 games every year while going to SB's. Why would you want someone who has success to change what works for him? I don't get it.

Comment

• FedEx227
                        Delivers
                        • Mar 2009

If you want to say that D'Antoni's system doesn't win championships, then okay... it probably doesn't.

Then again the awesome 90s Knicks who were rough and tough MEN... didn't win either. Empire defined success by playoffs and consistency in reaching the playoffs, D'Antoni does that... just in a different way than the 90s Knicks.
                        VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• EmpireWF
                          Giants in the Super Bowl
                          • Mar 2009

At the same time fedex, put any professional level coach on a team with Amare and Melo...if they can't make the playoffs they suck. I'm willing to take it slow in terms of judging success....last year was an improvement. The next step is winning playoff games & a series at the least.

If they can accomplish that whenever the next season rolls around, I'll be happy.

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                          Knicks fans are whiners.

D'Antoni finally turned this shit franchise back around, got them to the playoffs, and has them on the right path. Knicks fans should be excited, not bitching about a lack of defense. When you have a coach like D'Antoni (who is an elite coach, btw, that would be unemployed for about 10 minutes if the Knicks canned him), there is no point complaining about defense because he does not win that way, and he isn't going to change - nor should he, because he's a proven winner.

It reminds me of Rams fans who used to bitch about Martz and his lack of a running attack, ignoring the fact that he had All Pro QB's and WR's and won 12 games every year while going to SB's. Why would you want someone who has success to change what works for him? I don't get it.
                          Because D'Antoni's style has not been proven to win it all in the playoffs.

Besides, it'll take more than one season of 500 ball before I start about the coach.

Sign a superstar like Amare and you expect to improve, which they did. Acquire another superstar like Melo, the team did lose some flow in the second half but they managed a winning streak and finished a few games above 500.

Give them a training camp together with the rest of the roster and they should be able to win close to 50 games. Assuming Amare can stay healthy and Billups can, too.

There's obviously more to be excited about now than at any point in the past decade but...there's still plenty of stuff that can cloud that (Walsh stepping down, Isiah looming around, no defense D'Antoni, health, what happens with the cap, DOLAN, etc.).

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

So in summary...

-You have a potential 50-win roster
                            -There is more to be excited about than at any point in many years
                            -You won your first playoff game in a decade last year

...but you still don't like the coach?

Ok. I just don't get it.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                              2011 Poster Of The Year
                              • Mar 2009

Another thing I hate, is stuff like this:

"Because D'Antoni's style has not been proven to win it all in the playoffs."

This is more of a general sports rant, and i'm not trying to pick on Empire here, but this is bullshit. Just because it hasn't won in the playoffs, doesn't mean that it can't, or that it has been proven that it can't.

Sports is all about matchups. D'Antoni ran into some very, very good Spurs teams seemingly every season. Great teams, and a bad matchup for his Suns personal wise. Who knows what happens if they don't run into the Spurs every year.

It's like saying the Pacers or Knicks weren't good enough to win in the 90's. Bullshit. They weren't good enough to beat Jordan, and were incredibly unlucky to play in the same era as a freak of nature.

IDK, I just hate sweeping generalizations, especially when it comes to the "win the championship or you are useless and suck" attitude that sports fans have these days.

Comment

Working...