X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Ricky Rubio's 2011-12 NBA Tracking Thread

Please don't be a bust like everyone thinks you will be.

He's coming off the bench in his NBA debut tonight for the TWolves with their guard-infested roster.

Timberwolves: Ricky Rubio's wait is over

Minnesota Timberwolves rookie point guard Ricky Rubio is not expected to start in his NBA debut tonight against the Oklahoma City Thunder at Target Center.

But new coach Rick Adelman plans to use the 22 year-old Spanish phenom as the primary backup to nine-year veteran Luke Ridnour in the regular-season opener.

"It will be amazing after two long years to finally play here in (an) NBA game," Rubio, a 2009 first-round draft pick of the Timberwolves, said after this morning's shootaround. "I'm excited and a little nervous, but once I get in the game I will only be thinking about basketball."

Rubio, who grew up in Barcelona, played overseas the last two years with Regal FC Barcelona before taking advantage of a buyout in his contract to join the Timberwolves. Rubio said he's been nursing a sprained right ankle but is fit to play tonight.

"My ankle feels a lot better," Rubio said. "It's not sore anymore."

Rubio was injured in the second quarter of the first exhibition game, Dec. 17 against the Milwaukee Bucks. He did not play in the Timberwolves' exhibition win at Milwaukee on Wednesday.

Tonight's game also represents the NBA debut for rookie forward Derrick Williams, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2011 NBA draft. The 6-foot-8 Williams will be used off the bench as part of a rotation with forwards Kevin Love, Michael Beasley and Anthony Tolliver.

"I've been waiting for this day a long time," said Williams, who starred for two years at the University

of Arizona. "We don't have to worry anymore about the lockout or anything like that. Now it's all about basketball. As soon as the season starts, we'll keep playing, and that's a good feeling."
    The Timberwolves' starting lineup tonight is expected to be Ridnour at point guard, Love at power forward, Beasley at small forward, Wesley Johnson at shooting guard and Darko Milicic at center.

As of noon today, Timberwolves media relations director Mike Cristaldi said, about 500 tickets were available for tonight's game. If those are sold, it would be the team's first sellout for a home opener in four years. The Timberwolves drew a sellout crowd of 19,443 against the Denver Nuggets on Nov. 2, 2007. Capacity for Timberwolves' home games at Target Center is 19,356.

• Point Blank
    Needs a hobby
    • Oct 2008

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
      Beautiful Like Moses
      • Oct 2008

Him balancing out ball on the other in the picture will be the highlight of his NBA career.

Comment

• EmpireWF
        Giants in the Super Bowl
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
        Him balancing out ball on the other in the picture will be the highlight of his NBA career.
        Why the hate?

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

Game #1
          Loss vs. Thunder, 104-100

26 Minutes
          2-3 FG, 0-1 3PT, 2-2 FT
          6 Pts
          5 Reb
          6 Ast
          4 Fouls

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vno5QTmq0JE"]Ricky Rubio Sick Pass To Randolph - YouTube[/ame]

More highlights @ Deadspin

Comment

• ralaw
            Posts too much
            • Feb 2009

I can't help to think that this thread is a Rubio tracking thread to NY.....Empire :seeyou:

Rubio is going to be a good player...He won't be an elite PG, but he'll be on that second tier. You can't teach court vision like he has. He obviously will need to work on his jumpshot, as he's going to have to be a scoring threat, but I'm sure that'll happen. He has a certain flair to his game that really makes you want to watch.

Comment

• NAHSTE
              Probably owns the site
              • Feb 2009

He looked good last night. Certainly didn't embarrass himself, and showed some incredible court vision.

The assist to Randolph was sick.

Comment

• j.hen
                Self Care
                • Oct 2008

Rubio is going to be the shit. Fuck all you haters.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                  My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                  • Mar 2009

6 AST to 0 TO is a pretty fucking good debut.

Comment

• Mogriffjr
                    aka Reece
                    • Apr 2009

amazing court vision...Rondo-esque with the bounce pass, etc. He sure got that place jumping.
                    Originally posted by Nick Mangold
                    Wes Welker is a great player. He's really taken advantage of watching film. If we don't keep a Spy on him, he could really open the Gate.

Comment

• Rudi
                      #CyCueto
                      • Nov 2008

Rubio and Dwill are going to be a force to reckon with. Minnesota may have their own claim to Lob City eventually

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                        Highwayman
                        • Feb 2009

He's going to be good. Not elite. But good.

Comment

• Hasselbeck
                          Jus' bout dat action boss
                          • Feb 2009

I'm with Kuz.. I think he busts .. but we'll see
                          Originally posted by ram29jackson
                          I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• Rudi
                            #CyCueto
                            • Nov 2008

Gotta check out their game tonight. He better not disappoint.

Comment

• strahanfan92
                              Meat
                              • Aug 2009

How he do

Comment

Working...