• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Primetime
    Thank You Prince
    • Nov 2008

The NBA's Top 10 Most Overpaid Players

1. Ben Wallace, PF-C, Cleveland Cavaliers

In addition to now ranking No. 2 among NBA post defenders named Wallace, Ben is giving the Cavs 3 points and 6.7 rebounds in exchange for their 14.5 million scoots. If a trade with the Suns had occurred, I doubt that the training staff in Phoenix could have resurrected this guy, too. It's also a shame that he doesn't even have the best hair among Cleveland post players.

2. Jermaine O'Neal, C, Miami Heat

Yeah, I realize that in one year from now O'Neal's whopping salary will be considered a bonanza as Miami clears cap space for the Sensational Free Agent Summer of 2010. But it would be nice if the Toronto Raptors and Heat could expect more than 13.4 points and 6.8 rebounds per game for splitting Jermaine's $21.3 million. At least the Heat have someone to post up now while Wade is icing his elbow.

3. Tracy McGrady, SG, Houston Rockets

The player some of my pals used to think was better than Kobe Bryant is averaging 15.6 points, 4.4 rebounds and 5 dimes. I wonder if his sore back and bad knee can be traced to improper technique used while attempting to lift his wallet ($21 million this year). We'll have to see if microfracture surgery will impact the macroeconomics that hit next season in the final year of his contract.

4. Kenyon Martin, PF, Denver Nuggets

You'd think getting 14.1 points and 6.3 rebounds per game would be a steal for a player being paid about $3 million per season. And you'd be right. The Nuggets are paying K-Mart a cool $14.1 million. He has a player option for $16.5 million in two years; think he'll exercise that baby?

5. Nazr Mohammed, C, Charlotte Bobcats

Right, he's one of the rank and file struggling along at $6 million, while Larry Brown struggles (and fails) to find more burn for a center putting up 2.5 points, 2 rebounds and making an icy 39 percent of his field-goal tries. Here's the good news: his contract won't die for two more years! We'll see if Michael Jordan can prove he's learned a few lessons by not

6. Mark Blount, C, Miami Heat

If Mark could have managed more than 3.9 points and 1.8 rebounds for his $7.3 million, the Heat wouldn't be overpaying Jermaine O'Neal to offer a pulse in the pivot. His performance also paved the way for the arrival of Joel Anthony and Jamaal Magloire. At least they all have managed to stay out of the way of Dwyane Wade.

7. Dan Gadzuric, C, Milwaukee Bucks

He may deserve a bailout call or two on his salary (a measly $6.2 million), but the 3.4 points and 3.3 rebounds have managed to make losing Andrew Bogut seem as bad as a long-term injury to Bill Russell. Dan has two more lovely years on his contract, which should make it a hayride to re-sign Charlie Villanueva and Ramon Sessions.

8. Darko (Milicic) and Marko (Jaric), Euros, Memphis Grizzlies

They only combine for $13.5 million this year, which doesn't seem all that prosperous until we point out that they only combine for 8.5 points. At least the Grizzlies can't be accused of having traded Sam Cassell for Marko or drafting Darko instead of Carmelo Anthony (among others). And they didn't get rid of the other Gasol brother.

9.Allen Iverson, SG in PG body, Detroit Pistons

While Iverson doesn't deserve all of the credit for Detroit's slide or the coaching change and trade that encouraged it, the Pistons probably expected more bang than 18.2 points per game for their 21.9 million bucks. But the Pistons are leading the league in home attendance with him in uniform, right? Right, just like they did without him last season.

10. Adam Morrison, SF, Los Angeles Lakers

The competition for the last spot on our overpaid roster was intense. For example, Atlanta's Mike Bibby ($15.2 million) is in the team photo with Steve Nash and Andre Miller for meekest point guard defense and Philly's Elton Brand was averaging about one million bucks for every point on his scoring average. But for his $4.4 million in what qualifies as chump change, Morrison needs to do more than get a haircut.
  • Point Blank
    Needs a hobby
    • Oct 2008

Has Morrison been getting any clock?

Comment

• Onez
      ZENOmenal
      • Nov 2008

I came in here to defend Vince, to say he shouldn't be in this top 10 at all, but you didn't mention him

Comment

• dave
        Go the fuck outside
        • Oct 2008

In fairness to O'Neal and McGrady, both have a ton of injuries.
        I respect O'Neal ... he wanted to make things happen in Toronto. It just didn't work out.
        McGrady has one of those knee issues that basketball players like him can't deal with. Once it happens, they're toast.

Pistons didn't get Iverson to win, they got him for his expiring contract. Nothing more.

Marko Jaric married and impregnated Adriana Lima. Enough said.
        Last edited by dave; 03-03-2009, 02:57 AM.
        My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Primetime
          Thank You Prince
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by dave
          In fairness to O'Neal and McGrady, both have a ton of injuries.
          I respect O'Neal ... he wanted to make things happen in Toronto. It just didn't work out.
          McGrady has one of those knee issues that basketball players like him can't deal with. Once it happens, they're toast.

Pistons didn't get Iverson to win, they got him for his expiring contract. Nothing more.

Marko Jaric married and impregnated Adriana Lima. Enough said.
          O'Neal: 13PPG......<7RPG = No Defense considering he's been healthy most of the year

McGrady: Knee injury or not, he's never been out of the 1st round. Fail

Iverson: Doesn't matter what team he's on. Just a cancer to a team.

Marko Jaric: Who gives a damn?

Comment

• Primetime
            Thank You Prince
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by MacGruber
            Wow.. umm..

Google Gilbert Arenas please. Lawl.
            Didn't take guys like Arenas and Marbury who haven't played all season into consideration.

Comment

• dave
              Go the fuck outside
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Primetime232
              O'Neal: 13PPG......<7RPG = No Defense considering he's been healthy most of the year

He hasn't been healthy much of the year, I'm a Raptors' fan. Trust me.

McGrady: Knee injury or not, he's never been out of the 1st round. Fail

Not a big McGrady fan either, but his injuries are legit right now.

Iverson: Doesn't matter what team he's on. Just a cancer to a team.

In fairness to Iverson, he's never really been on a team remotely championship-caliber. Though I see your point.

Marko Jaric: Who gives a damn?
              He sleeps with Adriana Lima. If you can't respect that, I don't know what you can respect.
              Responses above...
              My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Esjay
                Luck2Hilton
                • Feb 2009

Nice list, I agree with most of it.

The NBA has more players I hate than any other major sport. It seems like SO many players are making waaaaay more money than they're worth.

Originally posted by deansie
                i was gonna come in here and defend gilbert, but no need. Gilbert sacrificed some salary for the benefit of the team tho.
                LOL what's his contract at now, 110M? No team with Gilbert Arenas as it's best player will ever win a title. Ever. Same with Vince, T-Mac, etc.
                Last edited by Esjay; 03-03-2009, 04:02 AM.

Comment

• mfbmike
                  Goat****er
                  • Nov 2008

Saw this on foxsports. i lul'd.

Comment

• A Tasty Burgerr
                    ▄█▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀
                    • Oct 2008

I would put Michael Redd's max contract on here ahead of Morrison, dude's on a rookie contract its not that bad

Comment

• Primetime
                      Thank You Prince
                      • Nov 2008

I really have no idea why Michael Redd isn't on this list.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Luol Deng will be on this list soon...............

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                          Beautiful Like Moses
                          • Oct 2008

Lol @ Dan Gadzuric. I can never figure out why he doesnt get PT, especially with Bogut out. That guy puts up SOLID defensive numbers with run. Hes a good shot blocker and a solid rebounder too. The Bucks just never give him run. Im guessing he makes some bone-headed plays that hinder him.

Allen Iverson isnt over-paid in the scheme of the NBA. SMH @ that..

Comment

• Awesometrax
                            Noob
                            • Feb 2009

So why is Larry Hughes not on this list?
                            Finally back after a 3 year hiatus!

Comment

• Primetime
                              Thank You Prince
                              • Nov 2008

For the record, I didn't make this list. It was on foxsports.

Comment

Working...