Does Luol Deng Deserve to be an All Star?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FedEx227
    Delivers
    • Mar 2009

He takes bad shots and only worries about dunks and looking flashy.

These are not things that should be represented in the NBA All Star Game.
    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• NAHSTE
      Probably owns the site
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
      He takes bad shots and only worries about dunks and looking flashy.

These are not things that should be represented in the NBA All Star Game.
      At first I was like

But then, I

Comment

• nwfisch
        No longer a noob
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by NAHSTE
        This is all true (less so than it was in the past, but still true), but if he outperforms other players in the conference even with his stubborn shot selection ... why hold it against him?

If he's more deserving based on performance than the other guy, let him in. You don't punish him for what his potential could be.

He's averaging 1.5 blocks and 1.5 steals per game, 16 ppg, 8.5 boards, 3 assists ... Quite clearly he's a well rounded player who affects the game on both ends, but hey let's never let him in the All-Star game because of his perceived lack of discipline.
        Because I don't see his defense helping his team, I do see his bad shot selection (and the Hawks bad shot selection in general) shooting themselves out of a game.

I see the 20 foot jump shots and the Phillips Center crowd groaning everytime he gets the ball.

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by nwfisch
          Because I don't see his defense helping his team, I do see his bad shot selection (and the Hawks bad shot selection in general) shooting themselves out of a game.

I see the 20 foot jump shots and the Phillips Center crowd groaning everytime he gets the ball.
          Seriously? 7th in the league in blocks per game, 20th in steals per game ...

Yeah, those don't help.

Comment

• FedEx227
            Delivers
            • Mar 2009

Yeah, I'm going to need some clarification on that one.
            VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• nwfisch
              No longer a noob
              • Jul 2011

Seriously? 7th in the league in blocks per game, 20th in steals per game ...

Yeah those don't help.
              When I think of a good defense, I think of a unit as a whole, not as an individual players.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                Probably owns the site
                • Feb 2009

When I think of a good defense, I think of a unit as a whole, not as an individual players.
                Hawks are 5th-best in scoring defense.

Comment

• nwfisch
                  No longer a noob
                  • Jul 2011

Hawks are 5th-best in scoring defense.

Bulls are third.

Comment

• nwfisch
                    No longer a noob
                    • Jul 2011

No matter how many times NBA players, coaches and analysts remind the world that the All-Star voting process is "all politics," snubbed players with legit candidacies still get bent out of shape over not being selected.

This year's prime example: Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith, who is averaging 15.9 points, 9.3 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 2.1 blocks and 1.4 steals while shooting 46.7 percent from the field in 34.4 minutes a night. The Hawks are currently 18-9, good for fourth in the Eastern Conference. That's a strong, strong resume, but Smith was left off the final Eastern Conference All-Star team in favor of guys like teammate Joe Johnson, Chicago Bulls forward Luol Deng, Philadelphia 76ers forward Andre Iguodala and Boston Celtics forward Paul Pierce.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution captured Smith's predictable explosion here and here.

"I guess I don't know the right people or kiss enough [butt]."

“You’ve got to factor in there is a lot of politics involved in the All-Star selection,” Smith said Friday. “Once you get that it’s really about politics, then nothing really surprises you. I call it ‘Nothing But Associates,’ NBA. It’s all who you know.”

“I can’t really point a finger and blame anybody because, at the end of the day, when you leave it up to certain people that still have ties to their agents, [and] players in this game today probably [are] just putting in a bid over the phone, or however they do it,” he said. “You have to factor that in.”

Smith finds himself at a familiar crossroads, one that faced Portland Trail Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge last season. Both players stand no chance of being selected as starters by the fans, and are therefore at the mercy of the league's coaches to select them. They can therefore continue to rage against the system and hope that at some point their play is so sensational that the coaches will be forced to vote them in on merit, or they can increase their odds by making small concessions to the system, getting their hands a little bit dirty into the politics.

For the private Aldridge, that meant opening a Twitter account, doing far more interviews -- national and local -- than he had done before, opening up about his mother's cancer and being supported by his coach (who lobbied for him) and organization (who produced Beats By Dre Headphones and sent them out to the other coaches and national media members).

Smith is entering his prime after getting slapped with the "immature" tag early in his career. He's absolutely right: On talent, he is an All-Star. But he plays on a balanced, good-but-not-great, off-the-radar team and that makes it difficult for him to be selected because he's battling his own fan-friendlier teammates, like Johnson and center Al Horford, for selection year after year. He's constantly going to be in a dogfight with the second best player on the East's elite teams for one of those finals spots.

He's facing a stacked deck, but a political consultant would look at this situation and see nothing but opportunity, given the high level and consistency of Smith's play over the last five years. Smith's story starts with winning, as he is one of the league's top 2-way players and the Hawks are headed for their fifth straight playoff appearance. It would continue with his evolution and maturity as a player, a story he could tell -- through gritted teeth, surely -- in a few well-placed media interviews, where Smith gives the credit to his coach(es) and offers a candid personal vignette about the turning point when life in the NBA world "clicked" for him. That stuff sounds corny, and it is, but it also works, and it would be more than enough to build some buzz these days.

The question facing Smith is whether going down that road is an acceptable compromise or whether he would prefer to be totally annexed from the "Nothing But Associates" culture. All-Star Weekend is a giant circus seeking performers to help sell the story. Note the words "circus," "performers" and "sell," none of which jives particularly well with Smith's brash, take-me-as-I-am style. Again, this is up to Smith. The snubbing can be avoided in the future, but it will take some higher-level campaigning.
                    Maybe if you wouldn't take stupid shots, which is what people remember, coaches would be more willing to select you to the team.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                      Probably owns the site
                      • Feb 2009

Maybe if you wouldn't take stupid shots, which is what people remember, coaches would be more willing to select you to the team.
                      Still has a higher field goal percentage and efficiency rating than Luol Deng.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                        Giants in the Super Bowl
                        • Mar 2009

I don't think that a player like Josh Smith should have gotten in. I think of an undisciplined player on the court with all the talent in the world when I think of Smith.

Who cares what you think about.

Josh Smith has better #s.

Comment

• nwfisch
                          No longer a noob
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by EmpireWF

Who cares what you think about.

Josh Smith has better #s.
                          Obviously you care, since you responded to my post.

Comment

• nwfisch
                            No longer a noob
                            • Jul 2011

Still has a higher field goal percentage and efficiency rating than Luol Deng.

Carlos Boozer is responsible for more defensive win shares than Josh Smith. :brianwilson:

Comment

• nwfisch
                              No longer a noob
                              • Jul 2011

ZOMG! Josh Smith had better numbers. Guess he should have been an all-star.

Lebron should have won every MVP since 05-06, because he had better numbers. There are worse crimes in sports than getting "snubbed" from an all star team.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                                Probably owns the site
                                • Feb 2009

Good to see Luol Deng get worked on the baseline repeatedly by Rondo. Oh and the C's have already scored 26 points with two minutes left in the first quarter. Looks like Deng is not helping Chicago's team defense, amirite?

Comment

Working...