Are the Heat Officially Lebron James' Team?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Are the Heat Officially Lebron James' Team?

The Spurs' dismantling of the Heat demands a rethinking of the pecking order of the great modern franchises, J.A. Adande writes.

MIAMI -- It started with the music.

LeBron James preferred a different introduction song when the Miami Heat players were announced at home. The song was changed. James wanted music to be played in the locker room, not just in headphones, before the game. Loudly. The change was permitted.

It has manifested itself in dozens of different of other ways, both blatant and subtle, recently. James has been taking over the Heat, becoming the focal point and becoming the floor leader. It may not be permanent. Few things in the game are, even if some prefer definitive and unwavering declarations. But right now the Heat are James' team.

It may never have been more clear than in the Heat's 83-72 victory over the Chicago Bulls on Thursday, a win that trimmed the Bulls' hold on the top seed in the Eastern Conference to 1˝ games. These two teams may not have considered it a vital game -- the Bulls played again without Derrick Rose because of a foot injury, and the Heat played without Chris Bosh -- but it sure was an indication of where things currently stand.

James had 27 points, 11 rebounds and six assists. He led the Heat in all three categories. This is unremarkable. He has led Miami in scoring for 12 straight games now, the longest streak of any Heat player since he joined up with Dwyane Wade and Bosh in 2010. He leads the Heat in scoring, shooting, rebounding, assists and steals and is generally recognized as the team's best defender. But that sort of control of a team hasn't happened … since James did it two years ago when he was with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Wade had 18 points Thursday and a few key baskets in the second half that helped finish the Bulls off. But he also was clearly playing rhythm and not lead. He controlled the ball only when James was out. He was the option after James the majority of the time.

Some of this is circumstantial. Wade has missed five games over the past three weeks to rest various injuries. As a result, he's not in perfect sync right now and he looks like the time off has built up a little rust. James, who has taken over at point guard during stretch play without a true 1, is averaging 29 points a game in that same span, his most prolific tear of the season.

Seeing James command huddles, bark orders on the floor and -- as was the case against the Bulls after he recovered from a case of cramps in the fourth quarter -- even put himself back in the game, it's hard to miss the shift that has been taking place.

"D-Wade hasn't been in the lineup as much as he would like to and I've tried to pick up my leadership and my play," James said. "My teammates look to me as a leader. I want to be there for them."

The Heat are 12-1 this season when James plays and Wade doesn't. That's a crucial stat, if only because it means the Heat are still in the hunt for the league's best record even though Wade has battled several minor injuries plus a recent case of dead legs he still seems to be fighting through.

But all those extra minutes with James as the centerpiece seems to have created a new balance of power within the team. It's not something that can be quantified with numbers, but it's there for all to see. The fans see it too.

It's James who gets the automatic "M-V-P" chants now when he's at the line. It's James who gets a cheer when he rises off the bench to go to the scorer's table. Wade is still their first love, no doubt, but James has earned their attention.

"He has a remarkable ability to rise to whatever the team needs the most," coach Erik Spoelstra said.

"Right now he is really giving this team a sense of urgency, particularly after that three-week stretch when we weren't playing where we knew we were capable of. The guys have been following his lead since then. He has been more vocal and it's a good thing. We will need all of our guys, and Dwyane is a captain for a reason."

Spoelstra is right. Wade is a captain and the Heat very likely will need him. It has been proved that James cannot carry a team to a title by himself. Wade has a long résumé of those moments, and James' is spotty when it comes to the postseason.

But Spoelstra is right about something else, too. As the Heat prepare for the playoffs, it's James' lead they have been following. They are winners of their last five games and playing their best basketball since February.

"I'm just being more vocal at this point in the season," James said. "I know what is around the corner for us."
  • ralaw
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

Yes, Miami goes as James goes. It's plainly obvious when you watch them play. I said as much when he went to Miami, but most believed he’d play Scottie Pippen to Wade’s Jordan (LOL). James is so talented and dominant and it amazes me that as good as Wade is (top 5 player in the league) he's still in James' shadow. However, James will be judged by how he plays in the playoffs and he HAS to win a championship to really cement it.

Comment

• Senser81
      VSN Poster of the Year
      • Feb 2009

I think from the start James was better than Wade. At his best Wade would be James' equal, but they would still be different players. Wade a better scorer and probably more aggressive, James a better all-around guy. But Wade is older and much less durable than he used to be. Its almost like James HAS to be the leader, because he's the guy on the floor every night.

I think Miami would have been better off if James was clearly made the leader, and Wade stepped aside a la David Robinson to Tim Duncan. But that didn't happen, and this is the first sign that it might happen.

Comment

• FirstTimer
        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Wade is still banged up right now too. You could really see it last night. Plus, all NBA players bitch but I think Wade is/has become more mentally weak over the last few seasons.

Unrelated but if the heat win the title it will be in spite of Erik Spoelstra. He may be the worst coach in the NBA

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

Strictly as a basketball player, James is superior, but when it comes to taking over a game late and willing a team over the top (I don't normally buy into those types of cliches but it is somewhat applicable in a sport like basketball, with a relatively small number of on-court participants) Wade seems to be more cut out for that role.

Comment

• ZoneBlitz
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
            Unrelated but if the heat win the title it will be in spite of Erik Spoelstra. He may be the worst coach in the NBA
            What makes you say that? I think hes a terrible coach for this team but not a bad coach overall.

Comment

• FirstTimer
              Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by ZoneBlitz
              What makes you say that? I think hes a terrible coach for this team but not a bad coach overall.
              Have you seen the Heat play? His rotations are horrible. His sets are bad. His general strategy sucks. Coaching a team with talent like the Bulls and they'd be .500. Spoelstra reminds me of Vinny del Negro...only worse.

Comment

• nwfisch
                No longer a noob
                • Jul 2011

I think the series against Boston and Chicago last year made the Heat LeBron's team.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                  Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

ZB, I always bring this example up but I'll use it again. Last year against the Celtic Rondo is playing with a dislocated elbow. He literally is playing with one arm. Does Spoelstra press Rondo? Does he increase the pressure? Force him to the side of the floor where he would have to use his weak arm? Nope. He allows the Heat defense to sag off of him and let's Rondo go wherever he wants to.

Great work coach.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Last night's game was ridiculous as well. I know LBJ had cramps but Jamesliterally had to ask to be put back in. Spoelstra took James out, let the larger Heat lead dwindle so he had to put James back in to play more minutes. Rather than just getting James hydrated and stepping on the Bulls throats early he sat James, put the game into doubt then had James come back in to help close out the game.

Comment

• FedEx227
                      Delivers
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                      Have you seen the Heat play? His rotations are horrible. His sets are bad. His general strategy sucks. Coaching a team with talent like the Bulls and they'd be .500. Spoelstra reminds me of Vinny del Negro...only worse.
                      One thing I think he's missing is splitting Wade and James up in rotations. Both play a lot better by themselves and you're left with a bench rotation with a top 10-15 player in the NBA on it.
                      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• FirstTimer
                        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
                        One thing I think he's missing is splitting Wade and James up in rotations. Both play a lot better by themselves and you're left with a bench rotation with a top 10-15 player in the NBA on it.
                        It'd be worth a shot...however Spoelstra's biggest issue tome is he doesn't understand how to use guys like Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem, Norris Cole, Mario Chalmers, etc in rotations with the Big 3. I think playing James and Wade together is fine if you know how to manage the parts around them, but Spoelstra doesn't.

Comment

• FedEx227
                          Delivers
                          • Mar 2009

I just think they too often occupy the same space. The floor spacing is so much better when they are separated.

With that said, you are right... Miller, Chalmers, Battier should all be performing better given they are on the court with 3 top 20-25 players. You would THINK they'd be open more and have better looks but somehow they don't.
                          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• nwfisch
                            No longer a noob
                            • Jul 2011

Is Turriaf injured?

Comment

• FirstTimer
                              Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
                              I just think they too often occupy the same space. The floor spacing is so much better when they are separated.

With that said, you are right... Miller, Chalmers, Battier should all be performing better given they are on the court with 3 top 20-25 players. You would THINK they'd be open more and have better looks but somehow they don't.
                              Just thinking off the top of my head If Cole or Battier is on the floor James needs to be on the floor. Chalmers and Bosh can play off Wade. Miller can play off either. Bosh is the swing piece here. Lebron doesn't need a post big when he's in so Bosh can get more minures with Wade who IMO at this point needs another top player, especially with him being a bit hobbled.

Comment

Working...