X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golden Taters
    RIP West
    • Jul 2009

Seattle arena investor can shop for team

SEATTLE – Seattle, King County and the man behind a proposed Seattle NBA/NHL arena announced Wednesday they had reached a memorandum of understanding to build the $490 million facility and that the public cost could be cut significantly if no NHL team is attached.

There are still many hurdles to clear before any construction can begin, including securing an NBA franchise.

Mayor Mike McGinn, Executive Dow Constantine and San Francisco hedge fund manager Chris Hansen released the MOU, which says construction could begin as soon as Seattle knows it is getting an NBA franchise.

The memorandum of understanding now goes before the City Council and King County Council for approval. McGinn-Constantine letter to councils
    The agreement adds a new wrinkle to an original proposal in that an NHL team is no longer needed to start construction. Only an NBA team, with a non-relocation agreement signed, is needed to begin construction on the proposed 18,500-seat facility.

The city/county investment in the project would be capped at $200 million if both an NBA and NHL team are acquired. The city would cover $120 million and the county would pay $80 million.

If it's only an NBA team, the city still covers $120 million, but the county would pay just $5 million. Read the interlocal agreement about the bonds
    The agreement calls for $290 million in private investment.

No NBA or NHL team has committed to playing in Seattle, though both leagues have teams facing ownership and economic challenges in their current home cities.

The MOU also says the city will try to obtain the rights to the name, colors, logos and memorabilia of the Seattle Supersonics from the Oklahoma City Thunder. That team was originally the Sonics before Clay Bennett and his ownership group reached a settlement with Seattle in 2008 to let them out of their lease with KeyArena.

Summary of MOU and interlocal agreements

Hansen's planned arena project still faces many more hurdles. For one, the Seattle Mariners have voiced concerns about the effect of a new arena on traffic in the already congested SODO area, which is home not only to the Mariners' Safeco Field but also to CenturyLink Field, home to the Seahawks and the Sounders.

Labor and business groups involved in operating the Port of Seattle have expressed similar concerns about traffic.

"Nobody has been able to bring to us a city with this combination of major marine cargo activity," says Dave Gering, the Executive Director of the Manufacturing Industrial Council of Seattle. "I think you're not sure you're ready to sign the Memorandum of Understanding unless you understand the ramifications."

McGinn responded to the traffic concerns bluntly Wednesday.

"People coming to the city, to an event is a good thing," he said, followed by applause from supporters.

What happens to KeyArena? In a letter to McGinn, Hansen suggests a couple possibilities are remove seats and turn it into a theater venue or an exhibition space. But he warns either option could be expensive and would need study. The other option is to keep it running as an arena.

Information from KING 5’s Chris Daniels and Associated Press compiled by Travis Pittman.
  • Golden Taters
    RIP West
    • Jul 2009

YES!!!

Comment

• Golden Taters
      RIP West
      • Jul 2009

Just in case it wasn't clear, the new team will be the Seattle Supersonics, we still own the right to the name and color scheme. Seattle will try to get back our old records, trophies and banners, retired numbers, etc from Oklahoma City.

Comment

• ralaw
        Posts too much
        • Feb 2009

It's pretty screwed up that a great team such as OKC could have been in Seattle. I always liked those Payton. Kemp, Shrempf, McMillan, Hawkins, etc Seattle teams. I wonder which team will relocate?

Comment

• Juggernaut
          Sitting on the Sidelines
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Potatoes002
          Just in case it wasn't clear, the new team will be the Seattle Supersonics, we still own the right to the name and color scheme. Seattle will try to get back our old records, trophies and banners, retired numbers, etc from Oklahoma City.
          I don't see you guys getting the old records back, but its great that the SS are coming back. I always loved Payton and Kemp.

Comment

• FirstTimer
            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Juggernaut
            I don't see you guys getting the old records back.
            I really doubt OKC cares?

Comment

• Juggernaut
              Sitting on the Sidelines
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
              I really doubt OKC cares?
              They will if the new Sonics don't want their records shared with the Thunder.

Also,
              "The MOU also says the city will try to obtain the rights to the name, colors, logos and memorabilia of the Seattle Supersonics from the Oklahoma City Thunder."

I can see Bennett giving the right to the name and logo (which he owns), but when he bought the team he bought their history as well. He's not going to give everything away for free.

Comment

• Golden Taters
                RIP West
                • Jul 2009

I disagree, I really don't think OKC will really care about having Seattle's old records dating back 40+ years.

Comment

• Berowsk
                  Fuck Bitches, Get Wawa.
                  • Oct 2008

But then what happens to all the records of said team moving to SEA?

Shit would just get too complicated, IMO.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Golden Taters
                    RIP West
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Berowsk
                    But then what happens to all the records of said team moving to SEA?

Shit would just get too complicated, IMO.
                    How would it be complicated? Whatever team moves here, their records would stay with their city. Didn't the Cleveland Browns move to Baltimore and the records stayed with Cleveland for a new team?

Comment

• Bomberooski
                      #GoHawks
                      • Feb 2009

Achievement: Boner
                      I give rep not thanks
                      My Audio Blog (Whoring)

Comment

• Juggernaut
                        Sitting on the Sidelines
                        • Dec 2008

I disagree, I really don't think OKC will really care about having Seattle's old records dating back 40+ years.
                        As long as you don't mind sharing your histories that'll be fine, the Thunder have already continued their history by merging records with the old sonics records. The Thunder game/season records are merged with the old sonics records.

How would it be complicated? Whatever team moves here, their records would stay with their city. Didn't the Cleveland Browns move to Baltimore and the records stayed with Cleveland for a new team?
                        So you'd be asking OKC to remove their history from the records, which I don't see Bennett letting fly. When he bought the team, he bought their history as well.

I don't see him giving up the records for free, maybe x sum will do it for him however.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Juggernaut
                          As long as you don't mind sharing your histories that'll be fine, the Thunder have already continued their history by merging records with the old sonics records. The Thunder game/season records are merged with the old sonics records.
                          You act as though it would be some terrible mathematical inconvenience to "unmerge" them.

Do you own a calculator with an operating subtraction function?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

I think any franchise that chooses to move, and then chooses to change the team name, logo, etc, should lose the rights to the history of that name/logo. The OKC Thunder "history" should begin with the first game of the Thunder, and the Supersonic/Sonic history should end the day that nickname ceased to exist. It was pretty silly last night reading a graphic on the screen that read "The Thunder are 9-0 when leading a playoff series 2-0". No they aren't.

The last thing the NBA needs is an expansion team, so if this happens, for all parties involved, hopefully somebody relocates.

On the topic of name changes, the word going around a few weeks ago was that Charlotte wanted the Hornets name back, and New Orleans is ok with that, because they want to rename their team anyway. If that goes down, good luck sorting out those histories.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                              Probably owns the site
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                              I think any franchise that chooses to move, and then chooses to change the team name, logo, etc, should lose the rights to the history of that name/logo. The OKC Thunder "history" should begin with the first game of the Thunder, and the Supersonic/Sonic history should end the day that nickname ceased to exist. It was pretty silly last night reading a graphic on the screen that read "The Thunder are 9-0 when leading a playoff series 2-0". No they aren't.

The last thing the NBA needs is an expansion team, so if this happens, for all parties involved, hopefully somebody relocates.

On the topic of name changes, the word going around a few weeks ago was that Charlotte wanted the Hornets name back, and New Orleans is ok with that, because they want to rename their team anyway. If that goes down, good luck sorting out those histories.
                              The Hornets rebranding is going to be terrible, you can bet your ass. One of the name finalists is "Angels" ...

Comment

Working...