Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuperKevin
    War Hero
    • Dec 2009

Does Kevin Martin take his 6th man spot or do they move Thabo to the bench instead?

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Highwayman
      • Feb 2009

This deal is why Sam Presti is the best GM in the business.

Listen, everyone knows or knew that to stay in OKC, you need to take a salary cut. Kevin Durant did when he took out the opt out clause in his contract. Ibaka and Westbrook straight up too less money to stay in OKC. Nick Collison did, too. They all did it knowing that is what needed to happen to stay together. James Harden also knew this and had spread the word over the summer through several interviews that he will.

Mind you, this is the same James Harden who wrote to Sam Presti convincing him to draft him @ #3 overall, because he was convinced OKC would be the best place for him and ultimately, it was the reason why they chose Harden over Steph Curry and Tyreke Evans...because Harden wanted to go there, and he has said nothing but things that state he wanted to stay in OKC...so, very strange now that Harden refused the near max deal he was being offered...which, IMO, was very forthcoming for OKC to do, as, they jumped their offer nearly 5M in the last week.

For Presti...smart man...he had until Wednesday to ink Harden and at 12:01am EST on Nov 1, Harden's trade value decreases dramatically and then they can't sign him. So, after Harden rejects the last deal, he takes a very strong offer from Houston.

Kevin Martin is a veteran that can come right in and replace Harden's scoring off the bench. No, he can't give you the efficiency and overall presence off the bench that Harden did (Harden was a mad man on the floor when Durant and Westbrook took a seat)...but he can replace the scoring. They also get a young player in Lamb and they get 3 draft picks...

...of which, has any detail come through about what picks they acquired?

the Rockets have a real nice Raptors pick that is Top 3 protected in 2013, Top 2 protected in 2014, and Top 1 protected in 2015...could be a nice pick the Thunders pick up.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        Highwayman
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Mogriffjr
        i can't believe he turned the deal down for 8 mill in essence...

he'll get his max but will be in a losing situation for a while...
        I guess 4.5M over the life of the four year contract is worth being a non-playoff team for a while. All of his boys on the team took some sort of pay cut...and...the 6th man decides he is too good for that...

Get your money...fine by me...but have fun as one of the worst teams in the league.

Sounds dumb to me...

But, that is why Sam Presti is the best in the biz.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          Highwayman
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SuperKevin
          Does Kevin Martin take his 6th man spot or do they move Thabo to the bench instead?
          I think Martin could move into Harden's 6th man spot and not miss a beat in the scoring category...would allow OKC to just keep moving on.

Comment

• Argath
            $2 whore
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            This deal is why Sam Presti is the best GM in the business.

Listen, everyone knows or knew that to stay in OKC, you need to take a salary cut. Kevin Durant did when he took out the opt out clause in his contract. Ibaka and Westbrook straight up too less money to stay in OKC. Nick Collison did, too. They all did it knowing that is what needed to happen to stay together. James Harden also knew this and had spread the word over the summer through several interviews that he will.

Mind you, this is the same James Harden who wrote to Sam Presti convincing him to draft him @ #3 overall, because he was convinced OKC would be the best place for him and ultimately, it was the reason why they chose Harden over Steph Curry and Tyreke Evans...because Harden wanted to go there, and he has said nothing but things that state he wanted to stay in OKC...so, very strange now that Harden refused the near max deal he was being offered...which, IMO, was very forthcoming for OKC to do, as, they jumped their offer nearly 5M in the last week.

For Presti...smart man...he had until Wednesday to ink Harden and at 12:01am EST on Nov 1, Harden's trade value decreases dramatically and then they can't sign him. So, after Harden rejects the last deal, he takes a very strong offer from Houston.

Kevin Martin is a veteran that can come right in and replace Harden's scoring off the bench. No, he can't give you the efficiency and overall presence off the bench that Harden did (Harden was a mad man on the floor when Durant and Westbrook took a seat)...but he can replace the scoring. They also get a young player in Lamb and they get 3 draft picks...

...of which, has any detail come through about what picks they acquired?

the Rockets have a real nice Raptors pick that is Top 3 protected in 2013, Top 2 protected in 2014, and Top 1 protected in 2015...could be a nice pick the Thunders pick up.
            They got Toronto and Dallas 2013 1st round picks plus the Charlotte 2013 second round pick (Gonna be close to top 5 in the second round)

So in essence, to acquire James Harden, the Rockets give up Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, an almost guaranteed lottery pick from the Raptors, a probable mid-late first round pick from Dallas and a top 10 2nd round pick from Charlotte. What in the fuck are the Rockets thinking? Do they really think James Harden is worth all of that? What a dumb fucking trade for the Rockets.

On the flip side, the Thunder are operating like an NBA 2k team with trade override turned on. I don't know how they pull this shit out of their ass but they are most likely gonna be contending for a NBA Championship next year and drafting high in the lottery. Kmart and Jeremy Lamb will easily replace Harden's minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if Sefolosha is barely seeing 12 minutes a game by season's end.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              Highwayman
              • Feb 2009

IMO, I think Lamb would or should be sent to the D-League for the start of the season...he is almost unneeded right now for the Thunder.

Thabo is waaaaaaay too good of a defender to only see 12 minutes a game. I would expect him to maintain his 20m or so per night with a slight increase come playoff time.

Perhaps a slight tick up in minutes for Reggie Jackson.

That Mavs pick is Top 20 protected for another 5 years...so, it'll have to be a "late" first rounder to use it. It is likely.

That Raptors pick is going to turn into a good player next year...Raps ain't bad enough for Top 3...but they ain't making the playoffs either.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                Highwayman
                • Feb 2009

Will LOLOLOLOL if the Thunders get the #4 pick in next year's draft and draft Shabazz Muhammad.

Comment

• stevsta
                  ¿Que?
                  • Oct 2008

Houston receives the Raptors draft pick next year if it falls between 4-14. If not, it must fall between 3-14 in 2014 or 2015 or 2-14 in 2016 or 2017 to come to Houston. If it never hits any of those ranges, the pick goes to Houston unprotected in 2018.
                  RIP

Comment

• Mogriffjr
                    aka Reece
                    • Apr 2009

IMO, I think Lamb would or should be sent to the D-League for the start of the season...he is almost unneeded right now for the Thunder.

Thabo is waaaaaaay too good of a defender to only see 12 minutes a game. I would expect him to maintain his 20m or so per night with a slight increase come playoff time.

Perhaps a slight tick up in minutes for Reggie Jackson.

That Mavs pick is Top 20 protected for another 5 years...so, it'll have to be a "late" first rounder to use it. It is likely.

That Raptors pick is going to turn into a good player next year...Raps ain't bad enough for Top 3...but they ain't making the playoffs either.
                    yeah people shitting on the Thunder are seriously brain dead.

Get Martin who's just as good a scorer as Harden? check
                    Get Lamb, raw/sweet shooting SG who IMO can do some of the things Harden can do? check
                    TWO 1ST ROUND PICKS? check

This was a no-brainer to me. They'll lose a bit of a playmaker in Harden but that's why having PG Eric Maynor back is huge...he'll be back to running that 2nd unit (and remember before RW blew up, Maynor was stealing PT away from him in crunch time).

That will enhance Martin ability to just focus on being instant offense off the bench.

Add in these rooks, Perry Jones, Lamb, R-JAckson...just amazing what the thunder talent base is.
                    Originally posted by Nick Mangold
                    Wes Welker is a great player. He's really taken advantage of watching film. If we don't keep a Spy on him, he could really open the Gate.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

And then, the Thunder essentially get two first rounders next year...a high first from Toronto and late first from Dallas...that Dallas pick could turn into a pick the year after.

Like I said, LOLOLOLOL, if the Thunder get a cat like Shabazz Muhammad or Cody Zeller or Nerlens Noel.

Comment

• ralaw
                        Posts too much
                        • Feb 2009

Where did you hear that Durant took a paycut? I believe Wesbrook and Ibaka did, but I wasn't sure about Durant.

Comment

• Mogriffjr
                          aka Reece
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
                          Where did you hear that Durant took a paycut? I believe Wesbrook and Ibaka did, but I wasn't sure about Durant.
                          actually he didn't put in an opt out clause and took on max years...
                          Originally posted by Nick Mangold
                          Wes Welker is a great player. He's really taken advantage of watching film. If we don't keep a Spy on him, he could really open the Gate.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
                            He took out the opt out clause...

Comment

• FedEx227
                              Delivers
                              • Mar 2009

It's hard to get mad at either side with this. It's just the nature of the CBA beast. Pay 3 for 1 luxury tax for a team in a smallish market that likely can't afford it. Harden isn't obligated to turn down a deal and take less money.

Thunder and Presti did what they had to do, can't hate them on that. They got value for a guy without much value to them past Wednesday. It's a little bit of a step down, at least from Martin to Harden but Lamb is the key to the deal. If he emerges, it's a great deal.

Win/win, no real loser in this deal.
                              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• FedEx227
                                Delivers
                                • Mar 2009

Oh and Uriji is the best in the biz.

But it's probably Presti. Top 2 IMO.
                                VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

Working...