X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Champ
    Needs a hobby
    • Oct 2008

Five breakout player candidates

Four sophomores made my Impact 25 list of the nation's 25 best players, but I easily could have added several more. The ones who just missed the cut hadn't yet produced enough on the collegiate level for me to include them, but they each flashed enough potential to make me think that we could be seeing big things from them this season.

Here are my top five candidates to have breakout campaigns and emerge as stars in 2012-13.

Otto Porter, F, Georgetown Hoyas
    Porter is from the small town of Sikeston, Mo., but made a huge impact in Washington, D.C. as a freshman for John Thompson III and the Hoyas last season. His multiplicity of skills is reminiscent of former Hoya Jeff Green, and that makes him a great fit for JTIII's system.

While the potential for stardom is there for Porter, there are definite areas of improvement for him this season. First of all, he was a paltry 23 percent from the 3-point line in 2011-12. And he attempted only 84 free throws in 33 games. Given that Georgetown's top three scorers have moved on, he has a golden opportunity to not only become the Hoyas' go-guy, but become one of the best players in the Big East as a sophomore.

Michael Carter-Williams, G, Syracuse Orange
    It's hard to imagine that a player who did not see action in any of Syracuse's four NCAA tournament games could make this list, but then again, who could have predicted that a player who never started a game for Jim Boeheim, Dion Waiters, would be the fourth pick in the NBA draft?

The 6-foot-5 Carter-Williams is an immensely talented player who, with increased minutes, will prove to be one of the best playmakers in the country this season. And he'll be a major nuisance for Orange opponents at the top of the Cuse's 2-3 zone. My Syracuse sources tell me that he's ready to break out in a big way.

James Michael McAdoo, F, North Carolina Tar Heels
    I saw the 6-9 McAdoo both early and late last season, and the player who replaced John Henson in the lineup during the ACC tournament was a much more polished player than the one I saw last fall. In fact, in seven postseason games, McAdoo averaged almost 11 points and five rebounds in 23 minutes per game. That performance gave me hope that he can become a breakout player this season.

But in order to make that significant jump this season, McAdoo will have to become a more physical player in the lane. His offensive rebounding rate a season ago was a pedestrian 9 percent, and he shot only 43 percent from the field, all inside the arc. The good news for head coach Roy Williams is that he has seen McAdoo's potential. In order for the Tar Heels to remain among college basketball's elite, Williams will need to see it all season.

Le'Bryan Nash, F, Oklahoma State Cowboys
    At 6-7 and 230 pounds, Nash has a chance to be a dominant player in the Big 12 -- if he brings the energy every night. Last season the former McDonald's All-American got off to a slow start for the Cowboys, settling for contested jump shots and playing soft in the paint.

That changed midway through conference play when he scored 21 or more points four times in a seven-game stretch. Nash's crowning moment was when he had 27 points in an upset win over No. 2 Missouri. His freshman season ended prematurely when he suffered a fracture in his left hand.

Nash will enjoy the benefit of playing this season with Marcus Smart, another high school All-American from Dallas. Smart has leadership ability and basketball intelligence that could rub off on Nash. If that happens, head coach Travis Ford will have a beast in the lane this season and a potential candidate for Big 12 player of the year.

Chane Behanan, F, Louisville Cardinals
    Behanan may be temporarily in Rick Pitino's doghouse over some Twitter-related issues this fall, but he is the same guy who played a big role in the Cardinals' Final Four run. In fact, he was a double-figures scorer in every one of Louisville's NCAA tournament games.

At 6-7 and 250 pounds, it is easy to see why Pitino compared Behanan last season to a young Jamal Mashburn. And while he doesn't have Mashburn's offensive versatility yet, Behanan has his rebounding instincts and nose for the ball. Because of Louisville's depth, Behanan's numbers may not astound, but he is more than capable of dominating games with his brute force.

• Champ
    Needs a hobby
    • Oct 2008

This was an ESPN insider article. http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...ege-basketball

Comment

• Pitty
      Death, Taxes, Jeff Capel
      • Feb 2009

Expert writing from ESPN Insider, charging money to tell you that former high-4 and 5 star recruits have a good shot of being starters.

/s

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        Highwayman
        • Feb 2009

All of these guys are projected to be first round picks already lol

Comment

Working...