X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheImmortalGoud
    No longer a noob
    • Jan 2011

UCLA Fires Ben Howland

Ben Howland's tenure is over at UCLA. It's finally official.

UCLA released a statement Sunday night saying Howland, who led the school to three consecutive Final Four appearances from 2006 to 2008, has been bought out of the final years of his contract.

“I want to thank Ben for all that he has done for UCLA in his 10 seasons in Westwood,” UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero said. “He embraced our tradition and culture and produced some terrific teams and coached a number of wonderful young men. We wish Ben and his family all the best as they move on to a new chapter in their lives.”

Howland spent 10 seasons in Westwood, compiled a 233-107 overall record and finished his career with a Pac-12 regular-season title. UCLA lost to Minnesota in its first game in the NCAA tournament and finished the season at 25-10.

The Bruins will now, according to sources, target high-profile coaches such as Butler's Brad Stevens and VCU's Shaka Smart.
  • Pitty
    Death, Taxes, Jeff Capel
    • Feb 2009

Stevens has said he doesn't want to leave, no? I doubt that changes entering the new Big East.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Pitty
      Stevens has said he doesn't want to leave, no? I doubt that changes entering the new Big East.
      I agree, but UCLA is CBB royalty and the kind of job where if they offer it, you have to listen. Most guys don't get a chance to coach at UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina so when they call, you answer.

Comment

• Senser81
        VSN Poster of the Year
        • Feb 2009

Pitt should have let Dixon flop at USC and rehired Howland. I'm thinking after dealing with unrealistic expectations, Howland will take the Northwestern job and just cash a paycheck every couple weeks.

Comment

• JeremyHight
          I wish I was Scrubs
          • Feb 2009

UCLA fired a coach that went to three final fours and several post-season appearances in 10 years. It would be dumb for any prominent coach to walk into that environment where expectations are stupidly high when they will be able to pick and choose their destination for the next several years.

Comment

• Glenbino
            Jelly and Ice Cream
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by JeremyHight
            UCLA fired a coach that went to three final fours and several post-season appearances in 10 years. It would be dumb for any prominent coach to walk into that environment where expectations are stupidly high when they will be able to pick and choose their destination for the next several years.
            After the first few years here it wasn't that great. Howland clashed with the media and players out in LA all the time and had to do some pretty shady stuff before this year just to get recruits to start coming back to UCLA.

Look around the college landscape right now and you don't see a ton of successful coaches taking Howland's hard nosed approach to the game.

Comment

• Senser81
              VSN Poster of the Year
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Glenbino
              After the first few years here it wasn't that great. Howland clashed with the media and players out in LA all the time and had to do some pretty shady stuff before this year just to get recruits to start coming back to UCLA.

Look around the college landscape right now and you don't see a ton of successful coaches taking Howland's hard nosed approach to the game.
              Also, UCLA just completed some big facility renovations, and they need an exciting program to get people/fans back on board. Watching Howland's teams was like watching paint dry.

Comment

Working...