X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Rodman: Lebron "Average" if he played in the 1990's

Dennis Rodman says LeBron James would be "average" if he played in the 1990s, and insists James' Miami Heat would be no match for his old Chicago Bulls team.

Dennis Rodman says LeBron James would be "average" if he played in the 1990s, and insists James' Miami Heat would be no match for his old Chicago Bulls team.

"It's really not a comparison. If LeBron was playing in the late '80s and early '90s he would be just an average player," Rodman said Friday on "The Dan Patrick Show." "To do what Michael has done ... what he did was more charisma, there was more articulating and stuff like that. LeBron is more like ... there's no flash to his game. He's a great player, don't get me wrong, he's a hell of player, I'll give him that. But to me Scottie (Pippen) and Michael are probably the two best 1-2 punches I've ever seen."

Rodman, who won three NBA titles with Jordan's Bulls from 1996-98, said a 28-year-old Jordan would average at least 40 points a game in today's NBA.

"I'm just sick and tired of people comparing (James) to Michael Jordan," Rodman said. "It's a whole different era, man."

Rodman said Jordan thrived despite playing in a more physical era in the NBA.

"LeBron came into the age of the game at a perfect time. Michael came into the game when back then you could hit people, knock him down, shoot a free throw and get back up," Rodman said. "And LeBron can't do that. All they do today is (complain) about a foul. All they do is (complain)."

James, who has been to the NBA Finals in each of his three seasons in Miami, won his first title last season. The Heat lost Game 1 of the Finals to the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday.

Rodman believes his best Bulls team would easily defeat James' Heat.

"It would be no contest. The Heat has better talent than we had, but we had smarter players," Rodman said. "That's the only thing we had, smarter players. ... I would take Bosh out of his damn game easy. That's not even a problem. And how would Dwyane Wade match up with Scottie Pippen? Really? And Scottie Pippen would guard LeBron easy. And how are you going to cover those two guys (Jordan and Pippen)?"
  • Primetime
    Thank You Prince
    • Nov 2008

The guy that will likely go down as the 2nd best all time would only be average...

When did Rodman start using again?

Comment

• SethMode
      Master of Mysticism
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Primetime
      The guy that will likely go down as the 2nd best all time would only be average...

When did Rodman start using again?
      I don't agree with Rodman, but this post misses his point entirely.

Comment

• Primetime
        Thank You Prince
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by SethMode
        I don't agree with Rodman, but this post misses his point entirely.
        I was just referencing the title because I agree with 80% of his other thoughts.

Comment

• JeremyHight
          I wish I was Scrubs
          • Feb 2009

Lebron isn't Allen Iverson, diving through the lane a 150 lbs. Lebron is taller, bigger, faster, and stronger than Rodman was during his prime. He'd be fine in any era.

Comment

• Golden Taters
            RIP West
            • Jul 2009

Lebron is too much of an athletic freak compared to his competition to not dominate in the 1980's/1990's.

Comment

• Tailback U
              No substitute 4 strength.
              • Nov 2008

Rodman over exaggerates by saying Lebron would be "average," but then he back tracks and calls him a great player.

He does make several good points, though. Jordan dominated in an era that was dominated by Hall of Fame centers and power forwards. Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Malone, Barkley, Kemp, etc. all played second fiddle to Jordan's Bulls. They weren't even close, really. There was Jordan and the Bulls and then there was everyone else.

It's really amazing to think about, especially when you compare the big men in that era to the big men of today. Lebron is also much bigger than Jordan. No doubt that Lebron would be great in any era, but he wouldn't dominate like he does today because there are maybe a handful of good center's in todays game, while there were easily a handful of hall of fame center's in Jordan's era.

Comment

• Saluki
                Ball So Hard
                • Oct 2008

As much as I hate LeBron, he's so versatile he'd be great in any era, he would def have to adjust his game to deal with the huge difference in physicality, but I think he could hang.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                  War Hero
                  • May 2012

I've never seen so much hatred or disrespect towards a player like I have seen with Lebron.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by JimLeavy59
                    I've never seen so much hatred or disrespect towards a player like I have seen with Lebron.
                    Jordan would have gotten the same shit had the internet been a thing in 1992. It's human nature. Although Lebron does bring some of this on himself. He's not all that likable.

Comment

• GangstaE
                      No longer a noob
                      • Feb 2009

Early on in lebrons career I would say he wouldn't of been able to hang. Now that he has develop more of a post game and is a better shooter he would be able 2. Those big centers just clogged so much lane that if u didnt have a decent mid range or shooters on the court u wouldn't score as easily.

Also the hand checking back then is another pivotal deference to the way defense is played now. I would love to see Lebron against the likes of Pippen, Magic, Penny etc... Those would be terrific match ups but I guess I can only play it virtually.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                        War Hero
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                        Jordan would have gotten the same shit had the internet been a thing in 1992. It's human nature. Although Lebron does bring some of this on himself. He's not all that likable.
                        I don't think any NBA player is likable to be honest.

I find it more odd that they are Kobe fans who might be the biggest piece of shit in the NBA.

Comment

• Houston
                          Back home
                          • Oct 2008

*Compares James to Jordan
                          *Claims it's not a comparison
                          *Claims to be "sick and tired of people comparing (James) to Michael Jordan"
                          *Continues to compare James to Jordan

Comment

• SuperKevin
                            War Hero
                            • Dec 2009

I wish he had stayed in North Korea

Comment

• EmpireWF
                              Giants in the Super Bowl
                              • Mar 2009

Rodman just sticking up for MJ and his Bulls.

Comment

Working...