X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pitty
    Death, Taxes, Jeff Capel
    • Feb 2009

Court Storming Gone Wrong (NMSU-UVU)

Court storming has been a pretty hotly debated issue, not only on VSN, but across the sports world. Usually we are caught up in the #badstorm debate, especially when 5 time National Champions do it, however now the issue turns to player safety.

I've always found it strange that storming is allowed when rivals play, especially when they are particularly hated, and it surprises me that fights almost never break out on the part of the losing team. Well, last night it finally happened, in a game between New Mexico State and Utah Valley, no less. Following the end of regulation, Aggies point guard K.C. Ross-Miller decided to peg, seemingly without provocation, a Utah Valley player with the basketball. Utah Valley players appeal to the referees as the students begin to rush the court in celebration of their win to take over first place in the WAC.

The interesting thing here is that while it begins with another NMSU and UVU player getting into an altercation, the rushing students obscure the staff from breaking it up, and apparently even fan the flames of the situation. I personally think court storming is a stupid tradition, and should only be reserved for conference championship games, or the conference tournament, but alas it seems to happen for some of the most mundane wins now. The backlash from this will undoubtedly be a multiple game suspension for Ross-Miller, but more interesting are the repercussions UVU will hand down regarding the results of the storm.
  • kmanharris
    Seven
    • Oct 2008

Why are either of these schools storming the court for a fucking meaningless February game?

Win your conference tournament to get into the tournament? Storm.

Beat a top 10 team if you're a small program without any significant wins in your history? Storm. Even though you would rarely be the home team anyways.

Win a game over a rival to take over 1st place in the regular season which doesn't even matter. Don't storm.

And FFS, 5 time national champions should never storm.

Comment

• Woy
      RIP West
      • Dec 2008

It was only a matter of time before this happened, and I'm surprised it didn't get worse. I'm worried that our drunken fanbase will try to do the same thing if we win the auto-bid.

This whole thing has lost its appeal with blue blood schools such as Indiana and North Carolina getting involved. As kman mentioned, there's unwritten criteria on what constitutes a good storm, but these kids obviously pay no mind to that. They rather rush onto the court in hopes of ESPN catching them for five seconds or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

Working...