Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Rockets making push for James, Anthony or Bosh

Bleacher Report reports that while the Houston Rockets may not have a shot at Kevin Love, they have their sights set higher, and are primed to make an "all out push" for LeBron James, and failing that, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Bosh.

Now, Rockets officials are aiming for the trifecta, with their sights set on the biggest prize of all: LeBron Raymone James.

A long shot? Perhaps. But the Rockets have defied expectations before.

League sources say that Houston is preparing to make an all-out push to land James when free agency opens on July 1, assuming James opts out, as expected. If the Rockets miss out on James, they will turn their full attention to Carmelo Anthony. Chris Bosh is also on the radar.

via Rockets Poised to Make Texas-Sized Offers in NBA Free Agency to LeBron, Melo | Bleacher Report.

Houston made runs at all three players in 2010's free agency and when Anthony was debating who to be traded to in 2011. They struck out on each player. But since then they've added James Harden and Dwight Howard. They have an aggressive owner who's willing to spend, the tax break of no state income tax, a dynamic guard and a dominant center.

Of course, to get there, the Rockets have to first clear space. They would have to find takers for Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik, both on the books for $8 million in cap space and $15 million in salary through poison pills, and likely more unless James takes a massive paycut.

Then they'd have to convince James to leave Miami, which is still unlikely, given everything.

So the odds aren't great. Anthony's maybe a more likely option. They can provide Anthony real superstar help, the tax situation alleviates the money he's leaving behind in New York. He gives them a scoring threat, but doesn't provide them with a real upgrade at their biggest need: defense.

Bosh, by far, is the most interesting candidate. Bosh would fit perfectly next to Howard. He can defend pick and roll out to the perimeter and stretch the floor. He fits exceptionally well on both sides of the ball. Bosh has long resisted returning to Texas (he grew up in Dallas). But if he could be convinced, that would be ideal from a basketball perspective.

But one thing's certain. The Rockets, again, intend to be aggressive. Dwight Howard has said he won't try and recruit anyone to come to Houston.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...r-lebron-james
    Anthony sounds much more likely all things considered, James and Bosh are long-shots but I guess anything can happen in the NBA.
  • buckeye
    Noob
    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
    Anthony sounds much more likely all things considered, James and Bosh are long-shots but I guess anything can happen in the NBA.
    If I'm Lebron I have two choices to make: Return to Cleveland and help repair my image (face it, the media and general NBA public still hold that fiasco against him), or stay in Miami and force a rebuild that may not include Bosh and Wade (Both are grossly overpaid)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
      Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
      • Jul 2010

dont really think Melo going anywhere........
      3rd & 14, inside your own 15, up 6, 3:20min left to go = call a PA Pass and Cancel. *its Legit, so no needless complaining

Comment

• Houston
        Back home
        • Oct 2008

We don't want Lebon in Houston.

Comment

• dave
          Go the fuck outside
          • Oct 2008

LeBron is either Miami or Cleveland. No chance he does anything else. My guess is Miami. Cleveland's owner burned that bridge and he can lure other players to Miami, not Cleveland.
          My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• EmpireWF
            Giants in the Super Bowl
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by dave
            LeBron is either Miami or Cleveland. No chance he does anything else. My guess is Miami. Cleveland's owner burned that bridge and he can lure other players to Miami, not Cleveland.
            if he leaves Miami, it will be for the Clippers and MAYBE Houston.

Comment

• ralaw
              Posts too much
              • Feb 2009

I'd be shocked if James left Miami, because he is in the best situation to win. Players of James' ilk don't become journeymen looking for winning situations, they create them. It already has been proven players will take less to play with James. I guarantee James and Riley are on the same page in that they're hoping Bosh opts out which leaves Wade as the elephant in the room, because they probably want him around, but at the right price. They're hopeful Wade's ego does not get in the way and he takes substantially less. The only way I see James leaving is if Wade and Bosh opt into their deals.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                Giants in the Super Bowl
                • Mar 2009

Why would Bosh opt out?

Comment

Working...