X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrBill
    Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
    • Feb 2009

Carmelo Anthony will return to the Knicks

The NY Daily News is reporting that Carmelo Anthony will return to the Knicks.

Carmelo Anthony will return to Knicks, announcement on future expected Thursday
    Barring a last-second change of heart, the free agent forward will announce his intention to remain in New York on Thursday. 'He believes in Phil (Jackson),' a source said.

BY Frank Isola
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014, 3:41 PM

Carmelo Anthony believes in Phil Jackson’s plan for the Knicks, and will be back in New York next season, a source close to the All-Star forward said Wednesday.

Carmelo Anthony is prepared to spend the prime years of his career in New York, the Daily News has learned.

A person close to Anthony told The News on Wednesday that barring a last minute change of heart Anthony will re-sign with the Knicks after "agonizing over this" for the past week....
  • jeffx
    • Jun 2009

It just shows you not every player is interested in winning a ring.

Comment

• Derrville
      Dallas has no coaching...
      • Jul 2009

"He believes in money" <=== Fixed

Comment

• 1ke
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
        • Mar 2009

As a non millionaire, I'll never understand these things. He's is going to be rich as fuck!

And win nothing at all.

Comment

• dave
          Go the fuck outside
          • Oct 2008

I always saw Anthony as a me-first player. It really began with how quickly he wanted to throw Jeremy Lin under the bus when Linsanity threatened Anthony's spot as the lead dog. I absolutely get Jeremy Lin is not the player Anthony is - and never will be - but if Anthony was "winning before individual" he would have embraced Lin and did everything to make that dynamic work.

The guy I don't get here is Phil Jackson. He asks Anthony not to ask for max, but gives it to him anyway.
          My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
            Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
            • Jul 2010

would have rather Melo leave......so much for seeing LBJ in a Knick jersey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk;
            MFer
            3rd & 14, inside your own 15, up 6, 3:20min left to go = call a PA Pass and Cancel. *its Legit, so no needless complaining

Comment

• EmpireWF
              Giants in the Super Bowl
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by dave
              I always saw Anthony as a me-first player. It really began with how quickly he wanted to throw Jeremy Lin under the bus when Linsanity threatened Anthony's spot as the lead dog. I absolutely get Jeremy Lin is not the player Anthony is - and never will be - but if Anthony was "winning before individual" he would have embraced Lin and did everything to make that dynamic work.

The guy I don't get here is Phil Jackson. He asks Anthony not to ask for max, but gives it to him anyway.
              Lin leaving had little to do with Melo and everything to do with the owner being butthurt when he got the offer sheet he did (despite Lin being told to go out and see what he's worth).

Comment

• dave
                Go the fuck outside
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                Lin leaving had little to do with Melo and everything to do with the owner being butthurt when he got the offer sheet he did (despite Lin being told to go out and see what he's worth).
                Anthony was badmouthing Lin during that run and it was clear to see that he wanted nothing to do with Linsanity. I get that Anthony is a great offensive player and clearly a genius on that end of the floor, but if it really was all about winning for him, he would take a discount with the Knicks or go to Chicago.

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• jeffx
                  • Jun 2009

...but if it really was all about winning for him, he would take a discount with the Knicks or go to Chicago.
                  this. That max contract is a typical bonehead Knicks move.

Knicks are still a bottom seed in the east.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
                    True Blue
                    • Feb 2009

it might not be a max contract after all

Comment

• ralaw
                      Posts too much
                      • Feb 2009

At this point he pretty much has to go back to NY. If Melo were smart he'd sign a short deal and keep the pressure on Jackson/Dolan.

Comment

• dave
                        Go the fuck outside
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ralaw
                        At this point he pretty much has to go back to NY. If Melo were smart he'd sign a short deal and keep the pressure on Jackson/Dolan.
                        If he was all about winning, he'd take the Dirk Nowitzki discount, but of course it really isn't all about winning. I have never been a Carmelo Anthony guy. Big time isolation player who could never win a championship because his personal stats are more important than winning. Again, I point to the Jeremy Lin. Instead of thinking "Geez ... maybe this guy could be a good second banana" he immediately threw him under the bus. And, now, with this deal, he doesn't take a Nowitzki discount, he just says he heart was always with the Knicks. Yeah, right.

Don't get me wrong, I get wanting your money. And, frankly, he's a top-5 player in the NBA - he deserves his money. But don't say you're all about winning when you're not. Dirk Nowitzki is all about winning, Carmelo Anthony is ok making max salary on a lousy team with no chance of winning. And say what you will about Miami's Big 3 ... all those guys took pay cuts to make that work. And Bosh went from a 24-10 guy to what he is now.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                          Giants in the Super Bowl
                          • Mar 2009

If he was all about winning, he'd take the Dirk Nowitzki discount, but of course it really isn't all about winning. I have never been a Carmelo Anthony guy. Big time isolation player who could never win a championship because his personal stats are more important than winning. Again, I point to the Jeremy Lin. Instead of thinking "Geez ... maybe this guy could be a good second banana" he immediately threw him under the bus. And, now, with this deal, he doesn't take a Nowitzki discount, he just says he heart was always with the Knicks. Yeah, right.

Don't get me wrong, I get wanting your money. And, frankly, he's a top-5 player in the NBA - he deserves his money. But don't say you're all about winning when you're not. Dirk Nowitzki is all about winning, Carmelo Anthony is ok making max salary on a lousy team with no chance of winning. And say what you will about Miami's Big 3 ... all those guys took pay cuts to make that work. And Bosh went from a 24-10 guy to what he is now.
                          His personal stats are most important? Did you ever hear those words from Melo's mouth? Between Denver & his time in NY, he''s always been THE guy on his teams. You think the past few years between D'Antoni & Woodson, Melo was told he needs to get the ball to JR, Shumpert and Felton? No, he's the guy the offense is always built around. Now, in NY, with the triangle, this is the biggest test to see whether he's able to find the success that guys like MJ and Kobe had (not talking championships, just offensively).

Again, if the Knicks owner wanted Lin, he would have paid him. He was pissed at him, regardless of Melo's personal feelings, so you cannot dump that on him. Besides, the reason they should have kept Lin has nothing to do with whether he would have been a great player for them (he's not better in '12-'13 than Felton was), but keeping him so you have an asset to use right now. Besides, right now, Melo is going to be playing with the best PG he's ever had aside from Billups in Calderon.

Also, Melo is taking a few million less than the max. Jackson essentially asked if he'd take less early in the deal and he reportedly did.

As for what happened in Miami, that was a unique situation. Now that it's over with, LBJ went and got max dollars from Cleveland (and he'll also have the chance to get even more money when the cap increases in 2 years), Bosh stayed and got max dollars from Miami....avoiding a chance to play on a potential western conference favorite team because his family loves Miami and he's buddies with Wade. Does that mean Bosh doesn't give a shit about winning anymore? Hell no.

Comment

• dave
                            Go the fuck outside
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                            His personal stats are most important? Did you ever hear those words from Melo's mouth? Between Denver & his time in NY, he''s always been THE guy on his teams. You think the past few years between D'Antoni & Woodson, Melo was told he needs to get the ball to JR, Shumpert and Felton? No, he's the guy the offense is always built around. Now, in NY, with the triangle, this is the biggest test to see whether he's able to find the success that guys like MJ and Kobe had (not talking championships, just offensively).

Again, if the Knicks owner wanted Lin, he would have paid him. He was pissed at him, regardless of Melo's personal feelings, so you cannot dump that on him. Besides, the reason they should have kept Lin has nothing to do with whether he would have been a great player for them (he's not better in '12-'13 than Felton was), but keeping him so you have an asset to use right now. Besides, right now, Melo is going to be playing with the best PG he's ever had aside from Billups in Calderon.

Also, Melo is taking a few million less than the max. Jackson essentially asked if he'd take less early in the deal and he reportedly did.

As for what happened in Miami, that was a unique situation. Now that it's over with, LBJ went and got max dollars from Cleveland (and he'll also have the chance to get even more money when the cap increases in 2 years), Bosh stayed and got max dollars from Miami....avoiding a chance to play on a potential western conference favorite team because his family loves Miami and he's buddies with Wade. Does that mean Bosh doesn't give a shit about winning anymore? Hell no.
                            I get that you're a Knicks' fan ... but Melo taking a few less bucks is less than Nowitzki taking 5 million fewer than Chandler freakin' Parsons. Nowitzki is truly sacrificing for the good of the team.
                            Anthony can afford to do the same, but simply won't.

I guarantee this - Carmelo Anthony will NEVER win an NBA title, but could have if he had joined Chicago.

And Phil Jackson spreading the word about financial sacrifice in New York while taking $12M a year from the Knicks. Really?

Phil Jackson deserves respect, I have no issue with that, but he's a hypocrite for asking Anthony or any player to take a pay cut while he gets $12M a year for his suspect role on the Knicks.

Comment

• SethMode
                              Master of Mysticism
                              • Feb 2009

Isn't it possible that Carmelo also wanted the opportunity to play under Jackson (in whatever capacity), didn't want to move, and at the same time still felt that he was worth the money? There is a lot of presumption getting slung around here (what a shock too, it's mostly by Dave).

Comment

Working...