Clear All
  • jeffx
    • Jun 2009

Donte Stallworth Suspended Full Season

Bravo, commissioner!!!
  • JeremyHight
    I wish I was Scrubs
    • Feb 2009

Waiting to hear people say how he served his time and should be free to come back immediately like they did Vick.

Comment

• jeffx
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by JeremyHight
      Waiting to hear people say how he served his time and should be free to come back immediately like they did Vick.
      Well, both served their time(to society), but that doesn't mean Goodell has to let them back in immediately.

Comment

• NAHSTE
        Probably owns the site
        • Feb 2009

A little excessive IMO. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do if you're the Commishtator.
        Last edited by NAHSTE; 08-13-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• SHOGUN
          4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
          • Jul 2009

Good move by the commish.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• ralaw
            Posts too much
            • Feb 2009

I watched the Stallworth interview and it really seemed like Stallworth although drunk wasn't sole responsible for this accident, however, Stallworth was drunk and killed a man nonetheless. IMO given the circumstances around this case a one year suspension is fair.

Comment

• NAHSTE
              Probably owns the site
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by L337fleming
              I felt this was a little too excessive.

I will give Stallworth all the credit in the world though for owning up and taking responsibility for his mistake. Refreshing to see an athlete do that instead of trying to appeal everything.
              Yea he put himself in a bad situation (DUI) that turned into an even worse situation, I think he's handling it as best he can. The same thing happened to a dude I work with the other morning, he said a guy just walked right in front of his car on a major street at like 6 AM, and he stopped within inches of hitting the guy apparently.

This is something that could happen to nearly anyone, drunk or not.

Comment

• Senser81
                VSN Poster of the Year
                • Feb 2009

What Roger Goodell has done with not allowing Donte Stallworth to play right away has destroyed any goodwill the players union and he had. When the personal conduct policy was written with the help of Gene Upsahw and the players they wanted to clean up the game. By allowing the commissioner to suspend people for 'integrity of the game' issues they gave him ultimate power. Up until now he has not abused this. He has suspended such great upstanding players as Adam 'Pacman' Jones, and Chris Henry. legal issues resolved or not, those guys got what they deserved.

Stallworth's situation is completely different from Pacman and Chris Henry. Yes, he did horrible unspeakable things. Yes, he is a piece of shit and deserves to be stripped of all his means to do those horrid acts. But guess what? Stallworth spent 30 days in a federal prison, not county jail people, actual butt rape prison. He most likely will never get another endorsement deal as long as he lives. The law decided he was guilty and the law punished him. Now that his prison sentence has been served and the legal system is satisfied, he can attempt to move on right? Wrong.

Goodell, under the guise of what he says is right for Donte Stallworth, has deemed it necessary to pile on. Whether good 'ol Roger is personally butt hurt or he is just out to prove he is bigger than the U.S. legal system, commissioner Goodell has basically suspended Donte for 16 games. In doing so he has guaranteed that even less teams than before will want to even look at Stallworth.

This is what can happen when absolute power is given to one man with no checks and balances. The intent of the players and Mr. Upshaw was not to have Rodger become this all powerful czar with ultimate control over players. The idea was that these young knuckle heads were running around acting like morons and making the NFL look bad. The point was to clean up the image, to let people know that even these newly minted millionaires had to answer to someone. Now, the plan has backfired. Goodell in his infinite wisdom has made him and the league look heartless and petty. The attempt by the commissioner to save face has not only back fired with the public, but has raised a thousand other issues and in time when the collective bargaining agreement is to be renegotiated, this could spell trouble for the league on a much higher level than just public relations. If you add in the implication that Goodell is a white man presiding over a mostly black constituency you have the potential for a situation that could make the baseball strike look like a beer between friends. This whole thing smacks of a personal hurt being avenged by Goodell.

I am not saying that what Stallworth did was OK or that since he served his time is it gone and forgotten. He will forever be known as a man who killed. He could get back in the NFL and put up numbers that make Randy Moss look like Marty Booker, but at his hall of fame induction there will still be people protesting over the killing. All that being said, Donte has paid his debt to society. He has served his time. He still has a long way to go to get back to within sniffing distance of where he once was, but he deserves the chance to get a shot at it, without the commissioner telling him what is best for him now. The league could have just given him a zero tolerance, they could have said 'If you even spit on the sidewalk your done' and that would have been fine. The league gets to stay tough and Stallworth gets to make it or not on his own. Instead Goodell has chosen to flex his muscle, and in doing so he may have doomed the NFL to a fate much worse than a PR nightmare he was hoping to avoid.
                Last edited by Senser81; 08-13-2009, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• RainboUnicorn
                  No Homo
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Senser81
                  What Roger Goodell has done with not allowing Donte Stallworth to play right away has destroyed any goodwill the players union and he had. When the personal conduct policy was written with the help of Gene Upsahw and the players they wanted to clean up the game. By allowing the commissioner to suspend people for 'integrity of the game' issues they gave him ultimate power. Up until now he has not abused this. He has suspended such great upstanding players as Adam 'Pacman' Jones, and Chris Henry. legal issues resolved or not, those guys got what they deserved.

Stallworth's situation is completely different from Pacman and Chris Henry. Yes, he did horrible unspeakable things. Yes, he is a piece of shit and deserves to be stripped of all his means to do those horrid acts. But guess what? Stallworth spent 30 days in a federal prison, not county jail people, actual butt rape prison. He most likely will never get another endorsement deal as long as he lives. The law decided he was guilty and the law punished him. Now that his prison sentence has been served and the legal system is satisfied, he can attempt to move on right? Wrong.

Goodell, under the guise of what he says is right for Donte Stallworth, has deemed it necessary to pile on. Whether good 'ol Roger is personally butt hurt or he is just out to prove he is bigger than the U.S. legal system, commissioner Goodell has basically suspended Donte for 16 games. In doing so he has guaranteed that even less teams than before will want to even look at Stallworth.

This is what can happen when absolute power is given to one man with no checks and balances. The intent of the players and Mr. Upshaw was not to have Rodger become this all powerful czar with ultimate control over players. The idea was that these young knuckle heads were running around acting like morons and making the NFL look bad. The point was to clean up the image, to let people know that even these newly minted millionaires had to answer to someone. Now, the plan has backfired. Goodell in his infinite wisdom has made him and the league look heartless and petty. The attempt by the commissioner to save face has not only back fired with the public, but has raised a thousand other issues and in time when the collective bargaining agreement is to be renegotiated, this could spell trouble for the league on a much higher level than just public relations. If you add in the implication that Goodell is a white man presiding over a mostly black constituency you have the potential for a situation that could make the baseball strike look like a beer between friends. This whole thing smacks of a personal hurt being avenged by Goodell.

I am not saying that what Stallworth did was OK or that since he served his time is it gone and forgotten. He will forever be known as a man who killed. He could get back in the NFL and put up numbers that make Randy Moss look like Marty Booker, but at his hall of fame induction there will still be people protesting over the killing. All that being said, Donte has paid his debt to society. He has served his time. He still has a long way to go to get back to within sniffing distance of where he once was, but he deserves the chance to get a shot at it, without the commissioner telling him what is best for him now. The league could have just given him a zero tolerance, they could have said 'If you even spit on the sidewalk your done' and that would have been fine. The league gets to stay tough and Stallworth gets to make it or not on his own. Instead Goodell has chosen to flex his muscle, and in doing so he may have doomed the NFL to a fate much worse than a PR nightmare he was hoping to avoid.
                  That is a little harsh. The guy ran out in front of his car. It could have happened if he was sober. I know getting behind the wheel drunk is never okay but there are some, very very few, circumstances like this one when it's not entirely the drunk drivers fault. This is exactly why he only got 30 days and the family of the killed man thought that it was fair.

Comment

• Senser81
                    VSN Poster of the Year
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by RainboUnicorn
                    That is a little harsh. The guy ran out in front of his car. It could have happened if he was sober. I know getting behind the wheel drunk is never okay but there are some, very very few, circumstances like this one when it's not entirely the drunk drivers fault. This is exactly why he only got 30 days and the family of the killed man thought that it was fair.
                    this is more about perception than anything else. even if i agreed that the 16 weeks is ok, which i kind of do, my point was that goodell is acting heavy handed in this matter. Stallworth cannot speak up for himslef in this and is very smart not to. adding together the way goodell has just metted out punishment at will and the new collective bargaining agreement on teh horizon, the better pr move for goodell would have a no tolerence policy and let the dude play ball. which may not ever happen anayws. the truth is all this is moot until a team actaully shows interest in Stallworth, and we are still waiting for that.

Comment

• ralaw
                      Posts too much
                      • Feb 2009

it was an opinion piece... there is no right or wrong. thats the point

Comment

• RainboUnicorn
                        No Homo
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ralaw
                        it was an opinion piece... there is no right or wrong. thats the point
                        Then I gave my opinion.

Comment

• RainboUnicorn
                          No Homo
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Senser81
                          this is more about perception than anything else. even if i agreed that the 16 weeks is ok, which i kind of do, my point was that goodell is acting heavy handed in this matter. Stallworth cannot speak up for himslef in this and is very smart not to. adding together the way goodell has just metted out punishment at will and the new collective bargaining agreement on teh horizon, the better pr move for goodell would have a no tolerence policy and let the dude play ball. which may not ever happen anayws. the truth is all this is moot until a team actaully shows interest in Stallworth, and we are still waiting for that.
                          I don't think anybody will show interest until next offseason if he is suspended all year.

Comment

• Senser81
                            VSN Poster of the Year
                            • Feb 2009

I don't think anybody will show interest until next offseason if he is suspended all year.
                            dammit man you are dense. i see now your thing is to attempt to bring lulz or insult someone. ok we got it, ha fucking ha. it was brilliant... when dennis miller did it. now go away, my dick has had enough sucking for one day, i will come and get you when i am in need a of a cum dumpster again.

Comment

• Senser81
                              VSN Poster of the Year
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by L337fleming
                              It seems that Goodell has lately become a heavy handed commish just bringing down the hammer on any one and every one. I know he has run into a few big issues: Vick, Pac-Man, Tank Johnson, Donte Stallworth, and Marshawn Lynch.

Out of all of those guys I can honestly say only two have actually owned up. One is Tank Johnson who seems to have had his act straightened out as far as I know. The other? Donte Stallworth who is being a man and owning up. I know what he did is horrible and blah blah blah huge human tragedy.

Let's be honest here though he was a man and took the consequences this is the model the NFL wants. A man who is willing to own up when he screws up. Remember Farve and his Painkiller thing? How about MLB with Josh Hamilton? They are all human but if they own up I am way more forgiving of them and willing to accept them back.

Little scattered brain but I am still trying to figure out things here
                              and since mr L337fleming was so eager for an e-fight about race, lets get back to the topic at hand. the really sad fact is that if the asshole wasnt such a retard he would have read the article.

now before you go proving that you are a card carrying member of the KKK, be sure to read the context (you can look that word up here) of what it says. thanks in advance for proving you are truly a moron, signed your friend senser.

Comment

Working...