X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Esjay
    Luck2Hilton
    • Feb 2009

Steelers' Ward NFL's Dirtiest Player

Hines Ward is the dirtiest player in the NFL, according to a Sports Illustrated poll of 296 players released this week.

The Steelers' wide receiver, long considered the league's best blocking wide receiver, received 11.6 percent of the vote. He was followed by Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (6.0), Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter (6.0), Bengals safety Roy Williams (5.1) and Titans center Kevin Mawae (4.6). Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan (4.2), Rams guard Richie Incognito (3.7), Falcons guard Harvey Dahl (3.7), Steelers safety Troy Polamalu (3.7) and Vikings defensive end Jared Allen (3.2) rounded out the top 10.

Ward, 33, has a long history of physical play. Last October, he was fined $15,000 for hits in back-to-back weeks that weren't penalized during the game. Later that month, Ward broke the jaw of Bengals rookie linebacker Keith Rivers with a surprise downfield block. The hit, which ended Rivers' season, did not draw a flag. "That's what he's known for," Bengals safety Chinedum Ndukwe said. "He's a blind-side guy."

Discussing his reputation with SI last year, Ward said, "It's hard to sit there and tell everybody it's a violent sport but tone it down a little. When I go across the middle, those guys aren't going to tackle me softly and lay me down to the ground. That's not football. I find it ironic that now you see a receiver delivering blows, and it's an issue. But I haven't changed. I've been doing it this way for 11 years."

The poll was conducted in September and included some well-known names in the top 20: Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis (3.2 percent), Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman (2.3 percent) and Jets linebacker Bart Scott (2.3 percent). Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, who retired last summer, received three votes.

The Broncos' Brandon Marshall, the only other receiver listed in the poll, received one vote. No running backs were selected, but one quarterback did get a vote: the Titans' Vince Young.

I love the way Ward plays the game FWIW. I only posted this because of Rodney Harrison getting 3 votes. LOL @ being so dirty you still get votes after you retire.
  • KillaK
    Dreams!
    • Jun 2009

The league needs more guys like this. Always a smile on his face, even when hes pwning you.

Comment

• Tailback U
      No substitute 4 strength.
      • Nov 2008

The Steelers' wide receiver, long considered the league's best blocking wide receiver, received 11.6 percent of the vote. He was followed by Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (6.0), Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter (6.0), Bengals safety Roy Williams (5.1) and Titans center Kevin Mawae (4.6). Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan (4.2), Rams guard Richie Incognito (3.7), Falcons guard Harvey Dahl (3.7), Steelers safety Troy Polamalu (3.7) and Vikings defensive end Jared Allen (3.2) rounded out the top 10.
      How I dream of having any of those guys on the Raiders.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
        • Feb 2009

NFL has a sad state of affairs ((or a overly clean one)) if those guys are considered dirty.

Cant say Im familiar with the 2 guards mentioned but none of the others are anything to what I would call dirty. Haynesworth can get that title for life for the stomping thing I guess.

Deacon Jones , Erik Williams , and Bill Romanowski are probably giggling there asses off at this list.
        Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Esjay
          Luck2Hilton
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
          NFL has a sad state of affairs ((or a overly clean one)) if those guys are considered dirty.

Cant say Im familiar with the 2 guards mentioned but none of the others are anything to what I would call dirty. Haynesworth can get that title for life for the stomping thing I guess.

Deacon Jones , Erik Williams , and Bill Romanowski are probably giggling there asses off at this list.
          Agreed. Incognito I remember being a lunatic in college. That's about it, haven't really seen anything from him in the pros. Joey Porter is dirty how though? He talks a lot of shit, that's about it. Cortland Finnegan is just a scrappy player, the kind of guy you want on your team.

Comment

• Cryolemon
            English Dolphins Fan
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KillaK
            The league needs more guys like this. Always a smile on his face, even when hes pwning you.
            I agree. Even if he is a dirty player, he plays hard and is good. V.Young got the vote for the stamping thing while he was at Texas.

Comment

• SethMode
              Master of Mysticism
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Esjay
              Joey Porter is dirty how though? He talks a lot of shit, that's about it.
              I think that stems from that Steelers/Ravens game, when Heap sort of lined up slowly for a play that I think, because he was hurt. The play ran and Porter knocked him down because it was a live play. Everyone thought Porter should have gone easy on Heap, even though Porter had know way of knowing if Heap was faking or not.

Found this online from the Sun, but couldn't get the actual article to work:

Almost everybody on the Ravens seemed upset by Joey Porter's questionable knockdown of a hurting Todd Heap during the team's 30-13 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers yesterday.

Ray Lewis did not want to talk about Porter at all, then added he would pray for him. And Chris McAlister used profanity during his news conference to describe what kind of person he thinks Porter is.

"Porter is an [expletive]," McAlister said. "That's the bottom line. There's no reason for anyone to take a cheap shot like that."

Said Lewis: "It just shows what type of character that guy has."
              LOL at the Ravens calling anyone dirty...or even better, RAY LEWIS calling out someone's character.
              Last edited by SethMode; 11-04-2009, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Senser81
                VSN Poster of the Year
                • Feb 2009

No votes for Brett Favre?

Comment

• Woy
                  RIP West
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Tailback U
                  How I dream of having any of those guys on the Raiders.
                  None of those guys could play quarterback.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• jeffx
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                    Not to mention Jack Tatum and Conrad Dobler.

Comment

• Derrville
                      Dallas has no coaching...
                      • Jul 2009

Where's white trash Steel Jake to defend his boy?

Comment

• Bear Pand
                        RIP Indy Colts
                        • Feb 2009

How has that clown Brandon Merriweather not been mentioned yet? He's good for a personal foul a game.

Comment

• Vinsane
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Senser81
                          No votes for Brett Favre?
                          On the field, not off.
                          25-02, 23:16 Yawkey Way celtics fucking suck

Comment

• IamMedellin
                            Everything Burns...
                            • Nov 2008

Comment

• Sportsbuck
                              Buckeye For Life
                              • Dec 2008

This just shows how much of a pussy league the NFL has become.

Ward's blindside cracks on the linebackers and safeties are what every receiver dreams of and are simply a part of the game.

I guess every linebacker and safety that has ever hit a receiver over the middle should be considered dirty as well based on this criteria.

Comment

Working...