• Show
Clear All
  • KINGOFOOTBALL
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Aso21Raiders
    Ronnie Lott is the greatest defensive player ever

/thread
    oh boy...did you say something ?

I couldnt hear that over the sound of me fucking your mom.

Lott best DB ever. But he was not the CB Deion/Woodson were.
    Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Primetime
      Thank You Prince
      • Nov 2008

Primetime

:smug2:

Comment

• Fox1994
        Posts too much
        • Dec 2008

Hard for me to pick because they're both such amazing players. Rod had more picks, but people were afraid to throw at Deion. They played in different types of defenses, and were both such different players.

Comment

• Aso
          The Serious House
          • Nov 2008

I'm sick of this 'people were afraid to throw at Deion' talk. He got a lot of interceptions, if they were afraid to throw at him then he wouldn't of gotten nearly as much. I watched a game from 1995 I believe which was Cowboys vs Chiefs and with Steve Bono at QB and Lake Dawson and Willie Davis at WR they were constantly throwing at Deion. Through three quarters they had throw at him about six times (only one was a completion). Deion was great but people weren't 'afraid' to throw at him.

Comment

• biggamejrs
            • Mar 2009

Deion was amazing. He is #1 of my era.

Comment

• Rayman
              Spic 'n Spanish
              • Feb 2009

In the book "dark side of the game" Tim Green tells a story about Deion and Jerry Rice. In a nutshell Rice welcomed Deion but QUICKLY built a huge amount of animosity because of the attention he was drawing. The practices very early on reached a boiling point when Deion, sensing Rice giving him the cold shoulder, began toying with Jerry Rice in practice. Baiting Young over and over into thinking Jerry was open then picking off or batting down the ball on a routine basis.
              Rice felt that Deion was trying to show him up. He was right.
              Evidently this won over alot of guys in the locker room and led to Watters/Floyd/Deion being a hell of alot more vocal and animated because of it.
              Never heard this before, but the story makes a lot of sense. Those two had some animosity by the time Deion signed with Dallas the next year.

I remember Rice making a comment that "We didn't need no motherfuckin' Deion Sanders to win the Super Bowl."

Comment

• Aso
                The Serious House
                • Nov 2008

Haha, that makes Deion sound like such a douche.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                  • Feb 2009

I'm sick of this 'people were afraid to throw at Deion' talk. He got a lot of interceptions, if they were afraid to throw at him then he wouldn't of gotten nearly as much. I watched a game from 1995 I believe which was Cowboys vs Chiefs and with Steve Bono at QB and Lake Dawson and Willie Davis at WR they were constantly throwing at Deion. Through three quarters they had throw at him about six times (only one was a completion). Deion was great but people weren't 'afraid' to throw at him.

That was the Thanksgiving game Irvin raped that secondary.:laugh:
                  There were plenty of teams that would throw his way.But far more often than not he would make them pay. There would be 2-3 game stretches where Deion would see only a pass or 2 per game. Thats unheard of today.

"Good" cornerbacks allow 45-60% completion percentages on passes thrown to them.
                  Revis last year who IMO had the best season any defenders had this decade allowed 39%.

Deion and Woodson both were in the low 20s during there DMVP seasons.

Originally posted by Rod Woodson
                  Hard for me to pick because they're both such amazing players. Rod had more picks, but people were afraid to throw at Deion. They played in different types of defenses, and were both such different players.

Both could be plugged into any pre '04 defense anywhere and be HOFers all over again.
                  Deion was faster..Woodson would hit you a hell of alot harder. But on any given pass play there wasnt much difference in style or play. Either way your pass was hitting the ground.

Originally posted by RayManHCP42
                  Never heard this before, but the story makes a lot of sense. Those two had some animosity by the time Deion signed with Dallas the next year.

I remember Rice making a comment that "We didn't need no motherfuckin' Deion Sanders to win the Super Bowl."
                  Yeah I cant find the book , Im looking for a cheap Ebook version to DL. Lots of good stories in there.

Funny thing about Rice. In 94 he felt Deion was trying to overshadow him and Deion got much of the pub that year.
                  After TOs miracle playoff catch Rice was seen pouting on the sideline.
                  On "Jerry Rice" day Owens breaks the single game record for receptions.
                  On HOF weekend unexplicably Emmitt gets most of the pub and the headlines after his speech.

I dont know what any of that means but I find it funny.
                  Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Aso
                    The Serious House
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                    That was the Thanksgiving game Irvin raped that secondary.:laugh:
                    There were plenty of teams that would throw his way.But far more often than not he would make them pay. There would be 2-3 game stretches where Deion would see only a pass or 2 per game. Thats unheard of today.

"Good" cornerbacks allow 45-60% completion percentages on passes thrown to them.
                    Revis last year who IMO had the best season any defenders had this decade allowed 39%.

Deion and Woodson both were in the low 20s during there DMVP seasons.
                    Yeah I agree with everything you said.

Although I don't think a pass or 2 per game is unheard of today. Teams avoid Nnamdi Asomugha like the plague. He saw only 28 passes his way last season but I see you're point.

Comment

• Diivox
                      It's the other way.
                      • Apr 2009

I loved that story about Deion and Rice. excellent post. From what i've heard, TO got alot of his primadonna act from Rice, who would demand the ball in a very douchetastic way in san francisco. that legendary work ethic of his made him quite a prick. i think that if Rice played today, in the age of twitter and profootballtalk and cell phone video cameras, people would really dislike him.

Comment

• Fox1994
                        Posts too much
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Diivox
                        I loved that story about Deion and Rice. excellent post. From what i've heard, TO got alot of his primadonna act from Rice, who would demand the ball in a very douchetastic way in san francisco. that legendary work ethic of his made him quite a prick. i think that if Rice played today, in the age of twitter and profootballtalk and cell phone video cameras, people would really dislike him.
                        From what I've heard, he also tried to piss on Deion's dance party (in the endzone) parade.

Comment

• Aso
                          The Serious House
                          • Nov 2008

I never thought Jerry was that kind of player. I always envisioned him as an amazing team player that always kept quite (except for when he wanted the ball) and was an all around great locker room guy. This is eye opening.

Comment

• Fox1994
                            Posts too much
                            • Dec 2008

I never thought Jerry was that kind of player. I always envisioned him as an amazing team player that always kept quite (except for when he wanted the ball) and was an all around great locker room guy. This is eye opening.
                            Every player is that type of player... Or so it seems these days.

And when you lock down a whole side of a field, people fear throwing your way.

Comment

• Aso
                              The Serious House
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Fox1994
                              Every player is that type of player... Or so it seems these days.

And when you lock down a whole side of a field, people fear throwing your way.
                              It really is starting to seem that way.

Ok first lets stop with the lock down a whole side of the field stuff. There's five eligible receivers each play, he can shut down only one of them. He also wasn't incredibly feared like everyone says. He was good but people did try and throw at him as dumb as that may be or sound. He was a great player, I'm not denying that at all. Just being real.

Comment

• Fox1994
                                Posts too much
                                • Dec 2008

It really is starting to seem that way.

Ok first lets stop with the lock down a whole side of the field stuff. There's five eligible receivers each play, he can shut down only one of them. He also wasn't incredibly feared like everyone says. He was good but people did try and throw at him as dumb as that may be or sound. He was a great player, I'm not denying that at all. Just being real.
                                Haha. Touche.

Comment

Working...