X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Macken
    Blah
    • Oct 2008

Husain Abdullah to go without Food or Water

NFL practices this time of year are designed for maximum sweat production. Coaches are trying to build up stamina and endurance. Players push themselves to the limit, in pursuit of jobs and starting spots. It's also really, really hot.

And starting on Aug. 11, the beginning of the Islamic month of Ramadan, Minnesota Vikings safety Husain Abdullah(notes) will be going through these practices without the benefit of water. Or food. Or any other kind of hydration.

During Ramadan, observing Muslims like Abdullah will fast for 30 days; eating or drinking nothing while the sun is out. Food and drink are permitted after dark and before sunrise, but during the day, there's nada -- not a tiny little sip of water, or the smallest release of Powerade's mystic mountain blueberry. From the AP:

Even while sprinting in the heat and humidity during drills, sometimes in full pads, Abdullah is adamant about his faith. He will not allow himself so much as a cup of water until the sun sets and before it rises.

“I’m putting nothing before God, nothing before my religion,” Abdullah said. “This is something I choose to do, not something I have to do. So I’m always going to fast.”

[Photo: Tim Tebow's rookie hazing results in outrageous new haircut]

Abdullah's worked with the team's nutritionist on a way to keep himself healthy through Ramadan with a couple of big meals when it's dark, and a protein shake in the middle of the night. Of course, they know better than I do, but I think about these intense workouts in 90-degree heat, and as soon as I even imagine doing it without water, my kidneys start to shut down.

"Last year it occurred in early September, and we saw a dip in his performance," coach Brad Childress said. "We said, 'What's wrong with Husain Abdullah? It doesn't seem like he has enough spunk.

"I think we have our arms around it now and know when he is going to wake up and when he is going to eat and what we can pack on him before the sun comes up."

I'm in awe of his commitment, and I'm glad he is doing what feels right. That said, I ask him to please, please be as careful as he goes through this. We've seen way too many times that heat-related illnesses are real, extreme and unforgiving dangers.
    that is just crazy
  • killgod
    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
    • Oct 2008

One side me thinks, I hope he drops dead to show the world yet another example of blind stupidity and religion.

The other side of me laughs at the thought.

Comment

• Chadman
      I Am Willie Beamen
      • Oct 2008

god? why did he just say allah. I never heard a muslim refer to their god as...well...god.

Comment

• Dan The Man
        Dip My Balls In It
        • Mar 2009

Korey Stringer thinks this is a bad idea.

Comment

• Macken
          Blah
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Dan The Man
          Korey Stringer thinks this is a bad idea.
          funny but wrong is soo many ways

Comment

• bucky
            #50? WTF?
            • Feb 2009

He's just trying to get the coaches to ease up on him in practice and using religion to do it.

The guys sees Favre being successful doing the same things using retirement and injury, so he figures, why not use religion.

Comment

• NAHSTE
              Probably owns the site
              • Feb 2009

You mean fasting?

Comment

• Miami Flash15
                The Jets Suck
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Chadman
                god? why did he just say allah. I never heard a muslim refer to their god as...well...god.
                Muslim's god is the same god as everyone believes in. I think he said it on purpose, I don't think he would say Allah in an ESPN interview.

In regard to that, wow, that's ridiculous and isn't safe, at all. It'll be interesting to see what happens because that is a huge risk.

Comment

• Blade
                  Walking SAM site
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Chadman
                  God is Allah, Allah is God - I think it says something similar to that in the Koran from what I can remember when I read it years ago.

I can respect this. The man believes and follows his beliefs w/o a detriment to his team. Good luck to him.

Comment

• ralaw
                    Posts too much
                    • Feb 2009

I'm wondering if some of you actually read the article. Abdullah did this last year on his own and this year the team is going to support him with the team's nutritionist, so I don't see the issue.

I agree with Blade....he should be applauded for holding true to his convictions and if he has the mental and physical toughness to stay true to his beliefs than more power to him.

Comment

• St. Francisco
                      45-35 Never Forget
                      • Feb 2009

Yawn...hit me up when he collapses and dies on the field, then I'll be intrigued.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                        Probably owns the site
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
                        I'm wondering if some of you actually read the article. Abdullah did this last year on his own and this year the team is going to support him with the team's nutritionist, so I don't see the issue.

I agree with Blade....he should be applauded for holding true to his convictions and if he has the mental and physical toughness to stay true to his beliefs than more power to him.
                        He's also not the first athlete to do this. Hakeem fasted every season. Non-story IMO. I had to LOL at the headline though, as if we wouldn't know what they were talking about if they just used the word "fast".

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                          Beautiful Like Moses
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BobSmuggins
                          He's also not the first athlete to do this. Hakeem fasted every season. Non-story IMO. I had to LOL at the headline though, as if we wouldn't know what they were talking about if they just used the word "fast".
                          Hakeem never had to go through the practices these guys do in the sun tho.

This shit is dangerous and id hope that the nutritionists and trainers would recommend he do NOT do this. Dehydration aint a game son.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

"Dats a bad idea, Husain...I wouldn't suggest it...I tried it once, didn't work out so well"

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                              Beautiful Like Moses
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ralaw

The article also stated that his performance dropped during that time, just saying..

And are you going to applaud dude if he ends up dropping like a fly in practice because of this?

Comment

Working...