X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

NFL Rules that MUST change

-This trend that started a few years ago of calling a timeout fractions of a second before the snap on a FG attempt has got to be stopped. It's bush league, and ruins the integrity of the game. The fix is easy - no timeouts permitted within the last :08 of the playclock on FG attempts.

-When people bitch about the ungodly amount of roughing the passer calls, I usually defend the league, because I see where they are coming from when it comes to protecting the QB's. It's a star driven business, and the stars are the QB's (and the head coaches to some extent), so they must be protected. While oftentimes somewhat cheap, I have very little issue with the automatic penalties for contact to the QB's helmet, either helmet-to-helmet, or hand/arm to helmet.

But what drives me nuts, is the ticky tack calls when the QB gets shoved a split second after releasing the ball, of the classic "driving the QB into the ground" call, where the defenders momentum is already established, and in some cases probably doesnt even know the ball has been released.

Look, i'm not advocating bringing back the 1970's and allowing these guys to maul each other on the field. But the league really needs to allow the refs to use judgement on some of these roughing calls. If there is no malice intended, there should be no flag. There would still be some bad calls, but it would eliminate awful calls like we had yesterday...like where the Rams Fred Robbins lightly shoved Bruce Gradkowski on the back, and Gradkowski flopped like he got shot in the back with a shotgun. Or the call in OT on the Redskins, where the DT's momentum took him towrds the downed Matt Schaub, and despite trying to pull up and avoid hard contact, grazed Schaubs' shoulder pad with his helmet. Neither instance was intended malice, and they were cheap, game changing penalties. Maybe even a 5-yard, non-personal foul late hit can be added.

It's gotten to the point that when there is a sack or hit on the QB, I instinctively look up at the screen to see if the yellow flag pops up.
  • strahanfan92
    Meat
    • Aug 2009

-This trend that started a few years ago of calling a timeout fractions of a second before the snap on a FG attempt has got to be stopped. It's bush league, and ruins the integrity of the game. The fix is easy - no timeouts permitted within the last :08 of the playclock on FG attempts.
    Shanahan got beat by his own shanahanigans.

Comment

• Archer
      Go the fuck outside
      • Oct 2008

I think it was Suggs who got a terrible driving the QB into the ground call against the Bengals yesterday

I honestly have no idea what else he was supposed to do in that situation

Comment

• Senser81
        VSN Poster of the Year
        • Feb 2009

*Pass interference should be a straight 15-yard/automatic 1st down penalty. No more "spot of the foul" stuff, because the refs call pass interference way too frequently.

*Instant replay should be limited to scoring plays and change-of-possession plays. Instant replay should also have an official in the booth who makes the replay call, so we don't have to wait for Jeff Tripallete to saunter over to the peep show, then 7 minutes later that the Texans WR did indeed make the catch on that 3-yard hitch play.

*Get rid of the wordiness in the 'maintaining possession through the catch' bullshit. Allow the refs to use common sense.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
          *Get rid of the wordiness in the 'maintaining possession through the catch' bullshit. Allow the refs to use common sense.
          I was going to include this, but we had 19 threads last week while you were locked up, and shockingly enough, people were defending the idea that Calvin Johnson didn't make that catch.

I agree 100%. Common sense needs to implemented in both the above, and some of the roughing calls.

Comment

• EmpireWF
            Giants in the Super Bowl
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
            *Instant replay should be limited to scoring plays and change-of-possession plays. Instant replay should also have an official in the booth who makes the replay call, so we don't have to wait for Jeff Tripallete to saunter over to the peep show, then 7 minutes later that the Texans WR did indeed make the catch on that 3-yard hitch play.
            i lol'd

Comment

• Hasselbeck
              Jus' bout dat action boss
              • Feb 2009

Basically agree with all points here. Like the idea of PI being a 15 yard penalty. All too often, teams just heave a ball deep in hopes of drawing the flag or completing a miraculous pass on the defense.
              Originally posted by ram29jackson
              I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• Houston
                Back home
                • Oct 2008

I wish some coaches last year would've called timeouts on us right before Kris Brown missed his FG attempts. That rule can stay

Comment

• Woy
                  RIP West
                  • Dec 2008

Derrick Morgan got hit with one of those bullshit diving into the QB penalties in week one.

Could the NFL make up their mind on the roughing the passer penalty? Vince Young gets bodyslammed by three Steelers defenders yesterday and doesn't get a flag, but Haloti Ngata (? don't remember who it was because it was two years ago) slaps Kerry Collins in the head and gets a penalty. I wasn't screaming for a flag on the play yesterday, but I believe if it was a more high-profile QB, the flag's coming out.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• Houston
                    Back home
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Soulja Woy
                    Derrick Morgan got hit with one of those bullshit diving into the QB penalties in week one.

Could the NFL make up their mind on the roughing the passer penalty? Vince Young gets bodyslammed by three Steelers defenders yesterday and doesn't get a flag, but Haloti Ngata (? don't remember who it was because it was two years ago) slaps Kerry Collins in the head and gets a penalty. I wasn't screaming for a flag on the play yesterday, but I believe if it was a more high-profile QB, the flag's coming out.
                    Obviously racism seriously though god knows what would've happend had Tom Brady got hit like VY did yesterday. Atleast he took his like a man Brady would've got up looking for a ref to complain to.

I can't remember what game it was yesterday but some QB was calling for a flag before he even hit the ground Nice to see that's what football has come to.

Comment

• Bmore
                      The True Free-Man
                      • Oct 2008

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkQaI0cW2dw[/ame]

Comment

• Esjay
                        Luck2Hilton
                        • Feb 2009

Actually agree with Ray 100% on this one. I understand QB's need to be protected but it's been at a ridiculous point for awhile now.

And like Woy said, how did the Steelers NOT get flagged for roughing the QB? Young gets body slammed onto his head for fucks sake and no call? If that's Peyton or Brady the dude is ejected.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Houston
                          Obviously racism seriously though god knows what would've happend had Tom Brady got hit like VY did yesterday. Atleast he took his like a man Brady would've got up looking for a ref to complain to.

I can't remember what game it was yesterday but some QB was calling for a flag before he even hit the ground Nice to see that's what football has come to.
                          That was Romo yesterday against the Bears.

Funny part is he was complaing for a call for getting hit in the head...when he wasn't.

Comment

• Hasselbeck
                            Jus' bout dat action boss
                            • Feb 2009

Awesome clip.
                            Originally posted by ram29jackson
                            I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                              Posts too much
                              • Feb 2009

Yeah thats another thing that needs to stop is players constantly asking for flags. I think at least 50% of all incompletions the WR gets up and starts doing the flag motion. QBs do it now too where they look at the ref like asking for a call. That needs to stop. I think it should be a 5 yard penalty for making any type of gesture that wants the ref to make a call. It is very annoying to see guys who after the play are only concerned with trying to get a call.

Comment

Working...