Where do you rank Commissiotator Goodell?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NAHSTE
    Probably owns the site
    • Feb 2009

Where do you rank Commissiotator Goodell?

Compared to the other major American sports commissioners?

I started this discussion on facebook, essentially stating that I feel Goodell is overrated as a commish, and felt it was worth bringing the discussion over to VSN.

Here's the crux of my argument, ctrl+v'd from fbook:

"I hate his arbitrary and inconsistent punishments of players (accused of rape=4 games, hit your girlfriend=4 games....DUI=0 games?), I hate that he's expanding the season to 18 games (while pretending to care about safety), and I abso...lutely hate that he's still trying to push the International Series.

Selig is known to be a terrible commish, so it's hard to say he's overrated. As for Stern, considering where the NBA was when Stern inherited it, and where the NFL was when Commissioner/Dictator Goodell inherited it, I'll give the edge to Stern. He transformed his league from a nothing league in the 70s/80s to a viable international product. Meanwhile Tagliabue gave Roger a preexisting product that was already thriving, and he has meddled with it to mixed results.

Goodell is still better than Bettman or Selig, but I'd take Stern over him in a fantasy commissioner draft, due to Stern's vision and growth power. Roger inherited the NFL when it was at its strongest ever, and is on the verge of diminishing it."

My rankings.....

Stern
    Goodell

(HUGE, NOTICEABLE GAP)

Selig
    Bettman
  • NAHSTE
    Probably owns the site
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Paulie Walnuts
    Stern can die in a fire as far as I'm concerned after raping the city of Seattle. Douche bag.

.. I can't objectively rate Goodell until the CBA issues shake out. At the moment I'd put him at the top of the heap Commish-wise, but a work-stoppage in this financial climate will go over like a ton of bricks (as pathetic as it is to type that in relation to sports and REAL problems)

Curious how Selig will be remembered. The Wild Card was an overwhelming success, but the steroid era will live in infamy and is a huge black eye on a once proud sport.
    Understandable.

And Selig fucking blows as a commish. May he be remembered as a spinless twerp who nearly ran baseball into the ground.

- All-Star game ended in a tie on his watch
    - rampant cheating was allowed while he was an owner/commish, and all parties were complicit
    - attendance is in the shitter
    - light years behind NFL and NBA in online video
    - Absolutely no idea how to showcase young talent or market the game

The only good thing Selig did was the realignment of 1993, and he fucked it up with the overexpansion of 1999.

Comment

• Senser81
      VSN Poster of the Year
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Smuggle Shepard
      Compared to the other major American sports commissioners?

I started this discussion on facebook, essentially stating that I feel Goodell is overrated as a commish, and felt it was worth bringing the discussion over to VSN.

Here's the crux of my argument, ctrl+v'd from fbook:

"I hate his arbitrary and inconsistent punishments of players (accused of rape=4 games, hit your girlfriend=4 games....DUI=0 games?), I hate that he's expanding the season to 18 games (while pretending to care about safety), and I abso...lutely hate that he's still trying to push the International Series.

Selig is known to be a terrible commish, so it's hard to say he's overrated. As for Stern, considering where the NBA was when Stern inherited it, and where the NFL was when Commissioner/Dictator Goodell inherited it, I'll give the edge to Stern. He transformed his league from a nothing league in the 70s/80s to a viable international product. Meanwhile Tagliabue gave Roger a preexisting product that was already thriving, and he has meddled with it to mixed results.

Goodell is still better than Bettman or Selig, but I'd take Stern over him in a fantasy commissioner draft, due to Stern's vision and growth power. Roger inherited the NFL when it was at its strongest ever, and is on the verge of diminishing it."

My rankings.....

Stern
      Goodell

(HUGE, NOTICEABLE GAP)

Selig
      Bettman
      I always find it funny that the people who trumpet David Stern are also the ones downgrading Bud Selig, yet they are almost mirror images of each other.

Stern is a reprehensible human being, with the only person in the sports community even comparable to Stern's wretchedness being Tony Kornheiser. Stern stepped into a gold mine with the NBA flourishing on its own in the 80's, rode the coattails of Michael Jordan in the 90s, then made the NBA the most unwatchable, unstable, and corrupt sports league in America, whose college product trumps the NBA by a wide margin.

Comment

• NAHSTE
        Probably owns the site
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
        I always find it funny that the people who trumpet David Stern are also the ones downgrading Bud Selig, yet they are almost mirror images of each other.

Stern is a reprehensible human being, with the only person in the sports community even comparable to Stern's wretchedness being Tony Kornheiser. Stern stepped into a gold mine with the NBA flourishing on its own in the 80's, rode the coattails of Michael Jordan in the 90s, then made the NBA the most unwatchable, unstable, and corrupt sports league in America, whose college product trumps the NBA by a wide margin.
        Disagree with your last point, I find college ball rather dreadful lately, but this is a reasonable take.

I'm not absolving Stern, he's done some misdeeds and had some shady shit go down on his watch, but I just wanted to bash Roger Goodell a bit. I guess it's a lesser of two evils kind of thing with me. Stern runs his league like a dictator as well, but he doesn't pretend otherwise. Meanwhile Goodell talks out of both sides of his mouth.

Goodell yesterday: "Our primary concern is player safety."
        Goodell tomorrow: "We will play 2 more games to make more money."

Comment

• Senser81
          VSN Poster of the Year
          • Feb 2009

Yeah, Goodell is too much of a "loose cannon" for my taste. He can do whatever he wants with player suspensions and disciplinary issues, but the rule changes and now the possible 18-game schedule aren't good for the game, IMO.

Comment

• mgoblue2290
            Posts too much
            • Feb 2009

Goodell might just help end the NFL's popularity run. Not immediately but over the course of say 10 years or so.

Comment

• Maize
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mgoblue2290
              Goodell might just help end the NFL's popularity run. Not immediately but over the course of say 10 years or so.
              This is what I am worried about, it would be difficult to recover from a lockout of any sort.
              "Arrive, Raise Hell, Leave" | Kentucky Wildcats
              2014 Season: 11-2 (7-2)
              Next Game: Bowl Game

Comment

• Irish
                do you see my jesus chain
                • Oct 2008

If NCAA gets a playoff system in place for CFB, college sports will surpass pro sports by far. Ive been losing interest in NFL for a while now in favor of college, while NBA has been virtually replaced by CBB in my eyes.

All these commissioners suck.

Comment

• SHOGUN
                  4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
                  • Jul 2009

All of them suck. It's like asking who's the tallest midget.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• jeffx
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Senser81

Except for the last point, I agree with this. Stern is the master of spin-doctoring.

Comment

• Esjay
                      Luck2Hilton
                      • Feb 2009

I don't mind Goodell so much. This 18 game schedule business is really the first issue I've had so far. I don't pay attention to the NHL, wouldn't be able to judge Bettman.

1. Goodell
                      2. Stern
                      3. Selig

Stern and Selig are both dickheads imo. Stern wins by default.

Comment

• ralaw
                        Posts too much
                        • Feb 2009

1. Goodell

Other than thinking the 18 game schedule is retarded (but I understand why he's doing it) I don't have issues with Goodell. His player policy has been good for the league, but it is a bit inconsistent and his punishment seems to be levied based on media exposure. However, I thin he has good intentions.

2. Stern

I actually like Stern. Granted, he comes across as an arrogant prick at times, but I think he's good for the league. Yes, he rode Jordan's coattails and foolishly tried to latch on to hip-hop culture to rebrand the league as a way to replace Jordan, but he learned the error of his ways. Overall I think he does a good job.

3. Selig

The only time pay any attention to baseball is when guys from my area are pitching or at bat, so I don't have much of an opinion. However, it is my understanding that he knew about steriods and ignorned it, which was fine by me; however, it annoys me that he acts as if he knew nothing about it.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                          • Feb 2009

Gooddell by a huge margin.

That goes to show you what absolutely abysmal shape MLB and NBA are in in terms of leadership when Gooddell is miles ahead of you.
                          Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• ram29jackson
                            Noob
                            • Nov 2008

Stern throws games-

Selig is just a "yes" man-

Comment

• Rayman
                              Spic 'n Spanish
                              • Feb 2009

They're all pretty fucking bad.

Selig may or may not be inept, but he sure comes off as it.

Stern is evil incarnate.

Bettman is a moron.

At least Goodell pushes and image of cleanliness and accountability, even if at the end of the day, the only thing he's about is the extra dollar and I feel his schtick is a farce.

Comment

Working...