Clear All
  • ram29jackson
    Noob
    • Nov 2008

Trivial- but its about football...

Shutdown Corner ShareretweetEmailPrintWed Oct 13 08:38am PDT

Former NFL quarterback rips league's breast cancer footballs
    By Chris Chase

Former NFL quarterback Tim Hasselbeck(notes) said that the new footballs featuring a breast cancer awareness ribbon have been a "disaster" for the league.

Speaking to a radio show, the current ESPN analyst said he's texted numerous quarterbacks in the league who have complained about the slickness of the new balls.

"They're playing with these breast cancer awareness balls. These balls are brand new, right out of the bag," Hasselback explained. "Now they get slick -- I texted a couple quarterbacks during the game. They all said, 'These balls have been a disaster.' So I think that's something to note."

The balls are part of the NFL's month-long breast cancer awareness campaign called "A Crucial Catch," which is focused on the importance of annual screenings for women. They have been in use for two weeks.

[Rewind: Massive controversy over official World Cup soccer ball]

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Pro Football Talk that the ribbon balls are no different than the ones that were in play in September.

Monday night's game between the Minnesota Vikings and New York Jets was specifically mentioned by Hasseleback as an example of how the ball negatively affects play. He noted that the torrential rain and slick balls were a nasty combination. He may be right, but it also could be that the rain was the real issue and no ball, however good, would have made a difference. Whatever it was, Brett Favre(notes) succumbed to it when he fumbled an easy snap in the second quarter:

[Rewind: Cheerleaders upset about skimpy uniforms]

Complaints over new balls being slick is nothing new. In 2007 the Cowboys lost a playoff game in Seattle when a new ball slipped through the hands of Tony Romo(notes). The team complained that the so-called K-Balls, used specifically for kicking, were too smooth to snap and catch properly.

Hasselbeck wouldn't say which quarterbacks complained about the new ball. His brother, Matt, who plays for the Seattle Seahawks, threw for just 189 yards with one interception and no touchdowns in the one game he played with the slick ball. Assuming that he was one of Tim's quarterback sources, Matt would have every reason to want to blame the ball rather than his own shaky play.

Other popular stories
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

please improve your thread titles. my god

Comment

• ram29jackson
      Noob
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by EmpireWF
      please improve your thread titles. my god
      ............:wavey:

Comment

• Palooza
        Au Revoir, Shoshanna
        • Feb 2009

I didn't read the article because it was about Tim Hasselbeck. He can go die.

Comment

• Juggernaut
          Sitting on the Sidelines
          • Dec 2008

much rather read this part

[Rewind: Cheerleaders upset about skimpy uniforms]

Comment

• NAHSTE
            Probably owns the site
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Palooza
            I didn't read the article because it was about Tim Hasselbeck. He can go die.
            This. Tim Hasselbeck talking about balls is not exactly ideal light reading material.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
              • Feb 2009

Whats the current NFL rules on balls ?

I thought they FINALLY woke the hell up and allowed balls to be worked in.
              Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• padman59
                Slayer of Demons
                • Mar 2009

Sounds like his brother is using it as an excuse for sucking lately...

Comment

• JMeist
                  • Nov 2008

No wonder Aaron's been throwing so many shit throws

Comment

Working...