• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

For all the BCS haters out there..

Pick up this week's SI.

Really great article by Dan Wetzel and another author on how the BCS is actually costing schools money and it makes som great arguments against it.

I guess Wetzel also has a book out too called: Death to the BCS. I'm going to pick it up.
  • packersfan4eva
    Ryan Luxem
    • Dec 2008

Great article. Great article.

Originally posted by Miggyfan99
    I would get fucked in the ass for WS tickets too... only if Miguel was playing though

Comment

• Senser81
      VSN Poster of the Year
      • Feb 2009

The Following User Says NO Thank You to FirstTimer For This Un-useful Post:
      JeremyHight

Comment

• EmpireWF
        Giants in the Super Bowl
        • Mar 2009

PDF version of the story

Comment

• shag773
          • Jul 2009

I read it the other day. The sanctity of the bowl system was lost on me when they started playing bowl games after New Year's Day.

What pisses me off is when the NCAA says they won't institute a playoff because of the student-athlete's well being. Please.

Comment

• Bear Pand
            RIP Indy Colts
            • Feb 2009

I don't like Dan Wetzel because every year he pimps his playoff system idea which IMO is worse than what we have now.

It's a 16 team field where every conference champ makes it, with 5 at large teams. I'm sorry but that's fucking terrible and I hope if/when a playoff system is implemented it's nothing like that. Let's face it, no one cares who wins the Sun Belt / MAC / CUSA. Putting those teams in the mix just makes for unnecessary games where players on legitimately good teams can possibly get injured. I'd love to see Newton go down with a knee injury in a playoff matchup against FIU.

Comment

• FirstTimer
              Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

My idea is conference champs only. Screw at larges.

Comment

• Rush
                vsn has rizzen

• Oct 2008

Tournament play, legal marijuana....just gotta wait for the old faggots to die off so we can experience progress.

Comment

• citizenerased
                  Rugby World Cup Champion
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                  With a provision for Notre Dame too? Otherwise, you've got to be the worst homer ever.
                  Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair

Comment

• St. Francisco
                    45-35 Never Forget
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                    I can't believe after all this time you still think that's the best idea. FIU is currently in the lead in the Sun Belt...with a 4-5 (4-1) record. And somehow you think it's "fair" to put them in a playoff system ahead of one-loss LSU, essentially punishing teams for playing in power conferences. WORST. IDEA. EVER. Seriously, so bad that it makes me laugh every time you say it. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Comment

• Fox1994
                      Posts too much
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Killa Pand
                      I don't like Dan Wetzel because every year he pimps his playoff system idea which IMO is worse than what we have now.

It's a 16 team field where every conference champ makes it, with 5 at large teams. I'm sorry but that's fucking terrible and I hope if/when a playoff system is implemented it's nothing like that. Let's face it, no one cares who wins the Sun Belt / MAC / CUSA. Putting those teams in the mix just makes for unnecessary games where players on legitimately good teams can possibly get injured. I'd love to see Newton go down with a knee injury in a playoff matchup against FIU.
                      Were TCU, Boise, and Utah perennial contenders before the 2000s? The MAC and C-USA can be good one day. (Not saying they are now, but anything's possible...)

Originally posted by St. Francisco
                      I can't believe after all this time you still think that's the best idea. FIU is currently in the lead in the Sun Belt...with a 4-5 (4-1) record. And somehow you think it's "fair" to put them in a playoff system ahead of one-loss LSU, essentially punishing teams for playing in power conferences. WORST. IDEA. EVER. Seriously, so bad that it makes me laugh every time you say it. It's absolutely ridiculous.
                      Perhaps LSU could be one of the five at-larges. Maybe everyone else goes to bowl games. It's not going to matter until they decide to implement a playoff system.

Comment

• Bear Pand
                        RIP Indy Colts
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Fox1994
                        Were TCU, Boise, and Utah perennial contenders before the 2000s? The MAC and C-USA can be good one day. (Not saying they are now, but anything's possible...)
                        What's your point? I really doubt college football will ever get to the point where all the conferences are relatively equal in quality. There's always going to be shit conferences full of shit teams.

So any playoff system that gives a spot to every conference champion (and treats every conference equally) is flawed. I don't think any conference should have an automatic spot in a playoff system.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                          Probably owns the site
                          • Feb 2009

My playoff system: SEC champ plays the best of the rest.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Killa Pand

The shittiest playoff idea ever is still better than the BCS.

I'd rather see teams that don't really deserve it get a chance at the title, if that also means more teams that do deserve it get a chance also.

Anyway, anyone still against a playoff in 2010 needs to look at college hoops. What a massive failure that playoff has turned out to be. Terrible for the sport. Everyone hates it. It sucks. I sure wish they let computers pick two teams to play, while the rest of the teams left out play in dot.com sponsored single standing games. That would be fanatstic.

Comment

• Bear Pand
                              RIP Indy Colts
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                              The shittiest playoff idea ever is still better than the BCS.
                              That's not true at all, I've heard people legitimately suggest 32 or 64 team playoff fields. That would be beyond terrible.

Purdue would beat FIU in a game, but let's go ahead and implement a system where they make the playoffs.

Comment

Working...