• Show
Clear All
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Norv Turner Keeps His Jerb

Why?

From rotoworld
    Owner Dean Spanos confirmed Monday night that Norv Turner will return as the Chargers' head coach in 2011.
    GM A.J. Smith will also be back. "We have a good core, and I don’t care what anybody says," said Spanos. "I’m not afraid to make changes. If I thought it was warranted, I would do it. We have a good foundation here." Turner engineered two playoff wins in 2007, one in 2008, none in 2009, and missed the postseason in 2010. He is 40-23 in the regular season. The Chargers have a litany of key pending free agents for a second straight offseason, so Turner can expect some roster overhaul. Defensive coordinator Ron Rivera also seems certain to be a hot head-coaching candidate. Dec. 27 - 7:35 pm et

• Aso
    The Serious House
    • Nov 2008

I like how they mentioned 2 playoff wins, 1 playoff win, no playoff wins, then he missed the playoffs completely. I personally would want someone else as my Head Coach. I couldn't go through the slow starts year in and year out.

Comment

• PP
      • Feb 2010

bc they have a good core.

Comment

• Maize
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by PP
        bc they have a good core.
        This made me laugh. I think it does show that Spanos might actually be pondering selling more than a minority of the team. A.J. does a great job, Norvell is holding the Chargers back.
        "Arrive, Raise Hell, Leave" | Kentucky Wildcats
        2014 Season: 11-2 (7-2)
        Next Game: Bowl Game

Comment

• dave
          Go the fuck outside
          • Oct 2008

Norv Turner has done a good enough job to get another year.
          My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• NAHSTE
            Probably owns the site
            • Feb 2009

Reminds me of Jim Fassel in NYG. They have regressed every season, why hang on to him? They are wasting the talent they have.

Comment

• dave
              Go the fuck outside
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by North
              Reminds me of Jim Fassel in NYG. They have regressed every season, why hang on to him? They are wasting the talent they have.
              There are gonna be way too many teams looking for coaches in the off-season, why should San Diego join the fray?
              Is Norv Turner perfect? No.
              But he's significantly better than the alternatives that will be out there this off-season.

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Maize
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by North
                Great comparison, and they could have joined San Fran and fired him this week. They get a jump on talking to a few candidates and could maybe talk someone into taking over a talented roster in a decent division.

Plus, if Carolina, Cincinnati, Dallas, Denver, Houston, San Diego, and San Francisco are looking for coaches, I think San Diego would be the most attractive job. The talent of Dallas without the pressure. An offense with the caliber of Houston, but you also get a great defense. Better weather than Carolina or Cincy and a team that could make the playoffs next year, not one that will be in a rebuilding effort.
                "Arrive, Raise Hell, Leave" | Kentucky Wildcats
                2014 Season: 11-2 (7-2)
                Next Game: Bowl Game

Comment

• dave
                  Go the fuck outside
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Maize
                  I think San Diego would be the most attractive job. The talent of Dallas without the pressure.
                  If I'm a Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Jeff Fisher, etc.... I ask myself "Do I want to work for a GM so egomanical that he let's my starting left tackle and #1 WR sit for half the season just to satisfy his ego."

IMO, San Diego got fucked by A.J. Smith's ego. You have Marcus McNeill and Vincent Jackson on week 1, you make the playoffs.
                  Because Smith decided to make himself bigger than the team, the first half of their season was fucked.

And don't think for a second the team itself didn't see how Smith saw himself as bigger than the team.

Why give your all when you know that an ass-hat like Smith doesn't care.

Comment

• Wildcard
                    ®3+@®d5 = 6®0@n5
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                    Why?

The same reason Jeff Fisher still has a job. :confused2:
                    Originally posted by Leftwich 2-14-2009
                    I wasn't comparing myself to Wildcard. I honestly don't think I could compare myself to God.

Comment

• steeljake
                      6 rings...
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by dave
                      Norv Turner has done a good enough job to get another year.
                      hmmm... if 8-8/9-7 is a good enough job then what was marty's 14-2 season?

23:33 OnlyOneBeerLeft: jake nobody listens to you aint you supposed to die from cancer or somethin soon?

Comment

• Blade
                        Walking SAM site
                        • Feb 2009

He gets to keep his job untill AJ Smith leaves the Chargers. The guy is the ultimate coach for Smith, because he won't argue about any personnel decision and is a good ole "yes" man. For Turner to go Smith will have to go first, pity as we can obviously see now that Phillip Rivers is the better QB than Eli and stuck on a team that constantly underachieves despite his efforts.

Comment

• f16harm
                          -
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Aso21Raiders
                          I like how they mentioned 2 playoff wins, 1 playoff win, no playoff wins, then he missed the playoffs completely. I personally would want someone else as my Head Coach. I couldn't go through the slow starts year in and year out.
                          That's also known as the "Dave Wannstedt Formula"

exact same path that he took Miami down to sink us to the fucking level we are now. I hope that fucker has to resort to flipping burgers at McDonald's some day.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                            • Feb 2009

SD has one of the weirdest front offices ever. Im convinced they throw darts on the draft board ...but they just happen to be magic darts. They hit so big on some of these talents yet no other decision they make seems like the right one.

Turner is a brilliant offensive mind...EASY to replace as a HC...but how do you replace his offensive playcalling/gameplanning ?
                            Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• ram29jackson
                              Noob
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                              Why?

From rotoworld
                              the defensive coach is the one who needs to go

Comment

Working...