Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

It's also the only sport where the entire postseason is meaningless, except for one game.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL, WHERE EVERY GAME MATTERS (but not really, the majority of them don't matter at all) !!!1111!!!11!!!!

Comment

• JeremyHight
      I wish I was Scrubs
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
      I'm always amused by this "but, but, we have to keep the regular season important!" argument.

As i've proven time and time again, an 8 team playoff makes MORE regular season games MATTER, not LESS.

Due to the current setup, college football is the sport, with BY FAR, the highest percentage of meaningless games of any major sport. And it isnt even close.
      Tell me again how an 8 team playoff would make the Ohio State/Wisconsin game and Stanford/Oregon game matter more?

As it stands right now in our currently flawed system, both had HUGE implications on the National Title game and decided who won 2 different conferences.

With an 8 team playoff, they determined... seeding, since all teams involved are going to the playoffs anyways. Also, since both losing teams involved lost by 2+ scores, they get rewarded by getting a chance at the title.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by JeremyHight
        Tell me again how an 8 team playoff would make the Ohio State/Wisconsin game and Stanford/Oregon game matter more?
        Tell me again how TCU playing an entire schedule of meaningless games is a good thing?

Its impossible to answer your question. I cant tell you what kind of meaning those games would have under a playoff unless we knew the format. League champions only? Obviously just as meaningful. At larges? Still meaningful, and as a bonus, a shitload of other games that eneded up meaning nothing would have had tons of importance. More meaningful games = a better product.

I will sacrafice the level of of how meaningful a handful of games are, for more meaningful games and a fair playoff. Anyone with common sense would take that trade, unless of course your favorite team is part of THE CARTEL and benefits from this garbage system. Call it like it is.

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

My team has benefited twice from this garbage system, and I still hate it. I did a radio show on campus the day after we got invited to the 2007 BCS CG blasting how stupid the system is.

It sucks balls, and even if it does happen to benefit your school, it still sucks balls.

Comment

• JeremyHight
            I wish I was Scrubs
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
            Tell me again how TCU playing an entire schedule of meaningless games is a good thing?

Its impossible to answer your question. I cant tell you what kind of meaning those games would have under a playoff unless we knew the format. League champions only? Obviously just as meaningful. At larges? Still meaningful, and as a bonus, a shitload of other games that eneded up meaning nothing would have had tons of importance. More meaningful games = a better product.

I will sacrafice the level of of how meaningful a handful of games are, for more meaningful games and a fair playoff. Anyone with common sense would take that trade, unless of course your favorite team is part of THE CARTEL and benefits from this garbage system. Call it like it is.
            You are missing my point entirely. I want a playoff, but I don't want the playoff at the cost of hurting the season. You say you want meaningful games, but you have to remember, it isn't just about meaningful wins, it is also about meaningful losses.

Once you start taking in too many teams (ie. 8+), you start to take away the meaning of past games. All of a sudden, the Stanford/Oregon game doesn't matter because both teams got in regardless of the fact that Stanford couldn't even win it's conference. Now, the Wisconsin/Ohio State game is meaningless because both teams got in anyways. Now, the fact that Arkansas lost 2 games and couldn't even win their division doesn't matter, they still get in.

That isn't making games meaningful, that is making losses meaningless, which means the game was pointless.

Again, I'm all for a playoff, but a playoff that makes big time games into meaningless seeding exhibitions isn't a good format.

Comment

• NAHSTE
              Probably owns the site
              • Feb 2009

You are missing my point entirely. I want a playoff, but I don't want the playoff at the cost of hurting the season.
              Logic tells me that there is no way this would happen. More at stake = more intense regular season.

Now, the Wisconsin/Ohio State game is meaningless because both teams got in anyways.
              That game already was meaningless, because neither team is playing for shit but sponsorship money.

Now, the fact that Arkansas lost 2 games and couldn't even win their division doesn't matter, they still get in.
              They would only get in because they beat LSU in the last game of the season in a game that would suddenly matter more.

Again, I'm all for a playoff, but a playoff that makes big time games into meaningless seeding exhibitions isn't a good format.
              Meaningless exhibitions is the definition of what we have now. I'd rather let in a few too many teams than leave out even one undefeated team like TCU.

I'm down for a 4-team, works for me ... but I'm willing to compromise and go to 8. I understand it's a slippery slope though, and would be very wary of a 16-team model.

I don't care if it's 4 or 8, but I refuse to believe a playoff in any form would diminish the regular season.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

You are missing my point entirely. I want a playoff, but I don't want the playoff at the cost of hurting the season. You say you want meaningful games, but you have to remember, it isn't just about meaningful wins, it is also about meaningful losses.

Once you start taking in too many teams (ie. 8+), you start to take away the meaning of past games. All of a sudden, the Stanford/Oregon game doesn't matter because both teams got in regardless of the fact that Stanford couldn't even win it's conference. Now, the Wisconsin/Ohio State game is meaningless because both teams got in anyways. Now, the fact that Arkansas lost 2 games and couldn't even win their division doesn't matter, they still get in.

That isn't making games meaningful, that is making losses meaningless, which means the game was pointless.

You are missing my point.

I would sacrifice the level of importance of a few games, to up the importance of dozens of others.

All of those games you mentioned would still be important with a playoff. The difference, is you would also have a bunch of other games that would suddenly be meaningful also, that arent otherwise.

And without knowing the playoff format or selection process, you cant say those games would have just been for seeding. You dont know that.

And by the way, if you really want to get technical here, those games you mentioned, besides Oregon/Satnford, ended up meaning NOTHING anyway - like 99% of the college schedule ends up every year. A bunch of hype for nothing. Two one loss SEC teams playing for what? Nothing, as long as you have two undefeated teams elsewhere. It's just a bunch of hillbillies waiting for bragging rights. TCU played 12 meanigless games. Boise has NEVER played a meanigful game. It's a joke.

And a playoff solves it all.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

I would like to see wild Saturdays in November where there are a dozen or more games with title implications, not drummed up hype fests for meaningless league titles, waiting around for the one or two games that really mean something.

I dont care who wins the Pac 10 or the Big 12 if there is no national title at stake. I'm not making money off of BCS bowls, neither are any of us, so why does it matter? I cant invest my time in these games, when ultimately, they have no point.

Everyone went crazy when Boise lost, but did it really matter? Nope. If it cost them a playoff spot, now THAT would would meant something.

TCU beats Wisconsin. Unless you are a TCU fan, who gives a shit?

No sport should have these so-called important games, where ultimately, the outcome doesnt matter. Welcome to major college football, where protecting the supposed importance of some random Big 10 game in October matters more than the postseason. Huh?

Comment

• SuperKevin
                    War Hero
                    • Dec 2009

When Maryland makes it into the top 8 I'll care. Until then, I'm happy with being champs of the Military and Gator Bowls of the world

Comment

• Deviant
                      Yes, please.
                      • Nov 2008

Here's what I don't get about the BCS:

What's the purpose of the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls? Outside of gaining more exposure, it's still just as meaningless as the Meineke Care Bowl because you're not competing for the National Championship. The other BCS games are just bowl games with names.

Here's what the BCS should do:

Keep the original four bowls, but add in two more. Call it the Legend Bowl and the Leader Bowl. Cereal Bowl and Toliet Bowl. I don't care if it was called the Wipe Your Ass With Charmin Bowl, just put in two more.

I'm fine with auto-bids as long as they are given to the six best conference winner, not the six major conferences. This way, UConn, who isn't even in the Top 25 for the BCS, doesn't leap frog over teams like TCU, Boise, or Nevada who are ranked and have superior seasons. Let's be honest... the Big East was ass this year.

Now, the games of the "minor" conferences matter, because "every game [should] matter". Tiebreakers in divisions are broken by whoever has the higher BCS ranking.

So, this year, the winners would be:

#1 Auburn (SEC)
                      #2 Oregon (Pac-10)
                      #3 TCU (MWC)
                      #5 Wisconsin (Big Ten)
                      #7 Oklahoma (Big XII)
                      #10 Boise State (WAC)

Leave two spaces for the next two best teams to get in. The only auto-qualifier that should be allowed is if there is a conference champion in the Top 10. However, the only exception to his would be if a Top 5 team is still not in. They receive an At-Large and priority [essentially, an expansion of the 3-4 rule].

This allows for regular season games to mean much, much more because now anyone can have a shot at that National Championship. Teams like Stanford and LSU and OSU who are 1-loss teams have a fairer shot at getting in and their games matter even more because now they know "Hey, we're not just competing for the Rose Bowl or let's just settle for the Fiesta Bowl. We have National Championships on the line every game if we continue playing at a high level." Now, every game actually does mean something and not just a meaningless.

The top two remaining teams this year would be:

#7 Stanford [4]
                      #8 Ohio State [6]

Then, seed the teams by their BCS rankings:

Toilet Bowl: [1] #1 Auburn vs. [8] #10 Boise State
                      Soup Bowl: [4] #4 Stanford vs. [5] #5 Wisconsin
                      - - - - - - - - - -
                      Cereal Bowl: [2] #2 Oregon vs. [7] #7 Oklahoma
                      Salad Bowl: [3] #3 TCU vs. [6] #6 Ohio State

Next Round:

Pot Bowl: Toliet vs. Soup
                      - - - - - - - - - -
                      Quiz Bowl: Cereal vs. Salad

National Championship: Pot vs. Quiz

Easy. Now you can have your BCS and have the games in them actually mean something. The BCS is less stupid and keeps the entire season competitive and allows for the best teams to compete for the title and not meaningless games.

If you're interested, last year would have looked like this:

#1 Alabama (SEC)
                      #2 Texas (Big 12)
                      #3 Cincinnati (Big East)
                      #4 TCU (MWC)
                      #6 Boise State (WAC)
                      #7 Oregon (Pac-10)
                      - - - - - Wildcards - - - - -
                      #5 Florida [At-Large]
                      #8 Ohio State [AQ because Top 10 + Conference Championship]

Toilet Bowl: [1] #1 Alabama vs. [8] #8 Ohio State
                      Soup Bowl: [4] #4 TCU vs. [5] #5 Florida
                      - - - - - - - - - -
                      Cereal Bowl: [2] #2 Texas vs. [7] #7 Oregon
                      Salad Bowl: [3] #3 Cincinnati vs. [6] #6 Boise State

Back at it, yet again. Sign up here!

Comment

• FirstTimer
                        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Once you start taking in too many teams (ie. 8+), you start to take away the meaning of past games.
                        Unless you only take conference champs.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Deviant
                          Here's what I don't get about the BCS:

What's the purpose of the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls? Outside of gaining more exposure, it's still just as meaningless as the Meineke Care Bowl because you're not competing for the National Championship. The other BCS games are just bowl games with names.

Here's what the BCS should do:

Keep the original four bowls, but add in two more. Call it the Legend Bowl and the Leader Bowl. Cereal Bowl and Toliet Bowl. I don't care if it was called the Wipe Your Ass With Charmin Bowl, just put in two more.

I'm fine with auto-bids as long as they are given to the six best conference winner, not the six major conferences. This way, UConn, who isn't even in the Top 25 for the BCS, doesn't leap frog over teams like TCU, Boise, or Nevada who are ranked and have superior seasons. Let's be honest... the Big East was ass this year.

Now, the games of the "minor" conferences matter, because "every game [should] matter". Tiebreakers in divisions are broken by whoever has the higher BCS ranking.

So, this year, the winners would be:

#1 Auburn (SEC)
                          #2 Oregon (Pac-10)
                          #3 TCU (MWC)
                          #5 Wisconsin (Big Ten)
                          #7 Oklahoma (Big XII)
                          #10 Boise State (WAC)

Leave two spaces for the next two best teams to get in. The only auto-qualifier that should be allowed is if there is a conference champion in the Top 10. However, the only exception to his would be if a Top 5 team is still not in. They receive an At-Large and priority [essentially, an expansion of the 3-4 rule].

This allows for regular season games to mean much, much more because now anyone can have a shot at that National Championship. Teams like Stanford and LSU and OSU who are 1-loss teams have a fairer shot at getting in and their games matter even more because now they know "Hey, we're not just competing for the Rose Bowl or let's just settle for the Fiesta Bowl. We have National Championships on the line every game if we continue playing at a high level." Now, every game actually does mean something and not just a meaningless.

The top two remaining teams this year would be:

#7 Stanford [4]
                          #8 Ohio State [6]

Then, seed the teams by their BCS rankings:

Toilet Bowl: [1] #1 Auburn vs. [8] #10 Boise State
                          Soup Bowl: [4] #4 Stanford vs. [5] #5 Wisconsin
                          - - - - - - - - - -
                          Cereal Bowl: [2] #2 Oregon vs. [7] #7 Oklahoma
                          Salad Bowl: [3] #3 TCU vs. [6] #6 Ohio State

Next Round:

Pot Bowl: Toliet vs. Soup
                          - - - - - - - - - -
                          Quiz Bowl: Cereal vs. Salad

National Championship: Pot vs. Quiz

Easy. Now you can have your BCS and have the games in them actually mean something. The BCS is less stupid and keeps the entire season competitive and allows for the best teams to compete for the title and not meaningless games.

If you're interested, last year would have looked like this:

#1 Alabama (SEC)
                          #2 Texas (Big 12)
                          #3 Cincinnati (Big East)
                          #4 TCU (MWC)
                          #6 Boise State (WAC)
                          #7 Oregon (Pac-10)
                          - - - - - Wildcards - - - - -
                          #5 Florida [At-Large]
                          #8 Ohio State [AQ because Top 10 + Conference Championship]

Toilet Bowl: [1] #1 Alabama vs. [8] #8 Ohio State
                          Soup Bowl: [4] #4 TCU vs. [5] #5 Florida
                          - - - - - - - - - -
                          Cereal Bowl: [2] #2 Texas vs. [7] #7 Oregon
                          Salad Bowl: [3] #3 Cincinnati vs. [6] #6 Boise State
                          I could roll with this...even though the BCS rankings are still being used and you have At-Large teams.

Comment

• Deviant
                            Yes, please.
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                            I could roll with this...even though the BCS rankings are still being used and you have At-Large teams.
                            Sometimes, the best thing to do is compromise. Allow the BCS to have their system, but install a playoff using it. I'm actually kinda fine with that because the little team once in a while does win and has a shot and the entire BCS system then kinda' makes sense.

Back at it, yet again. Sign up here!

Comment

• JeremyHight
                              I wish I was Scrubs
                              • Feb 2009

I don't hate Deviant's system, but I would be hard pressed if anyone asked me to explain how Boise, Oklahoma, and Ohio State deserved a shot at the title this year?

* I don't accept "Well, if they win it, then they deserved it" because the same could be said for having a 64 team playoff and the 64th ranked team winning it all.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                                2011 Poster Of The Year
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                                Minor gripes, compared to what we have now.

Comment

Working...