• Show
Clear All
  • JeremyHight
    I wish I was Scrubs
    • Feb 2009

Tom Cable leads Oakland to best record since 2002... so he's fired

Fucking stupid ass Raiders...

Originally posted by http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5981629
    Tom Cable is unlikely to return as the Oakland Raiders' head coach in 2011, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Oakland has to decide whether to exercise the option on Cable's contract by Jan. 18.

The Raiders finished 8-8 this season despite being undefeated in the AFC West. It was their first unblemished mark in the division since 1976, but Oakland has lost four of six since a three-game winning streak put it on the cusp of the playoff picture in Week 10.

The Raiders are the first team since the 1970 merger to go unbeaten in the division and not make the playoffs.

"We are disappointed because we are not going to the playoffs, but at the same time we stuck to the goal and stuck to the plan as we have done very week, and we got our eighth win," Cable said after the Raiders beat the Chiefs 31-10 to close out their season. "I'm very happy about that."

Asked if he thinks he's coming back, Cable did answer directly.

"We're not losers anymore. We're 8 and 8," he said. "That's not what we wanted. We wanted to be a playoff team. We came here to get the sixth win, which means we went 6-0 in the division and most importantly, we are done with that losing. We are not losers anymore."

The Raiders are 17-27 since Cable became head coach, but posted their best record since 2002 in 2010-11, and this season was the first time since '02, when Oakland went to the Super Bowl, that it didn't lose at least 11 games.
    Perhaps part of the problem has been Cable's wavering on the Raiders' starting quarterback. After starting the season with Jason Campbell at the helm, Cable switched to Bruce Gradkowski when Campbell struggled. After Gradkowski separated his shoulder, Cable turned back to Campbell but insisted Gradkowski was still the starter. While Campbell was under center during the Raiders' three-game midseason win streak, Cable fluctuated between both quarterbacks throughout the second half of the year until Gradkowski reinjured his shoulder and was placed on injured reserve.

Yahoo! Sports reported on Dec. 12 that Cable was upset when Hue Jackson was hired as the Raiders' offensive coordinator and that Jackson's associates are pushing him to find another job.

Jackson denied there was a rift when asked about the story days later.
    "I don't know where all that stuff comes from," Jackson said. "We all here have a pretty good working relationship. I have known Tom here longer than probably anybody that's on this staff, other than Mike Waufle because I worked with those guys before. I was a little surprised by it. There's no truth to it."

Cable took over as the interim coach for Lane Kiffin four games into the 2008 season and was given the permanent job in Feb. 2009.

Oakland has had five coaches since 2003.
  • JayDizzle
    Let's Go All The Way...
    • Nov 2008

Fucking dumb.

If Del Rio's out in JAX, Cable can come right the fuck over here.

Comment

• Raidersabc123
      Wakka Wakka
      • Dec 2008

Cables not going anywhere I can almost guarantee it these same reports came out last year when adam schefler reported Cable was gonna be fired after the final game last year and never did
      THe MaDDeN GoD

Comment

• biggamejrs
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Raidersabc123
        Cables not going anywhere I can almost guarantee it these same reports came out last year when adam schefler reported Cable was gonna be fired after the final game last year and never did
        what he said.

Comment

• JeremyHight
          I wish I was Scrubs
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Raidersabc123
          Schefter also reported that Shell was being fired, so Al Davis came out and called him a rumor monger and that the rumors weren't true... until a few days later when Shell was fired.

Comment

• biggamejrs
            • Mar 2009

i hope Cable punches shefter.
            I like him simply for convincing Al to cut jabustas.

Comment

• Aso
              The Serious House
              • Nov 2008

Tom Cable will be gone and I understand the move. Teams are gonna be going after Hue Jackson for a head coaching job and honestly how good do any of you think the Raiders would have be this year without Hue Jackson? Probably not very. I give him more credit for the Raiders going 8-8 than Tom Cable and the Raiders are going to need someone to develop a QB because the Raiders will never go very far with Jason Campbell. I doubt an offensive line coach is going to have a lot of success developing a QB. I hope Hue Jackson is the next Raiders head coach.

Comment

• Rush
                vsn has rizzen

• Oct 2008

Gotta give props, they did better then most expected.

Comment

• Deviant
                  Yes, please.
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Rush
                  Gotta give props, they did better then most expected.
                  And they don't even know who their quarterback is!

Back at it, yet again. Sign up here!

Comment

• Raidersabc123
                    Wakka Wakka
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JeremyHight
                    Schefter also reported that Shell was being fired, so Al Davis came out and called him a rumor monger and that the rumors weren't true... until a few days later when Shell was fired.
                    Everyone knew Art Shell was going to be fired
                    THe MaDDeN GoD

Comment

• GoChargers
                      briefcase wanker
                      • Nov 2008

Yeah I remember this same report coming out last year.. I called Al Davis a moron if he was going to do it and the same goes this year.. They'd be absolutely stupid to get rid of Cable at this point

Comment

• NAHSTE
                        Probably owns the site
                        • Feb 2009

Yeah, I don't get this. I also don't get the talk of Mangini being out in Cleveland when he had them competitive in most every game and knocked off a few playoff teams, including the defending super bowl champs and New England, likely to be the next champs.

Comment

• steeljake
                          6 rings...
                          • Oct 2008

the mangini move makes sense. holmgren wants a different type of coach and used this year to evalute the team and see what talent he has. cable being fired would be down right stupid... which is why al will probaly do it.

23:33 OnlyOneBeerLeft: jake nobody listens to you aint you supposed to die from cancer or somethin soon?

Comment

• Hitman
                            Fist Pumpin to the Oldies
                            • Jun 2009

Agreed that Cable doesn't deserve to get fired, but I hope Al Davis does it. Whatever keeps the Raiders in shambles is good in my book.

Comment

Working...